Arx Fatalis - Patch & Source Code

Wow, what a dedication. Arkane Studios really earns praises. I hope this solves my 'game doesn't start' problem.

I'd be great if they could release the SDK in addition to the source code.

I mean it'd be the perfect engine for an Ultima Underworld remake :p

-Sergorn

Question - does this new patch (v1.21) include all the prior patch fixes, or do you have to install the game and each patch that is available for it ending with installing this final v1.21 patch?

@max killen,
I had the same problem with the 1.21 patch installed, always runs in a small window, black square mouse cursor, settings would not hold, etc'
So in the .cfg file i changed video=0 to video=1 (which is max screen mode) and all setting then became configurable, it might work for you?

@TheMadGamer,
Yes, just this patch is all thats needed as it includes all updates from previous patches.

Thanks Wulf!

After patching it over the GOG release the game no longer silently redirects to VirtualStore (as with v1.19), and so settings and saves and such can't be kept without running as an administrator or editing security permissions. I wonder whether their Vista/7 fixes are the cause of this. Is anyone else experiencing this behaviour?

Time to hit the storage closet again!

wow...so many people talking about arx :)
i think i will install it as well...
it's funny, that back in 2002, when arx was released, it reminded me so much of ultima underworld and that was 10 years before arx
ahhhh...almost 10 years have passed again, hope someone is creating another of these dungeon crawlers soon

If we were asked to make a list of unlikely sequels that we want to see developed, Arx Fatalis 2 would be near the top for me.

And for those of you complaining that Arx was difficult…grow some nads. ;)

This could be a precursor to making Arx Fatalis 2 since it is a good gesture to attract attention to the Arx Fatalis franchise again.

PS. Anyone having problems with settings not saving are likely on Vista/7 and should right click on the icon, go to properties, and click on the compatibility tab, check the box "run this program as administrator", and run the game. It should now save the settings.

EDIT: I just tried it on my gog version and initially it didn't work but when I checked the box to run as administrator and it works perfectly and saves the settings also. It is great playing this at 1360x768.

Last edited:
Nice! The patch also seems to correct the most annoying bug ever - some savegames loading to black screen. I don't like the ui scaling fix though - the inventory is now really tiny at high resolutions like 1920*1080. I'd imagine that makes certain sequences where you need to use something quickly from the inventory a bit harder.

Excellent news, especially the source code! :party:

Finally a fan patch and mods can be made, plenty of room for adventures since Arx 2, sadly still isn't finished.

Installed patch for the GOG.COM version for Windows XP - seems to work just fine.

Also, checked the source code - as far as I can tell, it seems to be the complete source for building a new executable. Not sure about any external dependencies it might have, but ... have at it modders!

Reinstalling! :D

Though, I had unofficial version of that patch already done by some russian coder half year back or so.

Reinstalling! :D

Though, I had unofficial version of that patch already done by some russian coder half year back or so.

No. You had unofficial repackage of 1.19 - this particular version was only released with digital download of the game (from GOG and Steam). A fan just did a diff and repackaged the new files and released them unofficially. At the time Arkane said something along the lines, that there was a difficulty applying the patch on boxed version and therefore they didn't provide an official installer. I suspect lack of interest from the boxed version publisher to be the real reason why 1.18 and 1.19 official patches never saw the light of day for boxed versions though.
1.21 is a new patch, that works with both boxed copies and digital downloads and fixes bugs, that 1.19 didn't, including a very nasty savegame corruption, that could leave you with a black screen upon loading a savegame.

I suspect lack of interest from the boxed version publisher to be the real reason why 1.18 and 1.19 official patches never saw the light of day for boxed versions though
1.18 was released for retail version. I was playing with this version some 3 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom