Planescape: Torment - Now Available on GOG!

I'd say PS:T falls into this category:
"2. A work of outstanding creativity, skill or workmanship."

I can't think of a game that involved a higher level of creativity, especially regarding the design and writing. It's certainly unique.

So, I'll just hold on to my little opinion that no game - and in fact, nothing at all, can ever be objectively good. At least not until we can be certain of truth.

Ok, let's try another medium, shall we? Can you name objective masterpieces in the following pairs?

A Song of Ice and Fire vs. Inheritance Cycle
Don Quixote vs. Tarzan
Hyperion Cantos vs. Battlefield Earth
Le Père Goriot vs. Winnetou

I can. I may not always like the perceived objective masterpiece the most, but that's not the point.

You've missed the Iliad or the Odyssey vs. the Gilgamesh Epic ;)

Ok, let's try another medium, shall we? Can you name objective masterpieces in the following pairs?

A Song of Ice and Fire vs. Inheritance Cycle
Don Quixote vs. Tarzan
Hyperion Cantos vs. Battlefield Earth
Le Père Goriot vs. Winnetou

I can. I may not always like the perceived objective masterpiece the most, but that's not the point.

No, I can't - as there's no such thing as an objective masterpiece.

What people perceive is irrelevant. We don't get to decide what's objectively true, and I'm glad - as most people are morons.

However, some of those books might be considered masterpieces by the general public - and as such they can be referred to as masterpieces. Not objective masterpieces - but, as you say, perceived masterpieces.

Then again, as long as Avatar is considered a masterpiece by millions - I prefer to completely ignore the concept as a starting point, and judge for myself.

Last edited:
You make one mistake : You don't see that people can decide upon a distint set of rules which they agree upon to be able to define something they then call a "masterpiece".

Once the people decide to follow these "rules", they can call any piece of work a "masterpiece".

It's like putting something down into algorithms.

Then again, as long as Avatar is considered a masterpiece by millions - I prefer to completely ignore the concept as a starting point, and judge for myself.
You are forgetting, that Avatard was made by James Cameron, the author of the greatest gravity defying turd in the history of movies. Boring Dances with Wolves rehash as it may be, Avatard is still a minor sin compared to Turdtanic.

If/when they get BG2 on GOG, I'll proably buy it. When I bought ToB, I got it off eBay. Wasn't until years later I realized it was an illegal copy from some guy in a former soviet republic! So I guess I owe Interplay anyway.

I wasn't going to buy BG, but I think I will. Just will be nice not to have to deal with all the discs or worry about making sure to have the CD key, or having to have a disc in the drive (or use a no-cd hack). Of course, I'll wait until GOG fixes their download issues.

Avatar was a visual and technological masterpiece. It just was sorely lacking in the story and acting components!

What does this "turd" and "tard" thing actually mean ?

- A turd is a pile of crap.
- Tard is basically just the lazy, "slang" version of retard.

Avatar was a visual and technological masterpiece.
Not in 3D, it was like looking to a 2D movie with subtitles floating in front of it (I watched it with subs).

- A turd is a pile of crap.
- Tard is basically just the lazy, "slang" version of retard.

Okay, thanks, I learned something anew ! :lol:

(And I thought it reminded me of the word "turtle" … ;) )

"It's a turd !"
"It's a Tard !"
"It' a Tarp !"
"No, it is a Trap !"

Back
Top Bottom