Neverwinter - Interview @ Eurogamer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Eurogamer joins the crush of Neverwinter interviews but they manage to tease a bit more information out of Jack Emmert. He reveals The Forge toolset won't allow the creation of items or weapons to avoid cheating and there will definitely be some sort of fee to play. A sample:
Eurogamer: But you're adding classes after launch.
Jack Emmert: We will, you're absolutely right. But what we're saying is we're committed to making five great character classes. I'm going to be upfront and tell you exactly how it is. We'll add more afterwards. But I'd rather have a game that had five rock solid character classes than a game with 15 mediocre ones. That mediocrity sticks with the game, it just does.
Thanks, Luck Day!
More information.

Mock reviews? o_O Is he talking about usability testers?

And they are keeping with R.A.S's book. There's a big spoiler about what happen to Neverwinter at the bottom of the first page.

Overall, it sound like a Forgotten Realms DDO with a touch of 4e and less classes/levels, but more "hubs".

We're focusing our efforts on quality, not quantity.
Keep repeating this and it might end up true.

some fee to pay sure but did you read how on and on he goes about DDO saying this model always was a dud - it produced dud games. But now with DDO they've produced a business model that finally broke the WoW monopoly - with a game taht many thought was a dud itself.

Check out what he says about that as "a hypothetical"

also, "putting strict limits [on creating items and weapons]" - the interviewer hints that things like this in Aurora ruined his experience - and you might recall that was a big issue in 2002 as people were almost invited to cheat. I don't know, but most games these days include some God mode that started out as some way for the creator's to play test.

I think this one really stings to us modders because it removes something that we could be flexible with. When I asked on the MMOG forums here on the CoH Mission Architect it was said that cheating was a problem - I get the impression that Jack and Co. are seriously expanding what was made there.

So it seems some people will love this game while others will hate it.I think Ill be skipping this game next year.

yes, you've made it abundantly clear what you think.

As for me, I'm going to try and get in on the beta mentioned there at the end. Maybe I can have a little influence on the design

I'm all for polished games but is it really going to be easier in the long run to design content around 5 classes then decide to add more and just stuff them in there?

The levels they make will be designed around the skills/abilities of those 5 classes and so you can't really add a new class but just a new mix of an old class.

Its like if they made the levels without rogue in the game then added him later there would be nothing to lockpick and no traps to disarm, etc. So if you start off like this you can't really add NEW classes with new mechanics that are useless most the game.

So if you've settled on your mechanics its pretty simple from there to find all the applicable classes and add them too.

I still think it would be cool if they tried to include all the races, giant, flying, etc. And all classes. Really sat down to think about how to translate things that work well face to face in pen and paper games to a computer game. More than just lockpicking or an Int check to read the writing on the wall.

Not that I've ever played PNP, but I've played all the dnd crpgs and I feel like things lost momentum in recent years. We had BG2, NWN 1, which had the best toolkit ever… Then nothing. NWN2 had lots of classes and races, I'll give it that, but the toolkit just never happened. Can we get a new NWN 1 with a huge amount of content with 4E rules and efficient enough to make persistent worlds with? Is that asking too much?

Back
Top Bottom