|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout: New Vegas - Interview @ Shacknews

Default Fallout: New Vegas - Interview @ Shacknews

April 21st, 2009, 16:31
Originally Posted by nessosin View Post
I am bit of suprised that people who had an opportunity to play real gems in genre can say with a straight face that main campaign of NWN2 is anything more than boring, medicore story that Mr. Paolini could have come up with. And like I said earlier gameplay doesnt outweight it.

And now we have an announcement like this and you are suprised that Codex is suspecious, when at its core its a site for maniacs who cheerish the love for studios long gone and standards long abondoned?

I admit that there are many trolls there, but they are not without a reason to doubt Obsidian.
In fairness, they're taking an existing well developed & tested engine that's already had a major commercial release to recover engine development costs leaving them with far greater resources to focus on story & gameplay and far more scope to take creative risks, i.e. exactly the position they were in with MoTB.

Benedict

SasqWatch

April 21st, 2009, 16:42
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
In fairness, they're taking an existing well developed & tested engine that's already had a major commercial release to recover engine development costs leaving them with far greater resources to focus on story & gameplay and far more scope to take creative risks, i.e. exactly the position they were in with MoTB.
Excatly the position they were in with SoZ, Kotor 2.

nessosin

Watchdog

April 21st, 2009, 17:26
I wonder….across the internet just how many people are discussing this very topic? I know NMA, we are and Codex is. Just curious since it seems to have livened up all three sites quite a bit.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

April 21st, 2009, 17:57
Excatly the position they were in with SoZ, Kotor 2.
Kotor 2 was okay wasn't it? I'd thought that was bioware anyway, and wasn't the engine different from Kotor 1?

And I didn't mind SoZ, the only real flaw with it was that the underlying engine wasn't suitable for what they were trying to do, other than that it was a perfectly enjoyable implementation of what they were trying to do. Not as much to my taste as what they were trying to do with MoTB, but perfectly okay.

I take your point anyway, I'm coming from the view that the thing that everyone thought was wrong with Fallout was the plot so that's what they'll be working on but I suppose the real question is - will Chris Avellone be heavily involved in the writing or will it be pretty average?

Benedict

SasqWatch

April 21st, 2009, 18:10
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
Kotor 2 was okay wasn't it? I'd thought that was bioware anyway, and wasn't the engine different from Kotor 1?
The KOTOR 2 engine is plumb near identical to the KOTOR 1 engine. They might've added a few special effects, but that's about it. And yes, it was OK, and would've been a great deal better than just OK if they'd have been allowed to finish the damn thing; as it is, the endgame is rather awful.

/me still hopes Team Gizka finishes the restoration project, someday…

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

April 21st, 2009, 18:11
Originally Posted by Shagnak View Post
Oh, maybe I should have said "some"? I think there is some noise created by the most vociferous of the nay sayers.
Some? I just went through nine pages of garbage (reminds me why I dont read som threads there) just to see if there was somthing interesting but there. Well there wasnt. Somone brought out the fact that the game is having only one year of devtime - sounds kind of short but thats about it.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke

zakhal

HomelyRebel

April 21st, 2009, 18:51
Oh, the Age Of Fallout has begun … I think I can snifff it in the air which will be the next fashion in game settings …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

April 21st, 2009, 19:01
Wouldn't mind that at all. BRING ON THE NUKES

Despite all my rage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

April 21st, 2009, 19:43
Game companies almost never announce a game when they first begin development of it but usually far further down the road or even when it is almost complete.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

April 21st, 2009, 22:18
Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
I just went through nine pages of garbage (reminds me why I dont read som threads there) just to see if there was somthing interesting but there. Well there wasnt.
Really? Nothing?
Page 3: Obsidian developers turn up and clarify just how many ex-FO related developers are actually Obsidian. I was quite surprised; many more than I thought:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewto…=746874#746874

Page 4: J Sawyer himself turns up and confirms he's the lead:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewto…=746960#746960
(unfortunately he says he can't answer any specific questions about the new project itself, yet)

Page 8: Ausir makes some interesting observations about wishful intersections with Van Buren:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewto…=747585#747585

And some others.

These are few and far between, but there's not much to be said when the devs are not allowed to answer any questions yet.

The Codex: a finely tuned bullshit filter is required

Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

April 21st, 2009, 23:03
And thick skin. But you are right, it's foolish to dismiss the place. Amid all the nonsense and hating you'll find some of the smartest discussions on RPG's anywhere on the net. It's just gotten really hard to filter out all the crap.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

April 22nd, 2009, 00:34
Originally Posted by guenthar View Post
Game companies almost never announce a game when they first begin development of it but usually far further down the road or even when it is almost complete.
How much earlier could they have started it? Fallout3 itself was released only last fall and thats not so far away. Could they have started this before fallout3 was released?

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke

zakhal

HomelyRebel

April 22nd, 2009, 01:20
…its true that their previous games wasnt anything exceptional.
MotB was simply superb. That's enough for me. No current major studio has put out anything better than MotB. Period.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 22nd, 2009, 02:49
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines was released on the same day as Half-Life 2 was released and was on the same engine. VtMB was being created at the same time as the engine and Half-Life 2.

Also the Fallout 3 engine is just an evolution of the Oblivion engine so I don't think it would have been hard to start working on Fallout: New Vegas a 1 1/2 years or more ago.

PS. If the game started 1 1/2 years ago and is released fall 2010 then it would be 3 years which is around the same amount of time Fallout 3 was in development for.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

April 22nd, 2009, 03:19
I'm guessing this is brand, brand new. From Sawyer's Twitter on April 3rd:
loves the smell of contract signing in the… evening.
..and the OBS twitter

Obsidian is happy today.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 22nd, 2009, 04:39
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
MotB was simply superb. That's enough for me. No current major studio has put out anything better than MotB. Period.
Agreed. There are some inherent limitations in the NWN2 engine, but I like what has been done with it …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

April 22nd, 2009, 04:58
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
I'm guessing this is brand, brand new. From Sawyer's Twitter on April 3rd:

..and the OBS twitter
Interesting. Then it could really be brand new. Very unusual to disclose a project so early.

Or Obsidian signed another game.

If development really only started now I suppose they are going to recycle Bethesda's tech and toolset with only minor changes. Otherwise 3 platforms in 1.5 years is mission impossible.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

April 22nd, 2009, 05:53
Wasn't Troika under the gun like this with TOEE? IIRC they made the engine and game in about the same time as this. Obsidian already has the engine. They just need to tweak it, add in some graphics, do their quests and test it out. If Troika can hash out a game plus new engine then I don't see why they can't do this as well. And before anyone says "But it was buggy" That doesn't matter the fact that they got it out at all is quite an accomplishment. Hope these guys have the same stamina.

Despite all my rage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

April 22nd, 2009, 07:12
Well, clearly noone knows if the twitters relate to this or some other project but a fast-turnaround using the FO3 engine (which, after all, has well-developed tools) is one obvious scenario. Gorath is right that it would be an early revelation, though.

I guess we'll find out.

Re ToEE, it was actually based on an evolution of the Arcanum engine - obviously with a lot of work. If I recall (and it's been a while now), they'd already done a fair bit of work on the renderer before signing the ToEE deal.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 22nd, 2009, 18:52
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewto…hlight=#749128
Originally Posted by Anthony Davis, Obsidian programmer
Avellone wears many hats at Obsidian. He is currently the chief creative officer (or something like that) as well as the project director and lead designer for AP.

To whomever asked up above, Feargus is of course still at Obsidian. He is currently the CEO and project director of an unannounced project that is not FO.

Josh Sawyer is the project director and lead designer of Fallout: New Vegas.
So, Obsidian is currenly working on an unannounced project besides Alpha Protocol and Fallout?.

dowon

Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout: New Vegas - Interview @ Shacknews