Chaos Chronicles - Screenshot Update

This is the first time for me to hear about this game. I think this looks very promising. Some screen shots remind me of a modern Baldurs Gate! Looking forward to seeing more about this game!

I am seriously hyped about this game. It looks great and the interview they did at RPGCodex a while ago seemed very promising. Every time I look at screenshots I feel however, a sharp, piercing pain between my shoulder-blades, as I can feel how easily this can be converted into a "decent-yet-lacking" Diablo-style action RPG, with just enough Divine Divinity in it to not let me ignore it, but feel disappointed. And then I look at the About page. And my face starts radiating like the December Sun over the snow-buried village on Christmas day.

Back to the roots! Chaos Chronicles uses a turn-based fighting system (hexgrid!) that will put a smile on the face of every fan of traditional RPGs

The screenshots look very nice and also makes the game look close to completion. I can't keep all these games straight. Is this a kickstarter project or a more normal indie-type game. It looks good. Anyone following this one?

This is quickly jumping on the top of my most anticipated games.

The screenshots look very nice and also makes the game look close to completion. I can't keep all these games straight. Is this a kickstarter project or a more normal indie-type game. It looks good. Anyone following this one?

from what I've gleaned from their website, they are an independent game developer out of Munich. The game itself is being funded by a film/TV fund.

The Chaos website has a lot of interesting reading on rpg mechanics, analyzing different rpg's, and also the direction they plan to take the game. It seems like they are very serious about making a solid old school RPG, but with modern tech.

This is looking very promising!

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8420

Other delicious quotes:

Chaos Chronicles intentionally aims for players who are into classical role-playing games and tactical turn-based combat. I am not sure how hardcore you need to be to enjoy our game, but you should be familiar with terms like ‘Armor Class’ , ‘Attack of Opportunity’ and ‘Saving Throws’.

PO: Since we are using the 3.5e OGL, our combat will not be so different from ToEE's. The main difference will be our hexagon grid. All 3.5e OGL combat rules are designed for squares and ToEE has no grid at all. That’s why we are investing much time to adapt 3.5 actions and spells to our grid. I think introducing this hex-grid to 3.5e will be the main improvement of our game.

The spell system will be very similar to the 3.5e open game content but with some minor improvements. For example, in Chaos Chronicles the Wizard doesn’t need to memorize one particular spell to use it later – he can choose from any spell in his book as long as he has free daily ‘slots’ for this spell level remaining. In this way, the player will also use very exotic spells that are usually never been taken since nobody wants to waste a slot for them.

We are offering an open world gameplay. You can walk wherever you want as long as you survive the encounters. Our world map is very similar to games like Ultima or Phantasie. While walking through the wilderness you will discover more and more locations . The main plot will lead you to some specific locations, but you decide when to go there.

Automatic level-scaling? Kill it with fire! No, seriously, it already ruined ‘Oblivion’ and we will not repeat that mistake in our game. There are different monster types of different levels in different areas of the world. Therefore, as the player you should be very careful where you are roaming.

We don’t have item spamming like in Torchlight or Diablo. Our item system is a bit more low-magic, even a +1 weapon is already very powerful and expensive. The player will find magical artifacts, but in the beginning of the game even some simple rusty melee weapons will be a big help to survive.

Yes, this is one of the main attractions to follow.

Everything sounds pretty good to me with the exception of the hexagon grid. I prefer to not actually see any kind of grid during battles. I hope they include an option to hide it.

Since we are using the 3.5e OGL

What does "OGL" stand for?

*Edit* Duh... nevermind.

The small details and touches present in some of those screens is pretty amazing. I have to echo a previous post in that this is rising quickly to the top of the most anticipated list for me.

Anyone following this one?

Yes, I am following it. Not to worry. It's true they made that Jagged Alliance game, but they explained in an interview that it was a contract job (I think?), and anyway from everything I've read they seem appropriately Hardcore™ in all the right ways. Hexgrid is definitely hardcore.

Back
Top Bottom