GamersGate

G

I've been hearing some good things about gamersgate.com lately.
http://www.gamersgate.com/
There are some interesting games there with a very reasonable price tag and that
download thing (now that they are client-free, just download the game with a browser and install as many times you want - they promise) might be convenient sometimes.

So let's hear it about Gamersgate. Tell me everything you know or have heard. First hand experience or otherwise.

I bought kings bounty from it, I am very satisfied. The game downloaded within 30 minutes, there was a direct link to the latest patch and manual, and when I had some tech problems ( which turned out to be the fault of the developer not gamersgate) the tech support offered me a full refund.

All in all, I would buy all my games from there if I could.

I've purchased three games from them. The first two were back in the client era and they went just fine, but the third and most recent experience = not so good.

I downloaded a title this past Friday only to find it required a serial key to run- and that the key had not been provided in the download, confirmation email or my GG "My Games" locker. I emailed their support that evening, and heard back today. They encountered the same issue with a test DL, very sorry, no idea why, checking with the publisher. They asked that I wait a few days and email them again, by which time the problem might be resolved or else they could then offer me a refund. I emailed back that I'd prefer a refund today, rather than continuing to wait. I haven't received a response.

From what I understand, this kind of fumbled serial/CD key exchange has cropped up before, though previously it happened when the demand outstripped key supply in a short timeframe. Whether a nice price on a five year old title was enough to break their key bank in this case, I'm not sure, they certainly didn't try to explain it that way. More so they act as though the need for a key caught them by surprise.

Anyway- not particularly happy, and will probably look elsewhere in the future.

There were also issues with Beyond Divinity as they switched from a stand-alone installer to the web-based one, but I got great support and it all got resolved. Would definitely buy more there. (I think I have 6 or 7 games from them now)

Quality of support is definitely key. Had they immediately offered me a refund, or taken it upon themselves to suggest so much as a 10% off next purchase coupon for waiting- in fact, done anything to put a "how can we reasonably make you happy" component into the transaction- then I would willingly have given them more time. But "yep, that is a problem, check back with us in a few" just doesn't work for me.

If it had come from a physical store I would already have returned this as defective. But because I can't show up in person, customer service becomes a special dispensation rather than something I can rely upon. That's partly why I was first reluctant to try digital distribution, and it will certainly make me think twice about using GG again.

I am sorry you had such a experiance with GamersGate, none should be treated in this way as a loyal customer, probably they have several people working as support, and you were unlucky enough to get the bad guy.

ill throw my two cents into the ring on this: just bought ghost recon advanced warfighter from gamersgate... received a key that was wrong. not a little wrong, completely wrong: wrong format, wrong length. contacted support, havent heard anything from them... looks like im going to have to file a dispute with paypal.

sad thing is, this is the SECOND time ive gotten a bad key from them, out of four purchases. suffice it to say they wont be getting any more of my money. i could live with it if support was prompt about resolving problems, but they look to be as bad or worse than steam support (which is really saying something)...

make that THREE bad keys. i also bought GR:AW2...

T@GES Online Activation

Maximum number of activations reached. The product cannot be activated online.

Please contact Product Support in order to receive additional activations.

and far cry (bought all 3 on sale in the same transaction) wont run, says "dvm.dll missing, reinstall"... im not re-downloading 3+ gigs, especially when odds are it still wont work.

and still no response of any kind from support on any of my issues. ive escalated this to a paypal claim to get my money back.

youve been warned, dont buy from gamersgate. i for sure wont again.

I have bought 23 games (I'm not kidding!) from GamersGate and have had almost no problems. In fact I'm reasonably certain that the only problem I've had were download speeds.

The last few were with the non-client version of installer.

Admittedly, none of those games were the problem ones mentioned in this thread, but still for me they are a very low risk prospect that I intend to use again. And again.

Edit: however, I'll be sure to avoid any EA games for now ;)

Last edited:
well, ive now made 4 transactions with them, for a total of 7 games:

archmage, dark horizon, tarr chronicles : worked.

universe at war: had a bad key that games for windows said was already registered to another account. FINALLY got a new key that worked.

far cry: broken install image, is missing files. just confirmed 30 minutes ago that it isnt just me, my brother also bought it during the current sale and has the same error (missing dvm.dll) still no response from support.

ghost recon advanced warfighter: invalid key, still no response from support.

ghost recon advanced warfighter 2: invalid key, still no response from support.

so out of 7 games, 4 were screwed up. thats a pretty damn bad record.

i could live with it IF it didnt take DAYS for someone in support to get back to you when there is a problem. oh, they can sure tweet away in twitter all damn day, but respond to support requests from paying customers with broken games? hell no...

Between personal purchases and stuff from two review accounts, I've likely done more than 25 transactions as well with them as well. Of that, the only issue I've had is with Beyond Divinity during the installer transition.

Back
Top Bottom