|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

May 6th, 2009, 03:48
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
Can anyone point me to a good demo download for the Total War series? I'd like to try the series out and I can't find a valid one for Medeival2—but I'm open to whatever incarnation you experts think is the best one.
Did you try the official website? Other than that I dunno.

I liked Medieval II the best. Rome was also very good. There's not much point going back older than that. I haven't tried Empire Total War yet, as the gunpowder age never appealed to me much.

Right now playing LEGO Batman and having a blast. Just picked up Mirror's Edge yesterday for $19.99. Will get to that eventually.

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880
Jabberwocky is offline

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky's Avatar
True Synaesthete

#2321

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 1,081

Default 

May 6th, 2009, 17:05
Can't find one for Medieval II, Jabs—the official site has a link to a Steam demo of Empire, but then I have to download all the steam gadgets. I'll keep looking—I just want to check out the interface to make sure it doesn't drive me crazy—the game itself is way cheap.

Thanks for your input.

Edit;Found a fan site and am downloading from there. In case anyone else is ever interested, here's the link:
http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local_links.php?catid=157

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.
Last edited by magerette; May 6th, 2009 at 17:32.
magerette is offline

magerette

magerette's Avatar
Hedgewitch

#2322

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,929

Default 

May 6th, 2009, 20:46
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
Can anyone point me to a good demo download for the Total War series? I'd like to try the series out and I can't find a valid one for Medeival2—but I'm open to whatever incarnation you experts think is the best one.
I can't, but I have a suggestion that made the game more playable for me. Since I don't really like RTS I just play the turn based strategy part and leave the battles in automatic. If you like RTS then never mind, in my case I enjoy watching the battles take place, which is bad for RTS where you're supposed to issue 200 orders per second all over the map, memorizing 20 shortcuts or you're dead.

As for what I'm playing now, just yesterday I finished 'Bladestorm' in my PS3. It was good, like Dynasty Warriors (which I don't really like) but where you control companies of units instead of just your character. Some strategy and tactics required.
Now I'm wondering if I should continue Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 or NWN2 MoB in my PC (or even opening that tempting box of Elven Legacy)
wolfing is offline

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Wonders what SasqWatch is

#2323

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tardis
Posts: 3,292

Default 

May 6th, 2009, 21:31
I just picked up a game called 'Plants vs. Zombies.' It's kind of action oriented but so far it's a very good game with excellent humor, very different.

http://www.popcap.com/games/pvz
Sir Markus is offline

Sir Markus

Sir Markus's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#2324

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Columbus, OH USA
Posts: 812

Default 

May 6th, 2009, 21:35
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Well, I'm all over the place now …

PC: Stalin vs. Martians … yeah.
Also on PC: Demigod, Empire: Total War, Company of heroes: Tales of Valor, Hard to Be a God, Stubbs the Zombie

Mac: Red Faction, NWN 1

DS: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, miscellaneous fiddling with other stuff because I don't really like FFCC.

PSP: 'revival time' - replaying SOCOM: Tactical Strike, SWAT, Space Invaders Extreme, Riviera
How do you play all of these at the same time ? I'm still with Gothic III, first real playthrough.
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

#2325

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, uk
Posts: 3,259
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

May 7th, 2009, 04:12
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
Can't find one for Medieval II, Jabs—the official site has a link to a Steam demo of Empire, but then I have to download all the steam gadgets. I'll keep looking—I just want to check out the interface to make sure it doesn't drive me crazy—the game itself is way cheap.

Thanks for your input.

Edit;Found a fan site and am downloading from there. In case anyone else is ever interested, here's the link:
http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local_links.php?catid=157
Glad you found one. The interface is quite simple imho. And the RTS battles are not that complicated. After so many versions in the series they have pretty much perfected ease of use, they just still need to get the AI kinks worked out. Hope you like it!

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880
Jabberwocky is offline

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky's Avatar
True Synaesthete

#2326

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 1,081

Default 

May 7th, 2009, 08:53
Just bought Jade Empire so I will be playing that soon.

Still playing WoW and BG2 as usual!

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#2327

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,082

Default 

May 7th, 2009, 11:59
Originally Posted by Sir Markus View Post
I just picked up a game called 'Plants vs. Zombies.' It's kind of action oriented but so far it's a very good game with excellent humor, very different.

http://www.popcap.com/games/pvz
I just got the Mac version of this - only heard good things, can't wait to try.

Sadly, Stalin vs. Martians is cute and quirky for about 15 minutes, then not so great. Not recommended to pay more than $5.

Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
How do you play all of these at the same time ? I'm still with Gothic III, first real playthrough.
Typically on a single platform I'll fiddle with a bunch, then plow headfirst through one then move to the next and so on. With handhelds it has to do with playing in bed and while waiting for kids' activities and such.

