|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Shelter - Gameplay Video

Default Shelter - Gameplay Video

November 21st, 2008, 13:36
Aleksey writes in about a post-apoc indie RPG project titled Shelter, being built with assets from Fallout: Tactics. You can watch a gameplay trailer here on Youtube or head over to the website of Second Variety Games for more info. The featue list:
* Non-lethal combat allows you to dominate enemies without killing them, and trade your belongings for your life.
* A large living world with inhabitants that go on about their agendas in real-time; they fight, steal, and use their skills.
* Innovative combat system with inertia, throws, stances, and body part targeting.
* A new breed of choice & consequence mechanics, allowing complete freedom without non-sensical reactions from the world. When a man cuts himself shaving, and his house burns down, he won't be standing asking you for a bandaid.
* Dynamic dialogue driven by player's previous actions in the world.
* No black & white judgements - losing a "quest" can mean gaining access to other opportunities. Your quest, in fact, may be to "lose" someone else's quests.
* NPCs with varying "life paths" which intersect with each other and the Player's, and change accordingly.
* Dynamic text descriptions accurately reflect state of the world's inhabitants and key objects.
* Dynamic weather system simulated across the entire world, which has a variety of effects on its inhabitants. A sudden earthquake may save you from a losing battle !
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,967

Default 

November 21st, 2008, 13:36
haha a indie game came make better inmershun than a big studio?

All have to blame the shiny bum bum 4.0 and the FAABOOS X8 with X16 tropic .
________
Dodge ram specifications
Last edited by Turok; February 16th, 2011 at 02:40.
Turok is offline

Turok

Watchdog

#2

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 149

Default 

November 21st, 2008, 14:43
Originally Posted by Turok View Post
haha a indie game came make better inmershun than a big studio…

All have to blame the shiny bum bum 4.0 and the FAABOOS X8 with X16 tropic .
Correction - an indie game can announce it will have better immershun. I'd guess that less than 1% ever see the light of day in any form, and 8/10ths of those are buggy, gutted shadows of the announcement hype, and another 1/10th are RPGMaker games.

Good luck to these guys, and good luck to the rest of us that they are the 1/1000th with the organization, skill, and determination to stick with it.

obediah

Guest

#3

Posts: n/a

Default 

November 21st, 2008, 14:53
Could be interesting. The gameplay video looks pretty polished so perhaps this is one of the indies that won't end up as vaporware. Good luck on the project, guys.
stealth is offline

stealth

Sentinel

#4

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 319

Default 

November 21st, 2008, 16:12
High production values for an indie presentation. Even the voice acting sounds good, which other companies can't seem to pull off with $10 million budgets.

I like the little popups during the video, like "This is not a Fallout game", followed by the conversation with Vault Elder, in the Vault where you start the game. What's V.E.'s quest, you ask? "My daughter has been kidnapped by Raiders!"

Good start to your non-Fallout game.

my novel: bit.ly/dreamlandsbook
screeg is offline

screeg

screeg's Avatar
floating head

#5

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 865

Default 

November 21st, 2008, 17:00
I don't get it - if we're going to need Fallout: Tactics for the art assets, then how do they plan on selling this? And if they're not going to earn any money from it, how are they going to make more games like it (plus, money does tend to be a good motivation)? Ah, questions, questions…

The gameplay video looks interesting enough, in any case.
VPeric is offline

VPeric

Sentinel

#6

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Serbia
Posts: 582

Default 

November 21st, 2008, 18:55
Thanks everyone for the positive comments!

obediah: your statistics are about right; yet we will persevere.

screeg: in the January 2008 video, we were simple demonstrating some quest mechanics, so don't get too attached to that quest. I assure you, we are not remaking Fallout. Stay tuned for the official storyline update.

VPeric: good questions, but it is too early to talk about distribution. We are, first and foremost, focusing on making a game that you guys would enjoy playing.
FirstOfficer is offline

FirstOfficer

FirstOfficer's Avatar
Traveler

#7

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1

Default 

November 21st, 2008, 19:15
I have enthusiasm for this and all things, but internet history is filled with examples of projects that get months and years into development before being cease-and-desist-ified by the company who owns the IP. Even projects that were going to be freeware have been shut down.
Yeesh is offline

Yeesh

Yeesh's Avatar
Hopeless Curmudgeon

#8

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: too poor for Manhattan
Posts: 374

Default 

November 21st, 2008, 20:28
Originally Posted by Yeesh View Post
I have enthusiasm for this and all things, but internet history is filled with examples of projects that get months and years into development before being cease-and-desist-ified by the company who owns the IP. Even projects that were going to be freeware have been shut down.
Our January video wasn't terribly concerned about throwing words like "vault" and "raiders" around, we were just happy to show that we had rudimentary quest mechanics working.

However we no longer use "vaults", and our current candidate for "Shelter timeline" doesn't use nuclear war as the post-apocalyptic device.

shihonage

Guest

#9

Posts: n/a

Default 

November 21st, 2008, 20:35
Sorry about the double post.

Originally Posted by screeg View Post
High production values for an indie presentation. Even the voice acting sounds good, which other companies can't seem to pull off with $10 million budgets.

I like the little popups during the video, like "This is not a Fallout game", followed by the conversation with Vault Elder, in the Vault where you start the game. What's V.E.'s quest, you ask? "My daughter has been kidnapped by Raiders!"

Good start to your non-Fallout game.
The video linked in the article has no pop-ups, no Vault, no Vault Elder, and no Raider camp.

You are watching the wrong video.

Originally Posted by VPeric View Post
I don't get it - if we're going to need Fallout: Tactics for the art assets, then how do they plan on selling this? And if they're not going to earn any money from it, how are they going to make more games like it (plus, money does tend to be a good motivation)? Ah, questions, questions…

The gameplay video looks interesting enough, in any case.
Garry's Mod needs Half-Life2 for Half-Life2's art assets, yet it is sold on Steam for 10 bucks.

Our "default" mode of distribution will require the player to have Fallout: Tactics, and our installer will do the rest. Russian FONLINE project functions the same way.
shihonage is offline

shihonage

shihonage's Avatar
Traveler

#10

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11

Default 

November 22nd, 2008, 01:59
Wow - very exciting. Good luck on the project!

And I try not to get too down on the statistics, especially publicly. Indie projects can use all the positive reinforcement they can get.

I'd urge this team to make sure their installer works with GoG.com's CD-less FO:Tactics distribution in addition to the original for those folks who don't own it yet, although I assume that's already been discussed and may not even need any additional work.
Guhndahb is offline

Guhndahb

Guhndahb's Avatar
Sentinel

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 319

Default 

November 22nd, 2008, 04:32
Originally Posted by Guhndahb View Post
Wow - very exciting. Good luck on the project!

And I try not to get too down on the statistics, especially publicly. Indie projects can use all the positive reinforcement they can get.

I'd urge this team to make sure their installer works with GoG.com's CD-less FO:Tactics distribution in addition to the original for those folks who don't own it yet, although I assume that's already been discussed and may not even need any additional work.
Thank you

Our installer will be definitely compatible with their distribution. It may even detect GoG-specific installs as to not ask user any file location questions whatsoever.
Last edited by shihonage; November 22nd, 2008 at 04:44.
shihonage is offline

shihonage

shihonage's Avatar
Traveler

#12

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Shelter - Gameplay Video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:25.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch