Jagged Alliance 2 Reloaded Announced

Dhruin

SasqWatch
bitComposer has announced a remake of Jagged Alliance 2 with a modern isometric engine, titled Jagged Alliance 2 Reloaded:
Eschborn, August 20, 2010: Jagged Alliance 2 - Reloaded will be released next year, and this multi award-winning classic will appear as a totally revamped version. German publisher bitComposer Games is currently developing a remake of Jagged Alliance 2, which will retain the tried-and-trusted game principle, but will have a totally new game look and which will address the weak points of the original. Jagged Alliance 2 - ReloadedReloaded will therefore have a contemporary 3D graphic syle in an isometric view, the user interface will be totally redesigned and an extensive tutorial will ease the player into the complex game rules system. Find out more about Jagged Alliance 2 - Reloaded and about other titles here in the Jagged Alliance universe on the new product website.http://www.jaggedalliance.com
Screens here at the official site.

More information.

I don't really know what to think about this one. It's nice to see JA2 getting some love, but to me it hasn't aged one bit since it was released. I actually LOVE its fantastic 2D graphics and animations. When I look at the 3D graphics and the 2D graphics, I really prefer the old engine. The extended tutorials should be nice though (as I mentioned a couple of days ago in the thread of JA - Online, after all these years I still haven't even come CLOSE to beating JA2, I'm so terrible at it...).

Furthermore, will it contain Unfinished Business?

Elllliot you eeediot!!

Interesting, I never saw anything about it on the GamesCom, only about JAO.

I have mixed feelings about this. JA2 is in my opinion one of the best strategy games of all times. This said... thanks to the work of many dedicated modders the game, even after 11 years, is in good shape... I still play it from time to time and it doesn't feel old at all.... I would love to see a true sequel, not a 3D remake... I don't care for graphics that much, the only thing that would make it worth the effort is the addition of multiplayer (both coop and vs), that would be awesome.

The primary reason for announcing both a normal game and a browser game is probably asset sharing. They'll use a lot of graphics and sound for both projects. Ubi does something similar for Settlers online (-> assets from the last or second to last Settlers), and I think Patrician Online also does. All 3 have in common that the devs and publisher reside in Germany. In case of Ubi they have a strong German branch including Blue Byte and the Anno games.

Not a lot of information on the website to go on. Since they still call it JA2 it sounds like its the same game. I hope they are not just redoing the graphics because after playing JA2, Wildfire, and JA 1.13 for 10 years I could really use some new maps to go with new graphics.
I'm willing to buy it to help fund future game development as I love tactical RPGs more than just about anything. For now I'm taking a wait and see attitude as the JA franchise has not been a cash cow for any developer that has owned it. Now trying to get UC-1.13 mod working for some fun in meantime.

I was all set to say something snarky about maybe it being Real Time (because that's something I love to do), but then I saw they're going to "totally redesign the interface"?!

JA2 not only has one of the best, most comprehensive and intuitive interfaces I have ever seen in a game, I think it's one of the best software interfaces I've ever seen, period.

I can see the need for an *optional* tutorial, since people haven't been willing to learn how to play a game since about the time JA2 came out.

I can see the need for an *optional* tutorial, since people haven't been willing to learn how to play a game since about the time JA2 came out.

This is bull, Screeg, something worth of the Codex and not the Watch.

A tutorial is a way to learn how to play a game. Digging yourself into sth as complex as JA is another way to do it. None is better or worse. I like tutorials if they are optional an non intrusive.

okthxbye

A steep learning curve implies that someone actually has an equally steep intelligence or at least skill of learning it, so to say, imho.

This is bull, Screeg, something worth of the Codex and not the Watch.

A tutorial is a way to learn how to play a game. Digging yourself into sth as complex as JA is another way to do it. None is better or worse. I like tutorials if they are optional an non intrusive.

okthxbye
That's what I said, an optional tutorial, as opposed to one that's integrated when you start the game, like in Oblivion.

Okay, I agree, this is an additional possible reason.

Which reminds me of the complexity of Linux …

Making things complex is easy as … well, anything.

Making things simple is actually hard work. That's why geeks & nerds love it being complex. And Linux, too.

That's my personal opinion.

And if you don't believe me : Just try it ! ;)

Back
Top Bottom