Elemental: War of Magic - Schafer, Stern Join Team

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Whatever mistakes Stardock made with Elemental, they see, determimed to add some big names to the project as it goes forward. Various sites and the Stardock blog are reporting Jon Shafer, previously the lead designer on Civilisation V, has joined Stardock, as has author Dave Stern. Shafer will assist with the design efforts and Stern will oversee the creative writing. There's also an interview with Schafer at Shacknews:
Shack: With Derek Paxton leading continuing development on Elemental: War of Magic, what will your responsibilities be on the project?
Jon Shafer: I'll be playing the game a lot, providing design ideas and feedback to producer Derek Paxton and the rest of the team. The overarching vision for the game is already established, so I'll be doing my best to support that and make the game as good as it can be. A big focus for me will also be to evaluate the modding system and find ways to improve it. Stardock's goal has been to make Elemental a great platform that can be transformed into something very different, so I'll be lending my experience to that cause.
More information.

I can say that this is definitely not a bad thing. While I ultimately didn't like CiV, I can respect some of the things they were trying to achieve. Getting talent like the lead designer and AI developer and a legitimate writer on board can only help. It does show that Stardock is committed to making it work come hell or high water.

I suppose its time to actually look over what has been done and what is in the pipeline for Elemental.

I'm starting to think about buying it. Sadly I missed the free expansion offer they had that ended Dec 31st, and missed the $30 price Walmart had (I was out of country). Right now you can get the game for like $34 in Amazon.

Stardock's goal has been to make Elemental a great platform that can be transformed into something very different, so I'll be lending my experience to that cause.

Translated- "We made an epic fail"

Now this is your seriously mediocre game

I have to admire the tenacity with which they stick to this project, which seems to have had one of the most horribly failed launches in gaming history.

speaking of epic fail does this mean that Jon Shafer is not going to be anywhere near doing the same thing with Civ V as Stardock is doing with E:WoM - that is, actually trying to fix their disaster?

Back
Top Bottom