|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » InXile Entertainment - Jason Anderson and an Epic RPG

Default InXile Entertainment - Jason Anderson and an Epic RPG

March 18th, 2009, 23:23
Here's one out of the blue. Jason Anderson (Fallout, Troika) was last known to be working at Interplay as Creative Director on FOOL but Worthplaying has an announcement from Brian Fargo's inXile, saying Jason has joined to lead a second team "focused on an epic game that will push the boundaries of RPGs":
Jason has an extensive resume of creating amazing RPGs over the past two decades and we feel very lucky to have his talent directed to one of our upcoming projects," said Brian Fargo, chief executive officer of inXile entertainment. "His leadership and vision will allow us to have a second development team focused on an epic game that will push the boundaries of RPGs.
inXile has been working on small games of late (Linerider for the iPhone, among others)…could they finally be moving on their Wasteland IP? Seems unlikely but we'll keep an eye out.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 18th, 2009, 23:23
could they finally be moving on their Wasteland IP? Seems unlikely
Really? Why?

I mean, I'm not sure where InXile would get the funding, but "Jason Anderson" + "InXile" plus "epic game that will push the boundaries of RPGs" = Wasteland 2 (or Remake), no?

Brother None

SasqWatch

March 18th, 2009, 23:59
Might it not be just as simple as that they will develop Fallout Online for Interplay?

Ykalon

SasqWatch

March 19th, 2009, 00:08
Originally Posted by Ykalon View Post
Might it not be just as simple as that they will develop Fallout Online for Interplay?
Interplay will lose the license on April 4th due to lack of funds. The deal with Bethesda was that Interplay needed to have full funds by April 4th, 2009, amounting to 30 million USD. It was always unlikely Herve would gain these funds, and Jason leaving Interplay can be seen as a sign that he hasn't.

Brother None

SasqWatch

March 19th, 2009, 01:15
I asked Chris Taylor and he says that V13 is not canceled and he is still working on it. Jason left for his own reasons.

By the way, I have set up a Wasteland wiki, with a Wasteland 2 FAQ:

http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Wasteland_2_FAQ

Ausir

SasqWatch

March 19th, 2009, 03:15
I'd have thought Wasteland myself. Brain Fargo has the rights. I believe I read something about that somewhere, at some point.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

March 19th, 2009, 05:17
You probably read it here on the Watch!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

March 19th, 2009, 06:11
Remake of the original would be nice.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

March 19th, 2009, 09:52
Originally Posted by Brother None View Post
Really? Why?

I mean, I'm not sure where InXile would get the funding, but "Jason Anderson" + "InXile" plus "epic game that will push the boundaries of RPGs" = Wasteland 2 (or Remake), no?
Yeah, sure…except, I can't see where you get the funding for Wasteland 2 in the current market.

Jason does seem to embrace Fallout 3's approach in the Gamasutra interview, so maybe they've taken that sort of approach. Still…would you fund it? Second to market after Bethesda with a fairly niche setting and a company that did The Bard's Tale and then mobile games?

Obviously it's a possibility…I guess we'll see.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 19th, 2009, 11:29
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
You probably read it here on the Watch!!
Nah, it was either at the InXile site or one of the Wasteland fan sites. It's probably around here somewhere though.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

March 19th, 2009, 11:50
Yeah, sure…except, I can't see where you get the funding for Wasteland 2 in the current market.
Why? Given Fallout 3's financial success, I'd say it makes it easier to get funding for another post-apocalyptic cRPG, made by one of the makers of Fallout. Wasteland has some name recognition as Fallout's predecessor, so I don't see why they'd make any other cRPG than Wasteland 2. For any publisher it would be a much safer investment than an original IP.

Ausir

SasqWatch

March 19th, 2009, 13:53
Sorry, but Wastland 2 doesn't sound to me like "an epic game that will push the boundaries of RPGs." I could be wrong, of course.

PS:T was rather something that's fit this description, but it would be too good to be true.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 19th, 2009, 14:00
Sorry, but Wastland 2 doesn't sound to me like "an epic game that will push the boundaries of RPGs." I could be wrong, of course.
Any cRPG can be marketed as that, I wouldn't read too much into it. Just standard marketing speech.

Ausir

SasqWatch

March 19th, 2009, 14:09
Okay, if that's common …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 19th, 2009, 14:11
The Witcher was marketed as "RPG redefined", and it hardly redefined anything.

Ausir

SasqWatch

March 19th, 2009, 19:46
After what that company did to Bards Tale, it's hard for me to get excited.

DarNoor

Sentinel

March 19th, 2009, 21:20
Originally Posted by Ausir View Post
Why? Given Fallout 3's financial success, I'd say it makes it easier to get funding for another post-apocalyptic cRPG, made by one of the makers of Fallout. Wasteland has some name recognition as Fallout's predecessor, so I don't see why they'd make any other cRPG than Wasteland 2. For any publisher it would be a much safer investment than an original IP.
I don't agree - but, hey, what do I know? It will certainly be interesting if true.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 19th, 2009, 22:52
Well, I see your reservation, D, but on the other hand, would it be more likely for Fargo to be able to find funds for an RPG without the Wasteland license?

Brother None

SasqWatch

March 20th, 2009, 03:26
A big, huge, "maybe?". I guess I think Fallout 3's success is a combination of Bethesda, the style of game they make and the extra profile from the Fallout license (both fans and noise created by the hardcore anti-Beth groups).

Wasteland obviously still has fans around but its sheer age means that's a smaller group and those memories are even more faded. I also think post-apoc is niche without a juggernaut like Beth attached to it, so a mainstream fantasy game would easily overcome any advantage of "Wasteland" in my mind if I were a publisher.

But who knows? Maybe their pitch hit exactly the right clone-of-Fallout-3 notes to get a publisher excited.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 20th, 2009, 07:04
I wonder, will they do to Wasteland, what they did to Bard's Tale??!!??

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » InXile Entertainment - Jason Anderson and an Epic RPG