Legends of Eisenwald - First Impressions @ IndieStatik

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
IndieStatik got a beta build of Legends of Eisenwald and like to share their thoughts on the game.
The combat engine feels and looks like a blend of HoMM (back when it was hex-based) and Disciples. An initiative bar at the side shows what order you and your enemies are going to be taking their turns in, and most of the time you’ll just be giving simple ‘move to this hex, attack this guy’ orders. There are some support units such as clerics and herbalists, but nothing too taxing at this point. I’d imagine that there’ll be more interesting abilities layered onto the formula as the campaign advances, though. As you can see from the screenshots, this is a pretty game. Production values are great all round, and animations are smooth. There’s quite a lot of detail to the authentically medieval gear worn, and even the long-haired Baroness character wears a convincing looking ensemble of plate, chain and leather.
More information.

Word on the grapevine, and what attracted me to the game in the first place, were rumors that the game was inspired by obscure classic RPG Darklands.

Darklands wasn't all that obscure. I think pretty much everyone who was playing RPGs on the PC back then played it. And "classic"? On what planet? They had some really good ideas but it was dull as dishwater, gameplay wise. This is one of those games better liked by people who discovered it years after release than it was when it shipped.

PS:

Beta issues aside, what is obvious from the current build is that Legends of Eisenwald has massive potential.

Unrealized potential seems a perpetual problem with European game titles. It almost seems like European devs lose their enthusiasm right after they get the basics down good and solid, and then walk away. On the bright side, at least they demonstrate imagination and creativity which is more than I can say for American or Asian game devs, these days.

PS:

Beta issues aside, what is obvious from the current build is that Legends of Eisenwald has massive potential.

Unrealized potential seems a perpetual problem with European game titles. It almost seems like European devs lose their enthusiasm right after they get the basics down good and solid, and then walk away. On the bright side, at least they demonstrate imagination and creativity which is more than I can say for American or Asian game devs, these days.
European devs come with great ideas for a game and run out of money. American devs come with lots of money and run out of ideas for a game. Maybe the best solution is for american investors to hire european devs (without interfering)

Are there no rich Europeans?

European devs come with great ideas for a game and run out of money. American devs come with lots of money and run out of ideas for a game. Maybe the best solution is for american investors to hire european devs (without interfering)

I'll go that way:

European devs run out of money before showing they cant deliver on their ideas while American devs have enough money to show they cant deliver on their ideas.

However that game looks very promising; definitely someting I'm looking forward to in 2013.

Back
Top Bottom