Winter-Themed RPG's

You have already mentioned Icewind dale, but there are some great mods for it out there as well. My favorite would be Icewind Dale NPCs. It lets you play with five NPCs, each with their own dialogue and background story. Most if not all of the text is even voice acted at a very impressive level for a mod.

I would really recommend getting it, if you are planning to do an Icewind dale play though, the 5 NPC characters are seamlessly worked into the game world and if you didn’t know it. You would think the where a part of the original game.

There is nice wintery area in dark souls called Painted World of Ariamis. It's an old run down castle ruin with lots of undead. One of my favourite areas of the game. It's a small part of the game though.

There's a little survival flash game called Snowdrift that's all about winter — and darkness, creating a bridge to the "dark themed RPGs" thread. I've only played day 1, but it seemed very atmospheric.

If MMOs are valid, then Lord of the Rings Online have some of these areas like Misty Mountains, Forochel (the water of the bay in that area is freezing and players die in seconds if they enter the water) and Wildermore

Elder Scrolls I & II come to mind, I hugely enjoy their wintery bits. Also the Ultima Underworlds have that dank, dark, uncomfortable feel (that I didn't get from, say, Arx Fatalis).

Heroine's Quest, a point&click adventure game (free) which is based on Nordic mythology and created in Quest for Glory style gameplay. It is full of winter and can be considered as a RPG for having character development and fighting.

And obviously Realms of Arkania: the Blade of Destiny. Many brave warriors who wanted to find that sword died due to frostbite or by charlatan healers (I wish they would implement charlatan healers to remake as well).

it is non-stop snowing since yesterday and the outside world has turned into a belated winter wonderland and so I feel like necroing this thread with a game nobody has mentioned yet: Aleshar - World of Ice.

afaik it's a single character isometric turn-based RPG released in the late 90s and the developer has made it freeware in the early 2000s.
I've tried to play this game on my last 3 computers, but had no luck because of various issues that made Aleshar unplayable. maybe it's time to try playing this game for the fourth time.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 seems to have a LOT of winter going on.

Yeah, nice thread necroing. ;) Although the snow here melted completely again.

*Vikings - Wolfs of Midgard. As a Viking-style Diablo clone, it naturally has some snow areas. But not exclusively.

*Borderlands 2 starts off quite icy, too.

*Elex has the snowy biome in the north.

*The Game of Thrones RPG from Cyanide starts at the Wall (for one character at least), so also winter.

But I'd call none of them winter-themed. It's always only just one area of many. I guess, a white landscape can get quite bleak after a while. So the ones who dare to stick to that are quite rare.

Hm, but these may count actually:
*Caverns of the Snow Witch
*Winter Voices
*The Huntsman: Winter's Curse
*I am Setsuna
*Praey for the Gods (early access)

as far as I can remember only the first episode of Winter Voices was actually winter-themed. the rest of the game was also bleak and depressing, but the snow was gone.

other RPGs with wintery areas that haven't been mentioned (just for completeness, most people here will already have played them or at least heard of them):
- PoE: White March
- PoE 2: Beast of Winter
- Bard's Tale 4
- Expeditions - Viking
- Witcher 3 (Skellige Island)

Heroine's Quest
Yeah, I'd say it's an rpg/adventure game, as you can choose between three classes and each of them plays differently. I'd definitely recommend giving it a try, considering it's free.

edit: And thank you for the necro. :) I love winter-themed landscapes in games, ever since playing IWD.

That reminds me, I need to play ICY: Frostbite Edition.

Back
Top Bottom