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2328

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,475

Default 

May 7th, 2009, 15:13
WARNING rpgwatch members. Plants vs. Zombies is ridiculously addictive. Stupid game kept me up 4 hours past my bedtime, and I'm paying the price this morning.
Sir Markus is offline

Sir Markus

Sir Markus's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#2329

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Columbus, OH USA
Posts: 812

Default 

May 7th, 2009, 15:15
I know I downloaded the trial version, I cant lay it down anymore and I need to wrok for school.

This is my way of the Ninja: I never take back my word
titus is offline

titus

titus's Avatar
Substitute Shinigami

#2330

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: belgium-genk
Posts: 1,053
Send a message via MSN to titus

Default 

May 7th, 2009, 16:16
I'm about 3 hours into Deus Ex: Invisible War now…having a hard time getting into this game…
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2331

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,020

Default 

May 8th, 2009, 02:43
Originally Posted by Sir Markus View Post
WARNING rpgwatch members. Plants vs. Zombies is ridiculously addictive. Stupid game kept me up 4 hours past my bedtime, and I'm paying the price this morning.
Still haven't started yet … going to boot into the PC side of my Macbook Pro for the evening to keep myself away from it …

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'm about 3 hours into Deus Ex: Invisible War now…having a hard time getting into this game…
That is because is sucks. Try something better like Dungeon Lords or Mistmare …

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2332

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,475

Default 

May 8th, 2009, 04:59
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
That is because is sucks. Try something better like Dungeon Lords or Mistmare …
I actually do plan on playing through Dungeon Lords before The Orb and the Oracle is released, but Mistmare…..no thanks.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2333

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,020

Default 

May 8th, 2009, 05:11
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I actually do plan on playing through Dungeon Lords before The Orb and the Oracle is released, but Mistmare…..no thanks.
Someone on the forum here said it wasn't as bad as reputed … I got it really cheap on Goozex but still haven't tried …

As for Orb & Oracle … I'm guessing 2010 at best, I'm still active on the forums and there is nothing coming out of the publishers …

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2334

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,475

Default 

May 8th, 2009, 05:22
I tried the demo for Mistare a while back……t e r r i b l e …

Want to see something funny? I'm sure you're familiar with how Gamespot.com is well known for being generous in their reviews, look at this…. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/mistmare/index.html
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2335

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,020

Default 

May 8th, 2009, 06:16
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Someone on the forum here said it wasn't as bad as reputed … I got it really cheap on Goozex but still haven't tried …
It isn't as bad as reported, it's worse. I tried to play this game when it first came out and I couldn't get past the bugs. There is some kind of unofficial patch that helps with the CTDs. Other than the bugs there is the lame combat system. Stamina and magic are the same skill. If you run out of stamina you can't fight, but you use it to cast spells. So basically if you swing a sword you use stamina, if you cast a spell you use stamina and when you run out well that's too bad. It's not bad in theory if the stamina bar replenished faster, but in practice it makes for a lame combat system.

This is all that I can remember from this game. I could live with the lame combat system. I still managed to win a few fights, but the CTDs is what killed this game in the end. I gave up after my 20th or 30th CTD.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
skavenhorde is offline

skavenhorde

skavenhorde's Avatar
Little BRO Rat

#2336

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 5,408

Default 

May 8th, 2009, 11:58
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I tried the demo for Mistare a while back……t e r r i b l e …

Want to see something funny? I'm sure you're familiar with how Gamespot.com is well known for being generous in their reviews, look at this…. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/mistmare/index.html
Two things:
- I played the demo and thought it was awful, but the analysis offered here was that the demo didn't represent final quality. And since I have so much credit at Goozex it was pretty much free for me … can't remember who said it wasn't that bad.
- Gamespot … what they do is be too generous with some and make up with being overly critical on others … that way they can get a reasonable average and appear 'fair and balanced'.

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2337

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,475

Default 

May 10th, 2009, 14:50
Plants VS Zombies is amazing. Funny, addictive and it could theoretically go on forever.
danutz_plusplus is offline

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#2338

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,140

Default 

May 10th, 2009, 15:57
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Plants VS Zombies is amazing. Funny, addictive and it could theoretically go on forever.
Yep - I have it from Popcap on the Mac and on Steam on two different PC's, and have played the same sections 3 times don't mind at all …

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2339

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,475

Default 

May 10th, 2009, 23:21
got Painkiller gold ed off steam for like 9.99, playing that w/ one hand and Runescape w/ the other on the other pc to my left at the same time.
xSamhainx is offline

xSamhainx

xSamhainx's Avatar
Paws of Doom

#2340

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 4,671
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:10.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch