Risen 1 + 2...75% off

Last edited:
Nice! Didn't know it was posted already.

I paid $12 for Risen on the Xbox 360. I thought that was pretty cheap at the time, but I never realized PC gaming could be this cheap. $2.50 for a good RPG is amazing.

PC gaming is cheapest. Risen 1 was free in certain countries over the special GMG service.

I guess now would be the time to pick up risen 2 and dlc.

Never bought from GG. How do they work? Do they have a client like steam or download like gog?

It seems risen 2 is a Steamworks game. So I assume I'll just get a steam key.

Yep, just ordered and got a steam key. Good deal.

Last edited:
Hey Dart, you enjoyed Risen 2 quite a bit, didn't you?

How do you think Risen 2 stacks up to the Gothic series? I'm playing the first Gothic game now and it's really enjoyable. I'm hoping Risen 2 captures some of that same magic.

I also enjoyed the first Risen game, so I will probably enjoy the 2nd, I suppose.

Hey Dart, you enjoyed Risen 2 quite a bit, didn't you?

How do you think Risen 2 stacks up to the Gothic series? I'm playing the first Gothic game now and it's really enjoyable. I'm hoping Risen 2 captures some of that same magic.

I also enjoyed the first Risen game, so I will probably enjoy the 2nd, I suppose.

Yep, I think it was a great game overall.

I think it stacks up quite well, once you remove the impact of nostalgia.

I mean, Gothic and Gothic 2 (with NotR) were both masterpieces - and no, Risen 2 isn't quite at the same level.

But if you mod it with the popular fan patches - it's as close as you'll get to Gothic 2. You can check out worldofrisen.de (I think) - and there's a great mod tool that lets you download and apply all the popular mods. Some are for balancing and some are for the awkward visual quirks.

In terms of visuals and atmosphere - I happen to think Risen 2 is better than Gothic 2. I love pirate settings and the rain forest environments of the islands. The problem is one of repetition, because once you get to the 3rd or 4th island - you're kinda full when it comes to the tropical setting. Well, I think most would feel that way.

It's not like Gothic 1 and 2 had more variety - they were just seamless on larger landscapes, which means you're not really expecting "new" stuff as much as when you travel from one place to another. So, ultimately, I think they shot themselves in the foot by separating the landmass in that way, without adding sufficiently unique environments to each island.

But both Risen games suffer from balance issues and somewhat unfinished mechanics. It's like they didn't have time to finetune the skills and implement good enough uses for them in the game.

If I had to rate the games according to time of release and their impact on me, I'd rate them as follows:

Gothic 9/10
Gothic 2 8/10
Gothic 3 (modded) 7/10
Risen 7/10
Risen 2 (modded) 7.5/10

Something like that, I'd say.

If I had to rate the games according to time of release and their impact on me, I'd rate them as follows:

Gothic 9/10
Gothic 2 8/10
Gothic 3 (modded) 7/10
Risen 7/10
Risen 2 (modded) 7.5/10

Something like that, I'd say.

Ooo I like this game, I'll play :)

Gothic 9.5/10
Gothic 2 8/10. Gothic 2 + NOTR 9.5/10
Gothic 3 (vanilla) 6/10. Gothic 3 (CPed) 8.5/10
Risen 8/10 (Strong start, tepid later chapters/small scope)
Risen 2 (vanilla) 7/10. Risen 2 (modded) 7.5/10 (did not think the mods made a Huge difference unless we re talking about more than the cosmetic ones ?)

OT Though: Great deal this one, that people should not miss out on. Only 3-4 hours left…

Ooo I like this game, I'll play :)

Gothic 9.5/10
Gothic 2 8/10. Gothic 2 + NOTR 9.5/10
Gothic 3 (vanilla) 6/10. Gothic 3 (CPed) 8.5/10
Risen 8/10 (Strong start, tepid later chapters/small scope)
Risen 2 (vanilla) 7/10. Risen 2 (modded) 7.5/10 (did not think the mods made a Huge difference unless we re talking about more than the cosmetic ones ?)

