Alpha Protocol - Delay PR

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Sega and Obsidian have finally commented on the Alpha Protocol delay, although the joint press release avoids any real detail. Interestingly, there are two different versions floating around - the US version suggests the delay is to polish the game, while the European one speaks more of building the marketing and finding the right release window. Here's the first, courtesy of Blue's:
“Alpha Protocol is a new take on the RPG genre and from day one the team has been working to make Alpha Protocol a truly unique game for players to experience.” says Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment. “We’re very happy that SEGA has made the decision to hold back the shipment of the game in order to give it the best chance at becoming the publishing success that we at Obsidian and our partners at SEGA are striving for”.
“Since the inception of Alpha Protocol, SEGA has recognized the potential for the game to establish itself as an AAA title.” says Masanao Maeda, President and COO, SEGA of America, Inc. “We’ve worked in conjunction with Obsidian Entertainment in making the decision to move Alpha Protocol’s ship date to spring 2010 to ensure that we have the best game possible at launch.”
...and the second, via CVG. Only the second paragrah changes:
"Alpha Protocol has been a very promising title since the beginning of the development cycle." Added Sega Europe MD, Alan Pritchard. "By pushing Alpha Protocol to Spring 2010, we can ensure that the game will be released in the best commercial release window possible and will also receive the focus this true AAA titles deserves."
Obsidian's Matthew Rorie adds these comments on the official boards:
Sorry again for the long delay in putting out something official. It was frustrating for everyone involved, including you guys, I'm sure.

I don't think I should extrapolate on the press release too much at this time; just keep in mind that, in the end, this is going to help Alpha Protocol achieve the greatest success possible for it. The game is going to get a good coat of polish to it, and it's also hopefully going to become more visible to the gaming community at large. So that's a win-win for everyone. It sucks that it won't be coming out for a while, but it'll be awesome when it does.
More information.

I think it will benefit from a delay. I don't think there was widespread awareness of it. And shooter type games are a more crowded genre. Which means a game can be quickly forgotten as new ones regularly come out.

Next year will also be competitive. But hopefully they use the time well to market and polish it.

You mean it ISN'T coming out last week? ;)

I'm reposting this from the Chirs Avellone interview because it's more relevant here.

Avellone:
Essentially, on Alpha Protocol the Obsidian design staff is now acting as quality assurance as well, playing the game frequently and just looking for new bugs since our bug queues are pretty low and most people have moved off to other projects.

Very interesting, most of the speculation about the AP delay was that it was full of bugs and not ready for release yet. But Avellone says it has very few bugs, and if most everyone has moved to other projects, it's doesn't sound like a major overhaul pushed by the publisher like some have speculated. Perhaps the delay really was to avoid the competition of DA, Risen & MW2.

Back
Top Bottom