I want to translate Goldenland to English please help me

I have always wanted to play this....it is a russian version of baldurs gate like game I thought.

Do you also translate stuff like the name of the Priest that is shown in your first screen, "Kotar, el sumo sacerdote"? Kotar, the [whatsoever] priest? Although that probably gets difficult and might break quests, etc.

It's possible to translate every name, location, menu,etc, and I'll translate them too. But, dialogs are the most difficult and time consuming part. So, first the dialogs, then the quest, location, etc. descriptions, last part will be the NPC, location, skill names and menu descriptions. The most difficult part about translation is you can not change the size of the texts, add one letter, you can't run the game any longer, it gives an error screen. So, using an hex editor is a must.

If I'll be able to handle this translation, I'll begin to translate World Of Chaos (a German RPG). Maybe Not The Time For Dragons (Or whatever it's name) in the future, if the devs will abandon the english translation.

Sweet. Great job on the English translation and good luck with it.

I was just looking into getting this game but I cant find it anywhere. Anyone know where to get in in the US?

I will try to help Gokyabgu with translation but there is a huge amount of work to be done. There are also many speech files in Russian which are not activated in Spanish version or so it seems.
I also contacted the developer if they can provide any files (even partially translated) but no answer so far. I know there must be some work done since there are screenshots with English text all over the net.

I have the Spanish version now but for some reason I haven't loaded it up thanks to Civ4. I'll see how it goes.

Maybe it is not such a good idea to translate Spanish version. According to this post it is terrible
I only have played the game for a couple of hours, so take my impressions with a grain of salt.

The setting appears to be reminiscent of Arcanum: a world of fantasy with some technology thrown in. There are fire weapons, for example.

Some game mechanics are somewhat similar to Fallout and Arcanum, too. The character generation system is classless and uses a point buy system for atributes and skills. Aside from the usual fight- and magic-related skills, there is and "oratory" skill that gives you more options in dialogues, a "merchant" skill that cheapens the prices of items, a "steal" skill, etc... There aren't any stealth-related abilities, however.

Weapons in the game degrade with time. You can also combine some items to form others. There are recipes with the viable combinations spread through the game, but you are free to experiment.

I dont't know if you can have followers. I haven't encountered anyone so far that I could enlist.

The Spanish translation and manual are terrible, i hope the english ones will be better. It is difficult to know what some spells do in game terms. There is in-game help in form of tooltips, but sometimes they are as confusing as the manual.

The dialoge is totally inane and flavorless, maybe the translators's fault.
The very few quests i have completed were mainly of the fed-ex type. Maybe it gets better later on.

I found another preview by worthplaying. Lot of screenshots with English user interface, character screens..
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=18458

Dark Savant the parameters for repack sdb.pak:

burutpak m -apsdb\ -m9 -r sdb.pak sdb\*.*

m : move files to the archieve command
-apsdb\ : set 'sdb' path inside archieve
-m9 : maximum compression
-r : this command construct exactly the same subfolders under sdb folder to the archieve (so it's very important)
sdb.pak : archieves name
sdb\*.* : all the files under sdb folder

Maybe it is not such a good idea to translate Spanish version. According to this post it is terrible
The Spanish translation and manual are terrible, i hope the english ones will be better. It is difficult to know what some spells do in game terms. There is in-game help in form of tooltips, but sometimes they are as confusing as the manual.

I know that in some places the Spanish translations are terrible, especially with random dialogs with folks. I think some of them stem from the original Russian versions' poor dialog writing, but some of them come from the wrong translation. Some of them totally has no meaning. At these situations I change the sentences to a form that at least bear some meaning. At least main quest and side quest dialogs are understandable, they can easily be translated.

Main reasons why I haven't been using the Russian version. First Russian version uses the Starforce protection method which I hate so much. Second, and most important reason, Russian online translators are not so capable like Spanish translators. Bec, Spanish language structure resembles to the English far more than Russian. So Spanish translation results are generally better than Russian.

I tried to contact with the devs of Goldenland too. But, there was no answer from them. I think none of them knows English.

Dark Savant, I checked your materials.sdb file. I am sorry but you changed the item descriptions' coordinates, these changes make the file unplayable. Try to change them with hex editor without change their coordinates. Thanks for your efforts, my friend. I'm waiting your new translations.

Thanks for the command lines. You are right, the file becomes unplayable. The fact you have to keep 100% the same coordinates makes translation quite difficult as you can`t always use proper words.

I tried to contact with the devs of Goldenland too. But, there was no answer from them. I think none of them knows English.
I don`t think so. There are many articles with developers in RPG Codex database.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/gamedetails.php?id=40

It would be so easier if we could get some (even partially) translated files. If you read this preview from Worthplaying

you can see that it was pretty much completely translated.
It was released in Russia in December of 2003, and is currently being ported for a US release. All the menus and text boxes have been translated, but the actual voices are speaking Russian. The folks doing these snippets of dialogue sound pretty good, but for all I know could be the William Shatners of St. Petersburg.

The good news - I managed to find Czech version of the Game via my friend in Czech Republic. It is quite cheap there, some 6-8 EUR and he has already sent the package. I expect to receive it till this weekend. Will report as soon as I try the game.

Last edited:
you can see that it was pretty much completely translated.

God, what a waste . . . amazing that none of the developers thought to release the almost there version, even if sales are weak it's some extra cash.

I'm a big believer in subtitled games. Distributors/Developers, forget the cost of redoing the voice acting and just release a subtitled versions of these German, Russian and Chinese RPGs I'm missing!

Last edited:
The good news - I managed to find Czech version of the Game via my friend in Czech Republic. It is quite cheap there, some 6-8 EUR and he has already sent the package. I expect to receive it till this weekend. Will report as soon as I tried the game.

Dark Savant, is this Czech version has english dialogs? If so, please send me those files. There also is an English version of Heath (First game in the series, Goldenland is known as Goldenland 2 while Heath knowned as Goldenland) but I can't find it anywhere.

If there is already an English version of Goldenland then no need for me to make one. Then, I will perhaps begin to translate Worlds Of Chaos from German to English. :)

As far as I know it is in Czech with Russian voiceovers where available. I will look at all files if there is any indication of English. As my friend told me the box cover is fully in Czech and the game is still sealed so I will have to install and check the content.:D

I own an English version of Heath for a long time. You can buy a used copy from time to time on ebay.co.uk. for cheap.

Here is one right now
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEATH-PC-GAME...s_JS?hash=item4146c188db&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

more info
http://www.tothegame.com/pc-1986-heath-the-unchosen-path-for-pc.html

While I was searching the czech version of Goldenland I came across these screens. Whether they are from the czech version or not, I don't know.

Attachments

• GoldenLand01.jpg
    GoldenLand01.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 75
  • GoldenLand05.jpg
    GoldenLand05.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 74
  • GoldenLand08.jpg
    GoldenLand08.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 70
  • GoldenLand09.jpg
    GoldenLand09.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 66
  • GoldenLand12.jpg
    GoldenLand12.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 70
Gokyabgu, if you're not buying that could you let me know as I wouldn't mind giving it a go?

Thank you

You can buy that, friend. I can't buy that right now.

Back
Top Bottom