OT Though: Great deal this one, that people should not miss out on. Only 3-4 hours left…

Nah, Risen 2 mods add .5 for me (not exactly a huge difference) - but the big cosmetic one is the foilage fix - because I found that particular visual "feature" extremely distracting.

Beyond that, there's balance mod that makes Firearms less powerful - which is a good fix, because they were excessively overpowered in vanilla. I can't say how good the implementation is, but from what I've read about it - it seems a reasonable tweak.

Beyond that, there's balance mod that makes Firearms less powerful - which is a good fix, because they were excessively overpowered in vanilla. I can't say how good the implementation is, but from what I've read about it - it seems a reasonable tweak.

Hmm sounds interesting. Will look it up when I get around to a replay, thanks.

Beyond that, there's balance mod that makes Firearms less powerful

I'll have to try to remember that. I went the voodoo route on my first playthrough but I'm going firearms the next time. I was planning to stay more of a pure pirate though and concentrate on pistols and pirate tricks rather than muskets.

I'd probably rate Risen 2 an 8/10 and that's despite the fact that I played it before the patch that tweaked the monster combat and added dodging. Going the voodoo route the first time probably had an impact there.

Still, it could have been better. Some of their design decisions were disappointing compared to previous PB titles. Like the instantaneous healing and separate screens for looting and merchants. The companion AI was inconsistent at times as well, and their decision to make NPCs invulnerable to monster attacks (in the patch) was a real head scratcher.

The problem is one of repetition, because once you get to the 3rd or 4th island - you're kinda full when it comes to the tropical setting. Well, I think most would feel that way.
So, ultimately, I think they shot themselves in the foot by separating the landmass in that way, without adding sufficiently unique environments to each island.

This.

Some of their design decisions were disappointing compared to previous PB titles. Like the instantaneous healing and separate screens for looting and merchants. The companion AI was inconsistent at times as well, and their decision to make NPCs invulnerable to monster attacks (in the patch) was a real head scratcher.

And this.

They hurt stuff pretty much close to the core of some of my favorite elements of the series and I would add the impact that their design has taken especially on vertical exploration and the "physicality" of the World/Gameplay that G1/2 had in abundance. That sandboxy feel we were saying the other day...

Hoping on a better showing out of Risen 3...

I should be fair and mention that I never played G2:NotR very much (I tend to stop once I get to the G1 area) - so maybe my rating of G2 would be higher if I finally got through it.

I've been trying to replay it a few times - but the game is pretty dated by now.

Are there any significant mods for it?

Yeah, Vurt has done a pretty good job. You do need a decent CPU though to avoid slowdowns in a couple of areas, but that should not be a problem on a modern PC.

there is also a community patch that I installed last time I played but I do not recall exactly what it fixes right now: http://www.worldofgothic.com/dl/?go=dlfile&fileid=168

If you go with it probably install it before vurts as I believe it changes textures too (?)

Edit: Details and tweaking by vurt here: http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1145749-G2-MOD-Vurt-s-Gothic-II-Graphics-Overhaul

Last edited:
Yeah, Vurt has done a pretty good job. You do need a decent CPU though to avoid slowdowns in a couple of areas, but that should not be a problem on a modern PC.

there is also a community patch that I installed last time I played but I do not recall exactly what it fixes right now: http://www.worldofgothic.com/dl/?go=dlfile&fileid=168

If you go with it probably install it before vurts as I believe it changes textures too (?)

Edit: Details and tweaking by vurt here: http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1145749-G2-MOD-Vurt-s-Gothic-II-Graphics-Overhaul

Thanks for info ;)

I have the GoG Gold version - and I hope it can run properly in widescreen and what not.

I'm trying to decide whether I should replay Gothic 2, Risen 2 or The Witcher 2 ;)

Hehe - tough choice!

Back
Top Bottom