|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fantasy Wars: Elven Legacy - Review @ GameSpot

Default Fantasy Wars: Elven Legacy - Review @ GameSpot

April 21st, 2009, 17:21
It's nice to see a positive review from a major site, with GameSpot awarding Elven Legacy 7.5/10:
While the awful tutorial feels like a bad dream, the gameplay is engaging and satisfying, with an appropriately challenging difficulty curve as you progress through the single-player campaign. Elven Legacy is a wargame, but like with Panzer General, you can jump in and enjoy it even if you've never seen a hex grid before. Your army consists of melee units, archers, cavalry, siege weapons, and more-fantastic troops like mages and dragons. Each unit gets one action (attacking, casting a spell, or using an item) plus one movement per turn, and this simple formula adds up to lots of different tactics to consider. For instance, will you move your archers into an exposed position so that they can attack an injured foe, or will you use them to attack a closer enemy so that they'll be able to retreat afterwards?
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 21st, 2009, 17:21
Shocking! GameSpot of all places doesn't complain about the difficulty. They dislike two things:

> the tutorial, by all accounts a complete disaster which I somehow completely missed. The game isn't hard to figure out, I read the manual.
> the cut scenes, which are uninspiring

From the text of the review, I would have thought it would get an 8.5.

my novel: bit.ly/dreamlandsbook

screeg

floating head

April 21st, 2009, 23:02
It's gamespot - if it ain't mainstream, that's the highest it can get.

Polyester

Watchdog

April 22nd, 2009, 20:41
I had forgotten all about this game in the whirlwind of Fallout news. I gotta head down this weekend and see if it is there yet. Hope so.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fantasy Wars: Elven Legacy - Review @ GameSpot