Anachronox - Now Available on Steam

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Steam annouces that Anachronox is now avaiable for purchase. Don't forget it's also available on GOG for those that hate DRM.

Anachronox is Now Available on Steam!

Join Sylvester "Sly" Boots and Stiletto Anyway as they trek across six bizarre planets investigating a galaxy-crushing mystery, searching for artefacts from an extinct alien race and unlocking the secrets of a powerful, advanced technology. It's your turn. PICK YOUR POISON.
More information.

Last edited:
Probably will replay it in next months, but still waiting for:
1. remake that gets rid of grinding but keeps the story, bugs-combat-system and quests
2. KS Anox2 project

Even today I can't believe how underrated this game was and still is. Probably has to thank Daikatana on that.

Anyway, watch your step. If you fall, I get all your mystech!

I still play it occasionally it's a shame the second game was never finished to complete the tale.:tears:

Very fond memories of this. Brilliant humor (subjective, I know) and epic story, although I found the ending to be a bit of an anti-climax. A Kickstarter campaign for a sequel would be very welcome in this respect, but I'm not sure how popular it would be. As I recall, Anachronox was rated well, but didn't sell heaps and bunches.

Just really started the game and don't see any grind. You follow the story, right? It is old looking by today's standards but story is fun. If the game does get grindy I'd probably quit but fun so far.

Wow, I REALLY have fond memories of that game! Too bad, it never had the sequel to show how the story was going on. Too many cool games which never were continued in sequels.

I tried playing the GOG version. It was fairly neat at first and I liked the combat but once I got off Anachronox it went downhill fast. I got to the Warship Bay in Democratus and quit out of boredom. Still, that's quite a few hours for a game that was pretty cheap.

Eliot, exit then reenter an area - mobs are respawned.
But it's far from annoying like Skyrim respawns. Most of the time you don't really need to pass through the same areas 2387563486538764 times and get attacked by something you killed already.
Follow the story, it's rich, it's crazy, it's bizzare and trust me, some things you've never seen anywhere else. Don't quit too early like Zloth did.

Zloth, downhill? Man… You've missed the most spectacular parts! And new party members! Hell, can't remember now if it happens before Democratus, but did you learn what are those yucky bugs all over Anachronox actually used for? But okay… At least you've watched Stilleto dance.

Last edited:
I installed it tonight (GOG version) and played for about an hour.

The world and characters are surprisingly interesting so far, and the game doesn't look as bad as I was expecting considering the engine it uses. I can't say whether or not I like the combat yet since I didn't partake in any besides training.

One thing I despise though is the camera. Is there any way to lock it like a typical third-person view instead of having to move the cursor to the edge of the screen to look around?

You can't lock it.

Please, just please, do not abandon the game in the middle of it.

Please, just please, do not abandon the game in the middle of it.

It's highly unlikely that I'll make it that far. I can't stand having to constantly move my mouse in wide arcs just to look around. It's a curious design decision for sure and not one that I like at all.

It's an old design and one of a few lil' annoyances that scream "remake me!".

One thing I despise though is the camera. Is there any way to lock it like a typical third-person view instead of having to move the cursor to the edge of the screen to look around?

Did not play Anachronox but this camera thing looks like the system in KOTOR, although you can use free mouse look option in KOTOR. I guess this is due to relying on the mouse pointer to interact with the environment (like KOTOR).

Did not play Anachronox but this camera thing looks like the system in KOTOR, although you can use free mouse look option in KOTOR. I guess this is due to relying on the mouse pointer to interact with the environment (like KOTOR).

It's been a long time since I played KotOR but I seem to remember the camera being normal for a 3rd-person game.

In Anachronox, the only way to move the camera is to move the cursor to the edge of the screen. It makes for some very awkward controls if you're trying to look at something and move at the same time.

I have fond memories of this game too, the story truly was epic and there are parts of it that stayed with me even years later.

Sadly though the combat becomes extremely painful and tedious, especially later in the game. Even leveling up was boring as there is no character customization.

It's a testament to how great the story/world was when I still love the game so much despite the actual gameplay being poor.

Never cared for the game - and I remember it being awkward and clunky even upon release, so I have no hope of getting into it now.

But it's nice to see so many classics come out and be reasonably playable on modern systems all the same.

Zloth, downhill? Man… You've missed the most spectacular parts! And new party members! Hell, can't remember now if it happens before Democratus, but did you learn what are those yucky bugs all over Anachronox actually used for? But okay… At least you've watched Stilleto dance.

He stopped there, so he didn't realize that Democratus is the slowest part of the game.

It's funny I can't think of a single game with great gameplay and great story.... !

Back
Top Bottom