|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Obsidian Entertainment - Fallout: New Vegas Announced

Default Obsidian Entertainment - Fallout: New Vegas Announced

April 20th, 2009, 22:56
This is superb! Oh hope I hope they pull this off! Not just for the Fallout universe's sake but for Obsidian's.

Guhndahb

Sentinel

April 20th, 2009, 22:56
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Hopefully its a rpg game .
No joke. My first thought is If it's supposed to be released next year, Obsidian will obviously be using Beth's engine.

I don't see how any game built on Oblivion's console-friendly game engine, however heavily tweaked, is going to be in the cards for me. I don't care what Obsidian's "spin" on it is. Fallout 3 was a mediocre RPG and a clunky, uninspired shooter with grade school writing and an interface by Fisher Price.

All the above is of course just my opinion. That's what we do here, right, fling around opinions?
—EDIT—
Oh yeah, just to be even more negative: this is actually a major downer. It means Obsidian won't be releasing their own post-apoc IP, which is something Feargus had wanted to do for a looong time. Man, I am just not Mr. Rainbows today.

my novel: bit.ly/dreamlandsbook

screeg

floating head

April 20th, 2009, 23:05
Don't you think the possibility exists that even though they're using Beth's engine they could still make their own game out of it? They did pretty well putting their own twist on NWN, despite the horrible engine. I'm not a FO geek, but I'd think the chances of Obsidian totally screwing something like this up, i.e., making a terrible game, would be fairly low.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

April 20th, 2009, 23:09
Originally Posted by Foss View Post
Thought it was a late april fools joke.
It actually was like 4 years ago.

roguefrog

Watcher

Send a message via AIM to roguefrog

April 20th, 2009, 23:10
Wow. I never would have predicted this.

My interest-o-meter just peaked; though I do have some concerns about the time frame and its implications.

Edit: the MCV article seems to confirm the Fallout 3 engine.

Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

April 20th, 2009, 23:23
Why does everybody assume the project has just started? That short interview confirms the game has been in development for quite some time.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

April 20th, 2009, 23:28
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
Why does everybody assume the project has just started? That short interview confirms the game has been in development for quite some time.
Since April First, 2005, to be precise.

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

April 20th, 2009, 23:44
It also says Bethsoft asked Obsidian to pitch an idea to them with "very few parameters" - fabulous news.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 21st, 2009, 00:06
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
Don't you think the possibility exists that even though they're using Beth's engine they could still make their own game out of it? They did pretty well putting their own twist on NWN, despite the horrible engine. I'm not a FO geek, but I'd think the chances of Obsidian totally screwing something like this up, i.e., making a terrible game, would be fairly low.
I did not see how long Obsidian have been working on it! My bad. I'll have to dial down the cynicism a bit.

But it also depends on your definition of a "terrible game". IMO Fallout 3 is a terrible game, not because it disappoints all the Fallout fans, but just on its own merits. The engine hopefully branched at 90 degrees back in '05.

my novel: bit.ly/dreamlandsbook

screeg

floating head

April 21st, 2009, 00:19
The "2005" was a hint at the RPGCodex April Fools joke back then. It'S unclear since when Obsidian is working on the project. It's unlikely they started before Bethesda was able to hand over 100% stable technology though.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

April 21st, 2009, 01:20
Originally Posted by bkrueger View Post
Since April First, 2005, to be precise.
I expect a bugfest whatever. I'm really hopeful in terms of gameplay though.

hishadow

Level N+1

April 21st, 2009, 02:18
This is absolutely great news and i think it's what many old Fallout fans wanted (yup me as well), a version of the game from original Fallout game developer, although not 100%.

Fallout 3 is only "good" enough rpg, and now that Obsidiance is working on another flavor of Fallout game, it surely very interesting and in the future people will compare the two games - same license/game universe but developed under different vision/developer.

Remus

Antihero

April 21st, 2009, 02:28
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
I did not see how long Obsidian have been working on it! My bad. I'll have to dial down the cynicism a bit.

But it also depends on your definition of a "terrible game". IMO Fallout 3 is a terrible game, not because it disappoints all the Fallout fans, but just on its own merits. The engine hopefully branched at 90 degrees back in '05.
That's okay, I was just rainbowing on your gloom parade. The possibility always exists for someone to make a terrible game out of something you love. Hopefully though not in this case. But then there's that last Indiana Jones movie….

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

April 21st, 2009, 03:18
BOOOYAAAA BABY Best freaking news I've heard all morning. Thanks magerette you are a news goddess.

Gorath is totally right, the first thing I thought of when they said it would be released so soon is that they've been working on this for awhile. Only way I can see them finishing so fast.

So now we can have the best of both worlds, third person and first person. If you want more action in your life play the first person Fallout 3, more depth play the third person Fallout 3 It's a win win situation in my opinion.

Edit: Nevermind about the first person and third person point of view. I just read that this one will be based on the same engine, so more than likely still FP point of view. Well at least it still is being developed by Obsidian and not Beth.

That just doesn't make sense though. Why have two companies making the same game just in different locations. Why not change the gameplay as well. Not a total reworking, but tweaking the perks and definatly changing the POV. What happens if Obsidian really hits a homerun with their game and makes Beth's Fallout 3 look like it was made by a two year old?

Ehhh whatever, I'm still jazzed that Obsidian is making a Fallout game. First Person/Third Person it's all the same to me as long as the plot and depth of this game is ten times better than Beth's

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
Last edited by skavenhorde; April 21st, 2009 at 06:59.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

April 21st, 2009, 09:51
Nice!

I didn't think the FO3 engine was fundamentally flawed. It has a sucky interface, but that ought to be easy to fix. The rest is entirely good enough to support a full-blooded role-playing experience, if that's what the devs want to use it for. Show us how it's done, Obsidian!

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

April 21st, 2009, 09:58
My only real problem with FO3 was the watered down and weak RPG mechanics.

If they manage to implement a worthwhile system that forces you to make hard choices, and which stays interesting throughout - then we'll have something.

Obsidian might be the perfect choice for something like this.

Cautiously optimistic.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

April 21st, 2009, 10:07
By the way - this is totally unexpected from Bethesda.

I really have to wonder why they would do this - and the cynical me says it's just another way to milk a popular franchise. But the "romantic" me suggests that maybe they're testing themselves. Maybe they're slightly sick of hearing about how they're handling gameplay all wrong, and maybe they're a tiny bit curious if someone like Obsidian can truly outdo them.

To be frank, Bethesda are great at marketing and their engines are typically pretty solid and technically impressive. Combining high production values with genuine game design could result in something classic.

Anyway, just random thoughts.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

April 21st, 2009, 10:46
They might even be actual fans of the original Fallout games, that have been longing to see what Feargus & Co would be able to do with the franchise ever since Interplay went down the drain.

Whatever their reason is - this is certainly great news! Best news related to gaming I've heard in a long, long time. I really hope Obsidian manages to pull off something truly exceptional.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

April 21st, 2009, 10:58
Just realised that Obsidian will probably stick to story and dialogue - and leave mechanics alone.

Great for most people, I suppose, and I admit the story and particularly the dialogue in FO3 was mostly awful. Ok that's harsh. Let's just say it didn't click with me and the delivery was horrendous.

But since I'm not really a story gamer, I'll be lamenting the lack of redone mechanics.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

April 21st, 2009, 11:12
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Great for most people, I suppose, and I admit the story and particularly the dialogue in FO3 was mostly awful. Ok that's harsh. Let's just say it didn't click with me and the delivery was horrendous.
Mostly awful? That's not harsh enough

That was my one main beef with F3 was the inane dialogue and beyond stupid plot. There were a few ok moments in this game, but that's it. They were just ok and no depth to them at all.

Other than dialogue the rest can be tweaked to your satisfaction with mods.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Obsidian Entertainment - Fallout: New Vegas Announced