|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Witcher Games » The Witcher » For those of us new to the Witcher

Default For those of us new to the Witcher

October 3rd, 2008, 07:58
Yep, that.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

October 3rd, 2008, 08:23
Allright, maybe I'll try to go with hard for the second playthrough.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

October 3rd, 2008, 11:04
OTOH, the difficulty as it is now (medium) seems quite fine in some ways - normal, medium, average - the way i like it. The "easy" monsters that keep respawning again and again can be just hacked away without much effort… but the bigger fights need a potion or two. I don't want to spend a lot of time combatting respawning monsters.

BTW, one question regarding the character system…
There are strong, fast and group styles for both steel and silver..
Am I to spend points in all of 'em or just pick the ones that seem most important and concentrate on them? For now I've spent most of my points in str,dex,int,end (the "attributes") and the aard sign.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

October 3rd, 2008, 11:36
That doesn't really change if you switch to Hard. It's really not that much harder, apart from having your training wheels (i.e. the flaming sword icon) taken away. Also fewer talent points to spend, which means you have to give more thought to how you develop Geralt.

I strongly recommend developing your sword styles more or less evenly — you will need all of them. I use Group most, Fast after that, and Strong least — but there are a few enemies that are right bastards to beat if you're no good at Strong. Also read the "outer ring" talent descriptions carefully and pick accordingly — some of them are really useful (i.e., knockdown, pain, bleeding, more damage), others are only marginally useful (e.g. work only when drunk/only when you're about to die/only when your enemy is about to die anyway).

But yeah, do develop your attributes first, and styles second. At least tag all of the "inner ring" talents on the attributes before developing your sword skills.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

October 3rd, 2008, 12:00
I thought about that certain "works only when intoxicated" skill.
What exactly is intoxicated? Under the effect of toxins or just booze?

..could be fun……

Zakhary

Noble Savage

October 3rd, 2008, 12:23
Booze.

I suppose it does make for an interesting buff tactic — get shitfaced before every difficult battle, and then use Wives' Tears to sober up. Haven't tried it.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

October 3rd, 2008, 12:28
Oh, no no no no… You completely misunderstood.

Get shitfaced before _EVERY_ battle - or better yet…
be shitfaced all the time.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

October 3rd, 2008, 13:49
Except being shitfaced all the time isn't all that much fun. Not in The Witcher, anyway. Try it, you'll see.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

October 3rd, 2008, 14:12
I've suggested in other threads that perhaps a good tactic in developing your sword skills is to spend the points in the lower tiers of attack sequence - the I and II levels and then moving up… since you are gauranteed of getting those enhancements on your first attack and probably second, but not always assured of making it through the whole sequence due to clicking wrong, enemy disrupting your move, etc…

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

October 3rd, 2008, 14:53
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post
I strongly recommend developing your sword styles more or less evenly — you will need all of them. I use Group most, Fast after that, and Strong least — but there are a few enemies that are right bastards to beat if you're no good at Strong. Also read the "outer ring" talent descriptions carefully and pick accordingly — some of them are really useful (i.e., knockdown, pain, bleeding, more damage), others are only marginally useful (e.g. work only when drunk/only when you're about to die/only when your enemy is about to die anyway).

But yeah, do develop your attributes first, and styles second. At least tag all of the "inner ring" talents on the attributes before developing your sword skills.
I agree entirely. This is how I've been approaching this playthrough.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 3rd, 2008, 22:42
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
Gotta be. I'm thinking a console version and then a sequel - they practically introduced Sapkowski to the western market, so I don't think they're going to leave all this marketing go to waste without re-using the license.
Are you sure? I read somewhere that the novels has been translated in english since a long time. But I didn't check the information.

Dasale

SasqWatch

October 4th, 2008, 01:03
The Last Wish was published in May in NA and CD Projekt helped with PR.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/news?re…66&type=7#8891

It was published in the UK in 2007 — both using the box art for CD Projekt's The Witcher. I think it's fair to say CD Projekt introduced Sapkowski to the West.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 13th, 2008, 17:17
The very cool instrument in the game soundtrack I wondered about earlier
might be a pipe-like instrument of armenian origin called "duduk".

I have wondered for long what the instrument is, for it was included in the
gladiator soundtrack too, which I loved.

Does anyone know if there are any armenians on these forums ?

Zakhary

Noble Savage

December 21st, 2008, 10:10
Originally Posted by DeepO View Post
1) Everytime Geralt enters a new location or save is loaded, heīs looking to the ground, but thatīs no big deal since one mouse move solves it.
This can be remedied by edit the mod file camerasettings.2da in the _2da00 directory.

Change the TPP MinDist to -0.1

Now he will be looking straight ahead rather than straight down!

tortoise

Traveler

January 6th, 2009, 09:36
I'm surprised to see quite a lot of people here seem to have played on hard mode. I often play games on normal modes since I think it is the mode on which the designers spend their time as for balancing. Is it possible to keep alive some characters such as
Spoiler
and
Spoiler
in hard mode?

For, I think the following is important an essence in this game: while the choices about the main plot don't change the results much but only how the details are told, the players can change the lives of some NPCs. Some people who are accustomed to the world-savor plot may complain of this but, personally, I liked the moderate out-comings of interactions, which managed to produce feel of "realism.": The main character cannot change the world or his "destiny" except some lives around him.

Dusk

Sentinel

January 6th, 2009, 10:21
Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
I'm surprised to see quite a lot of people here seem to have played on hard mode. I often play games on normal modes since I think it is the mode on which the designers spend their time as for balancing. Is it possible to keep alive some characters such as
Spoiler
and
Spoiler
in hard mode?
I don't know about possible, but on my "hard" play-through, I got "no" on the former, "yes" on the latter.

For, I think the following is important an essence in this game: while the choices about the main plot don't change the results much but only how the details are told, the players can change the lives of some NPCs. Some people who are accustomed to the world-savor plot may complain of this but, personally, I liked the moderate out-comings of interactions, which managed to produce feel of "realism.": The main character cannot change the world or his "destiny" except some lives around him.
You put your finger on it. Few games manage to make the story matter to the player personally in this way; The Witcher really pulls it off well.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

January 6th, 2009, 12:27
Thank you for your feed-back, PJ.

Spoiler
So, it is theoretically possible to do the same in hard mode but I wonder people find it worth a try since it probably requires a lot of reloads at least.

Few games manage to make the story matter to the player personally in this way; The Witcher really pulls it off well.
Agreed. I think CDProjekt managed to synthesize seemingly contradicting factors: to let the story feel personal to the players while keeping the setting faithful to Sapkowski's world.
Last edited by Dusk; January 6th, 2009 at 12:42.

Dusk

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Witcher Games » The Witcher » For those of us new to the Witcher