|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

March 20th, 2009, 19:16
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post
Just got Repo Man in the post. Woo-hoo!
You mean the Repo Man with Emelio Estevez? I was a young punk when that movie and its fitting punk rock soundtrack and live band performances came out.
A classic surreal urban vignette of youth subculture and music in the 80s, would be a perfect time capsule work of docufiction for future historians haha. It is almost Keruac-ian "On the Road" in its 80s style. This movie with others of its ilk like "Drugstore Cowboy", "Suburbia", "Decline and fall of western civilization 1 &
2", "Breakfast Club", "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" (Based on a true story),"Real Genius"(based on a true story),"River's Edge" really defined Generation X's coming of age on film.

To sum it up, I feel our space program ended up like this. "It's one small step for man. One giant leap for man kind. Oops I fell on my butt after that leap and can't get up anymore."

buckaroobonzai

VR nomad

March 20th, 2009, 22:02
That's the one. We just watched it. It was just as awesome as the last time I saw it, which must be, like, 15 or 20 years ago. My wife's comment was "Now I understand what made you who you are."

I was 13 when that film came out. I'll be damned if I can explain what, but it does means something special to me.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

March 21st, 2009, 02:02
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post
Just got Repo Man in the post. Woo-hoo!
You were that young when it came out … boy I feel old.

But Repo Man … intense.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 21st, 2009, 02:56
Watchmen and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang: I enjoyed watching both films, and will probably watch both of them again. Praise indeed.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

March 21st, 2009, 04:29
Just wanted to mention The Cell. It's a bit under-appreciated movie that I just rewatch with a friend. Visually it's very distinct.

For more lighthearted entertainment there's Cherry 2000.

hishadow

Level N+1

March 21st, 2009, 05:18
Tarsem Singh's The Fall is another visually grand movie, and I like it better than the Cell. Although the latter had some good scenes. The Cell's story was heavily influenced by Pat Cadigan's 'Mindplayers' novel.

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 21st, 2009, 05:32
Looking forward to checking that out.

hishadow

Level N+1

March 21st, 2009, 14:55
Taxi Driver - there a raging spoiler below, so beware if youve never seen it.

had it added to ye olde netflix queue after reading about it in a news thread got me hankering for it - great flick. Was my fiancee's first go at it, and she liked it as well.

We both totally agree that the movie should have ended on the couch after the big "finale". Fade to black, you know - would have been the perfect ending for that film. Let Travis die, given his ultimate purpose w/ one final burst of chaotic, ugly, flailing violence that finally made a difference. Ok, maybe even have a brief eulogy scene w/ Jodie foster if you really wanted to go on w/ it, but then end it right there on that note.

But no. They had to wrap it up all tidy and nicely, w/ *%^$ soft music and cybill looking on w/ doe eyes at a dismissive Travis whos STILL DRIVING A *^&@&!! CAB. After all this time, and quite a few viewings, I still had to do a facepalm on that one, almost embarassed by it. I almost wanted to turn off the film at the end of the finale so she thought it ended there.

Good Lord of the Tigers. I love that movie, but think it's definitely one of the worst, most blatantly hollywood-tacked-on sellout endings of all time.

I did learn something interesting from the extra "making of" feature that was pretty interesting. Some soldiers in the Vietnam war who were supposedly going into heavy combat would shave their hair into a mohawk, which explains Travis Bickle's (a vietnam vet) sudden hairstyle change at the end of the film. I thought that was interesting, I thought he had just lost it, or was trying to disguise himself for his assassination attempt on Palantine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg facepalm.JPG (153.8 KB, 94 views)
Last edited by xSamhainx; March 21st, 2009 at 19:26.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

March 21st, 2009, 15:19
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
Good Lord of the Tigers. I love that movie, but think it's definitely one of the worst, most blatantly hollywood-tacked-on sellout endings of all time.
That would make for a good starting point for some sort of list. Which Hollywood movies had the biggest sellout endings of all time?

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

March 21st, 2009, 19:15
Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
That would make for a good starting point for some sort of list. Which Hollywood movies had the biggest sellout endings of all time?

Ever see Heat? Incredible movie, but the ending was big time sellout.

A more recent movie that comes to mind is Smoking Aces. That was movie was great, up until the last 15-20 minutes when it disintegrated into pure Hollywood crap.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 22nd, 2009, 16:47
watched the Sixth Sense last night. I thought it was pretty good, but it wasnt as awesome as people were making it out to be. Yeah, it plays a big trick on ya.

It was alright, but nothing that I think I'd watch again.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

March 22nd, 2009, 18:36
Race to Witch Mountain
Went solely for the Wild Dogs. I think they had a good time, but this was a very "meh" film. Mrs dte enjoyed ogling The Rock. My Coke was unusually tasty. That's about as positive as I can be. Wan't as bad as Beverly Hills Chiahuahua, though.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

March 23rd, 2009, 02:20
We watched 'Running With Scissors' last night. Not too bad, but even the kids were disappointed by the 'Hollywood Ending', though I could see it coming.

Other recent stuff includes MirrorMask, High School Musical 3, Blades of Glory, trying to get my wife to stay awake through 2001 (failed again), and several others … Netflix 'Watch it now' FTW!

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 29th, 2009, 11:10
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Just saw Watchmen. Loved it. It had it's share of not-so good moments, but overall it was great. Definitely something different than the usual super-hero movie.

Seen it last night, I thought it was pretty good except…..

Spoiler – So unnecessary…

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 29th, 2009, 11:39
^ That didn't bother me.

Inkheart - a decent/good fantasy tale. It might feel a bit childish sometimes, but I've no problem with that. The only fantasy tale for children that bugged me was Chronicles of Narnia. Now that was boring as hell. But this one is quite nice. And Andy Serkis (Gollum) also stars in it.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

March 30th, 2009, 01:38
The Chronicles of Narnia was quite good actually, and I usually hate most films aimed at younger audiences. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was the better of the two released thus far.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 30th, 2009, 03:50
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
The Chronicles of Narnia was quite good actually, and I usually hate most films aimed at younger audiences. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was the better of the two released thus far.
Agree - we saw Lion in theater, but waited Prince Caspian out for Netflix … stuff hits DVD so fast it is hardly worth rushing out!

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 30th, 2009, 08:00
^ I've had big problems with Chronicles of Narnia. I mean kids becoming king and queen? How boring/predictable is that? I did not enjoy that. Maybe it's just me. I also didn't really appreciate C. S. Lewis's universe.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

April 11th, 2009, 19:42
A recommendation for our German members and the Euros who can speak German:

Das Millionenspiel tonight at midnight CET on WDR. That's in almost exactly 4 hours.
IMDB 8,2/10, OFDB 7,27/10
A legendary 70s TV movie, stuck in legal battles for 30 years.
The story is basically The Running Man, but as a realistic TV show, hosted by one of Germany's most prominent hosts.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

April 11th, 2009, 20:42
Haunting in Connecticutt
"Based on a true story" means that Mrs dte was going to drag me to see this one eventually. It wasn't bad. Fairly cliche story, but they did a nice job with the camera work and the actors weren't half bad. The suspense worked pretty well. Worth a rental.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread