What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I would but I'm not a troll enough to start something like that, plus I don't have a series masterpiece in my country to share in the first post like for example Dartagnan could (Forbrydelsen).

Forbrydelsen is very good, but not quite a masterpiece.

However, we do have a masterpiece called Matador.

Not quite a masterpiece? I couldn't disagree more. :)

Sorry, haven't watched Matador, dunno where to watch it/rent it. :(
In fact I haven't heard of it. But if I get a chance, I won't skip it.

Prometheus
Basically what bloodlover wrote. Weak story after a good premise, few interesting characters, idiotic behaviour was the norm, rarely any suspense, not much action. Only Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace had a couple of good scenes. Looked great though.
D.

Six Bullets
JCVD rescues a teenage girl in Eastern Europe. A bit too long, the best scene right in the beginning, but apart from that a solid B-Action flick. A better routine product, if you like cheap violent movies.
C.

Stash House
A B-thriller with our favourite Swedish tank as the villain. Only one location, but competent visuals. Also standard stuff, but after the slow beginning it actually creates some suspense. So I guess it's quite okay for this genre.
C+.

The Expendables 2
Faster, harder, more than part 1. And also more campy scenes, much more oneliners and more Arnie and Bruce. I liked JCVD as Vilain. (Yes, that's his name.)
I think the slower first movie was better, but this is certainly the most spectacular B-action flick in years.
C+.

Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Hunter
Highly polished trash. Story, suspense, gore and interesting characters were polished away. Mildly entertaining as a popcorn action flick.
D+.

Finally saw The Avengers. 6/10. The movie needed more of the Hulk and less of "Arrow to the knee" guy, Cpt. America and that useless chick that had no powers except her vagina.

edit: Cyborg Girl - 8/10. Nice romantic comedy ^.^

Never underestimate the power a vagina can sometimes have.

True on so many levels ;)

And in terms of the movie and its appeal having a strong female character supposedly played heavily into the success across wider audiences. Personally I thought the movie was well done but it was a reminder that comic book movies have a limited appeal to me.

After the horrible, horrible Abraham Lincoln-flick (horrible mostly because I actually forgot that it was the last movie I saw ... had to think really hard today before I remembered that there had been a movie between Madagascar 3 and that of today) I've seen the rather entertaining Hotel Transsylvania.
I rather liked the knights, yes I did. And then I discovered that it had been directed by Genndy Tartakovsky of the Clone Wars micro-series (and others). The kid loved it, but I thought he would - he loves most kid movies.

I just watched (on BluRay DVD) We bought a zoo. A great movie and a recommendation to anyone. Be sure to watch the extra material on the disc. Great stuff. Grade: A

I also watched, om BluRay DVD, a movie called The Music Never Stopped. Based on a professor's writing The Last Hippie it tells the story of a young 27-28 year old in 1977 who still thinks it is 1968. In this year he drops out of school. And 10 years later he is discovered in he streets of New York. Watch the movie as it the plot reveals itself. And tells us about the healing power of music not only in the young man relationsships with his father, but also as healer of the generation gap, as I see and interpret it. Grade A+

Total Recall (the new one) - quite good actually. The CG was awesome and I also have a soft spot for cyberpunk so you can imagine how I drooled over some parts of the movie.

Also it had Kate Beckinsale. <3

Ain't that odd?
Just seen new Total Recall too.

Pros - non-stop action, no yucky romances, superb CGI, awsome sound/music, not bad story and - boobs too. Three. :)

Cons - a few hardly bearable/believable scenario bases that the rest of the plot is built upon. And the movie's title is… wrong.

If you're going to watch this, all you need is to forget everything about Verhoeven's masterpiece. And you'll very much enjoy it. If this movie wasn't named "Total Recall", it'd probably be praised as an awsome sci-fi action movie.
I mentioned scenario/story problems. Imagine this, a spec op is pretending for 6 months to be someone's wife - instead of, because of her extraordinary skills seen later, instead of being used elsewhere. While Verhoeven "patched" this obvious hole by putting a bullet into Sharon Stone's head (a blasphemic move that felt so wrong, how can you kill Basic Instict star at the beginning of the movie but in fact was a touch of a genius). It's not the only problem, just is the most obvious.

In some other world, this movie could be Deus Ex:HR or somehting from that setting with DX title. The sound in the movie actually feels like ripped of DX:HR game. And we'd say it's probably the best gamebased/themed movie.

By forcing the name Total Recall on it, authors didn't make a favor to themselves, but it resulted in the opposite effect as everyone compared it to the movie with last action kindergarden cop hero (;)).

In the end, with all this flaws, I liked this one. It's not a masterpiece, but definetly deserves:
B

Oh and… Donnie Darko.

Critics say 100%, 10/10. Audience too.

I say that it's the greatest bullshit I've seen in my life. It's worse than Dracula 3000. No sorry, Dracula 3000 is a masterpiece comparing to this.
I'd rather watch a 24 hours marathon of repeated Ankle Biters than this ultimate rubbish ever again.

If possible:
G

Last edited:
You are a very polarized person, joxer. ;)

12 Angry Men
Great film, with a minimal set but ever so interesting dialog. I need to watch more of the classics ...

Watched Total Recall, and agree with Joxer's evaluation. Plenty of mindless action, but a good and belivable world created. Dissapointed that there is no Mars, and perfer the original with Arnold.

So positives:
- Belivable world,
- satisfactory action,
- Jessica Biel (never over powering or dominant, she is like a gentle soothing breeze in the background, a beautiful woman).

If you are in the vibe of this movie, I totally recommend playing the underrated Syndicate 2011: almost has the same story and twist, brilliant single player with excellent co-op (which can be played alone). Beware however, the enemy AI is hard to punishing.

12 Angry Men
Great film, with a minimal set but ever so interesting dialog. I need to watch more of the classics …
Yes, all time classic. The remake from the 90s is also pretty good.

Quite surprisingly movies haven't become better in the last decades. Technology advances, more is possible now, but movies as a whole are different - but not better.

Continue with Judgement at Nuremberg or Witness for the Prosecution (Billy Wilder's version; the remake with Diana Rigg is also very good) if you haven't seen them yet.

Back
Top Bottom