|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods - Hero's Diary, Part 5

Default Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods - Hero's Diary, Part 5

November 4th, 2008, 10:39
The fifth and final part of the Hero's Diary for Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods is up at World of Gothic. The diary provides some story and lore background.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

November 4th, 2008, 10:39
If the English is as bad as the diary is, we're in deep shit for this game.

so very, very tired (Star Trek XI quote according to the Simpsons)

Bartacus

BartWatch

November 4th, 2008, 10:40
Looks like the writer has a dyslexia.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

November 4th, 2008, 13:02
Well, remember that it is written from the Hero's perspective, so this "bad English" could be very well intended.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

November 4th, 2008, 13:22
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Well, remember that it is written from the Hero's perspective, so this "bad English" could be very well intended.
Germanic humour? Is this german version of the diary equally funny?
http://www.worldofgothic.de/gothic3/…=addontagebuch

To be honest it looks strongly as if the article was simply translated from german to english by som software translator without any post-correcting.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
Last edited by zakhal; November 4th, 2008 at 13:35.

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

November 4th, 2008, 13:25
No, I just thought the Hero might have a dyslexia. Or something.
Or a weird kind of slang dialect.

You can write like an actor acts. You just pretend to be another person.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

November 4th, 2008, 13:32
German diary:
Endlich bin ich in Gotha eingetroffen, wo Gorn nicht nur eine „Freiwilligenarmee“, sondern per Zwangsrekrutierung auch teilweise eine „Unfreiwilligenarmee“ aufgestellt hat
English diary:
Finally I arrived Gotha, where Gorn recruted not only a volunteers army, but also through pressed servicing a partially unvolunteers army.
German diary translated to english through babelfish:
Finally I arrived in Gotha, where Gorn also partly did not only set up one „to volunteer army “, but by forced recruiting one „involuntary army “

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

November 4th, 2008, 14:12
Maybe WoG translated it. The English in the diary is so bad it's hard to believe somebody got paid for it.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

November 4th, 2008, 14:37
nerds …

……

Bateman

Watchdog

November 4th, 2008, 23:16
Originally Posted by Bateman View Post
nerds …

……
Are you calling us nerds, Bateman, or the ones that translated this.

so very, very tired (Star Trek XI quote according to the Simpsons)

Bartacus

BartWatch

Talking 

November 5th, 2008, 08:48
This could be an Indian English dialect ;-)

.. which reminds me of Benny Lava :-D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA1NoOOoaNw

Glorian

Watchdog

Talking 

November 5th, 2008, 15:04
nice vid!

I call all the translation-fanatics nerds; can't you guys just be satisfied with a game that doesn't use cyrillics. If a game succeeds in telling you where to find the ten goblins you ought to kill, everything is fine. If it has a journal that records a brief quest wrap-up, even better. Then you can click the dialog away.
Post #7 is incomprehensible for me, seems extremely nerdish. A bit more humbleness would be appropriate, obviously the poster grasped what the game wants to tell, yet he's complaining.

Love, peace & harmony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg geek1.jpg (43.7 KB, 28 views)

Bateman

Watchdog

November 5th, 2008, 15:12
Originally Posted by Bateman View Post
A bit more humbleness would be appropriate, obviously the poster grasped what the game wants to tell, yet he's complaining.

Love, peace & harmony
Sorry but my brains simply freeze when I try to read stuff like this:
Where his brother Anog really works his ass off, is not afraid of getting his hands dirty and honestly anxious about the well-being of the citizens, his brother Inog really puts up in Geldern with being governor.
Finally I arrived Gotha, where Gorn recruted not only a volunteers army, but also through pressed servicing a partially unvolunteers army.
And no i didnt grasp what the diary wanted to say. I simply couldnt read it. Its just another episode on channel "Germans and the English Language".

I call all the translation-fanatics nerds; can't you guys just be satisfied with a game that doesn't use cyrillics. Post #7 is incomprehensible for me, seems extremely nerdish.
Perhaps you should read the diary yourself first before making an ass out of yourself.

Im all happy if games were written in non-cyrillic finnish (and then "babelfished" into whatever klingon you prefer ) but unlike som other rude persons I dont mind if they are english so that everyone else gets to enjoy them.

Last edited by zakhal; November 5th, 2008 at 18:52.

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

November 5th, 2008, 19:36
Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
Sorry but my brains simply freeze when I try to read stuff like this:
I can read it.

Though the first paragraph sounds a bit distorted by lacking commas in the appropriate places.

By the way, could it be that you are unfamiliar with the term/saying "to work one's ass off" ?

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

November 5th, 2008, 19:52
I can read it.
Though the first paragraph sounds a bit distorted by lacking commas in the appropriate places.
Perhaps after several tries but its still shitty english - I dont usually have to make a stop from reading just to understand what single paragraphs mean.

By the way, could it be that you are unfamiliar with the term/saying "to work one's ass off" ?
I know the term very well believe me.

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

November 5th, 2008, 20:34
I can't believe that some people are seriously trying to defend or find arguments in favor of this abysmal attempt of a retarded translation. This "translation" is actually so fucking amateurish that it isn't even bordering on funny. To put it bluntly .

If anyone is unfamiliar with that term then it's the dude or dudette who attempted to translate that diary .

Moriendor

Spielkind

November 5th, 2008, 21:55
Okay, I just thought it could've been an idiom, kind of.

By the way, I could read it quite fluently … The only stops I had because of the missing commas.

I think that might be a sign of how bad my own English is, if I have almost no problems reading it …

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods - Hero's Diary, Part 5