NWN2 Help building a charater?

Neverwinter Nights 2
I just wish it was more intutive, the idea I can't give a simple command, with a Right click menu for Wait or Follow is very annoying.

Maybe I'm not understanding you well but you can give commands to your party members through the broadcast command accessed by rightclicking on your character.

Really? Thanks I will give it a try, I thought I had tried every possibly. :)

Humm thats not working for me, I am right clicking on everything my charater, portraits and Icons.
Wonder if you have to make some adjustment in the Options to beable to right click on your charater?

Last edited:
You have to right-click and hold for a half-second or so before the menu pops up. Annoying. I haven't been able to figure out how to quickslot the "broadcast" commands either; if someone has please let me know how, since I use them a lot. "Follow," "Hold your position," and "Attack nearest" give quite enough control over the tactical action for most purposes, once you've puppeted your spellcaster(s) so they don't roast the party with fireballs. (Playing with Hardcore rules.)

@Acleacius -- I disagree strongly about the voice acting. Thing is, the more you have of it, the more the actors get bored, and the more difficult it makes to tinker with the scripts as you go along. I'd much rather see lots of inspired writing than lots of uninspired voice acting. (One of the things I really hate about G3 is the flat-as-hell voice acting that you're forced to listen to.)

A little of it does spice up the game nicely, though. NWN2 has perhaps a hair *too* much of it, even: at best it's very well done, but some lines are noticeably wobbly. (Did anyone else have a "What the hell are Carth Onasi and Mission Vao doing here?" moment, btw, or is it just me?)

"You have to right-click and hold for a half-second"
Hehe, I found this out by accident.
I was trying everything and then I hand slipped and all of a sudden it opened. :shocked:
So, I spent the next 10 minutes trying to reinact what had happened. ;)

"@Acleacius -- I disagree strongly about the voice acting."
I strongly agree with your disagreement. ;)
The problem of course is that its due to poor acting and/or poor writing.
Certianly well written dialogue can be well acted, we have all seen and felt it in countless moives pr plays.
One of the best acted games ever [imo] is Bloodlines, it can be done.
Its often overlooked and underfunded, you are corret about Gothic 3 as well, especially the comrade NPCs are the worst, which should have been the best.
The reason G1 and G2 were critised [imo] was the fact they used so few vioce actors to do so much, not that the actors were bad.
Why the hell they got all new actors whom really don't know the parts/charaters was complete nonsence.
Its another letdown by the publsihers doing a poor job of a great game, just as the music makes G3 better so to should the voices.
I am willing to bet PB has control over the music but doesn't over the voice, huge mistake.

Prime Junta I know and understand what you mean though many hardcore perfer reading, though I am about growth and fusion of RPGs.

Lol, yeah I see Mission and Carth which I have tried to ignore, though I think they did a great job with the dwarf.

KotOR was very impressive to me in voice acting department, though not all of it was great, some writing and some acting certianly fell short, but I don't think Bioware should trun from this path becase it wasn't perfect.
I realise its a matter of taste not its not a game everyone would like but I enjoyed it. :)
It was an evolution [imo] and NWN is starting to grow on me now, precisly due to a better acting, things started turnning around at the first inn where you meet your dwarf. ;)

Well I started over again and went with 1 level of Fighter, getting a good selection of Feats stated and will finish as a Bard. :)
The other classes are just too restrictive, if I gonna spend 50 hours playing something I need flexablity and varity.

"You have to right-click and hold for a half-second"
Hehe, I found this out by accident.
I was trying everything and then I hand slipped and all of a sudden it opened. :shocked:
So, I spent the next 10 minutes trying to reinact what had happened. ;)

There is a setting for right-click delay as well. I like it just to pop and while I can't get there I can gt close.

Ahh will check that setting, thanks. :)

What are the negitive reasons for Multiclassing?
Is there a limit to the number of classes?

Considering starting as a Fighter 1st, Rogue 2nd and Mage from 3rd to end.

I am thinking of starting over again, as the Bard only seems to get 2 or 3 spells per Arcane level, not only that it seems delayed (1st level spells at 2nd and 2nd level spells at 5th) and no damge spells (no Mage Missle or Fireball) or maybe I just misunderstand what I think I see. ;)

Thanks. :)

@Acleacius -- the negative reason is simply that most classes have the best perks at the higher class levels, and if you multiclass, you'll never make it -- you need more XP to get there simply because you've "wasted" some XP on your secondary class *and* there may be an XP penalty as well.

You zip through the levels fast early on, and slow down a lot later. The difference between level 1 and 3 is minutes, the difference between 15 and 17 is hours. The point is that the difference between 15 and 17 (wizard) is also the difference between level 8 and level 9 spells -- and the level-niners are real humdingers you wouldn't want to miss out on, and having access to them earlier will make a huuuge difference.

Combine a race with a level penalty with multiclassing, and you'll have a seriously underpowered character. A deep gnome or dark elf fighter/rogue/wizard, for example, would be pretty wimpy -- compared to a straight wizard you'd be at a four or five-level disadvantage, which is severe.

Of course, this applies more to some classes than others. In particular, the classes that rely on spell-casting as their primary function take a big hit, as does the monk, while conversely the fighter-ish/rogue-ish classes do rather well. If you want to mix fighting, stealth, and spellcasting, in general it's a better idea to make the fighter or stealther your primary class and spice it up with some wizard/sorcerer/whatever levels, rather than the other way around -- a few low-level spells in the right place can give you a very significant leg-up, and you won't lose a whole lot in the fighting department (that you can't more than make up for with your newly found magical abilities).

Re the bard -- I'm currently playing as one, and it's actually very nice. The bardic song abilities are really nifty and buff your party up like mad, and the low-level magic she has can swing battles very well too. The point is that a bard alone is pretty wimpy, but as the leader of a well-balanced party can do a lot. It's a very different style of gameplay than the more usual "lone hero" kind and very well suited to NWN2. You can craft as well. However, the bard does play a quite a lot like a multiclass rogue/sorcerer with some extra perks.

You zip through the levels fast early on, and slow down a lot later. The difference between level 1 and 3 is minutes, the difference between 15 and 17 is hours. The point is that the difference between 15 and 17 (wizard) is also the difference between level 8 and level 9 spells -- and the level-niners are real humdingers you wouldn't want to miss out on, and having access to them earlier will make a huuuge difference.
Ahhh ... just you mentioning level 9 spells makes me wish I was playing my Sorc rather than my Pally as a first play-through ;)

Very intrestng. :)
Ok looking at the Rogue it says Only a Rogue can Search for Traps over 20, does this mean (in theroy) if I could get my Search skill up 25 as any charater except a Rogue I am wasting points?
I was thinking if I just leveled certian skills up enough I could get the benifit of other classes but now I am not so sure.
Hey maybe I can do a duel weild Mage. :p

I do like the Bard and the Songs are great, it just get annoyed when I think I am being limited, hehe. :)

To me its about having fun and I know that Orc, Goblin or Lizard doesn't care if I slice and dice or fry him with a Fireball. ;)

Appoligies if this fun over challenge attiude annoys anyone I just got tired of always trying to do the challenge, atm anyway. :)

@Acleacius -- if that's what it says, that's how it is. Then again, traps can be worked around in other ways too (mages can use magic to reveal them and summoned creatures or familiars to spring them, for example).

The type of character you want to build depends a lot on the game. So far, NWN2 seems way more party-based than NWN1, which means that it's better to specialize: in NWN1 many modules were a pain to play if you had low Search skills and little or no rogue skills, for example, which meant that there was a lot of benefit to multiclassing as some rogue. In NWN2 you have lots of characters to draw upon, and so far it seems that the only skills you can't get your party members to use are the social ones. IOW, specialization seems like a good idea at this time. Who knows if it'll change later.

Just for kicks, what with this discussion of 9th level spells and all, I rolled up a gnomish wizard named Economy Collapse who's big on artificing and has a bunny as a familiar. I left him at the harvest party, waiting for a later play-thru. The bunny is great, what with the twitching nose and all. Can't wait to see it in combat...

One thing to consider: If you want to make a character part rogue/part something else, it would be smart to pick rogue at character creation. Rogue gets alot of points to put info their skils at level one.

Very intrestng. :)
Ok looking at the Rogue it says Only a Rogue can Search for Traps over 20, does this mean (in theroy) if I could get my Search skill up 25 as any charater except a Rogue I am wasting points?

I believe it's referring to the Difficulty Class (DC) of the trap itself. So, if you aren't a Rogue and the trap you're searching for is DC>20, it won't matter how high your Search skill is, you won't find the trap.

Am I right?

Heh, now I have a Wizzy I will try for awhile. ;)

Yes chamr, its the way I understand it, so ill try Prime Junta's idea if I can't disable the trap.
I wonder how often Trap DC > 20?

Ahhh ... just you mentioning level 9 spells makes me wish I was playing my Sorc rather than my Pally as a first play-through ;)

I went through it first time as a pali (11 pali/6 Divine Champion/2 Neverwinter Nine) and have no regrets :) I just used my sorc npc (wont name it incase folks havent come across it yet) almost ALL the time lol. For my second play through I am going with Fighter 2/Wizard with a switch into Eldritch Knight as soon as I can :) Had started a fighter/sorc to go into EK but it seems the sorc is too slow for the multi-classing although a druid/sorc might work nicely :)

The decision to choose playing with a party as opposed to solo play is a very important one. I played the original as a sorc with a tank henchie to keep me alive long enough to cast. Bards are excellent support characters in a party; ask Cmgamer about MY bard sometime!! :biggrin: However, D&D was always designed to be a party system, so it works best in that environment. The interesting choice now, is whether to play a front line or support character. This may be important for the OC, but becomes essential when planning an online campaign with friends. THAT is what I'm really looking forward to in the near future. Hopefully, some of the regulars here might also wish to become involved. Eventually, I will establish a thread just for doing that, so please start thinking about becoming involved once MP mods begin to be developed!!

Anyone notice that some of the spells appear not to have been debugged for the hardcore ruleset? Try Flame Burst, for example. Gotta love a fantasy RPG with suicide bombing as a viable combat strategy...

Corwin seems the Bard (or a Cleric which I haven't tried yet) is a perfect charater here in NWN 2 also.
Since it seems hard to keep Mobs off Range charaters atm, unless you have 2 frontline players, well at least for me.

Rofl at suicide bombing with Flame Burst. ;)

Back
Top Bottom