|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics & Religion » The war on terror is over officially \o/

Default The war on terror is over officially \o/

June 22nd, 2009, 06:54
Sooo… entirely leaving aside the little fact that Obama isn't about to institute either the draft or mandatory service, you're saying that a country with the draft (or mandatory service) is fascist?

Okay, I guess. Sorry, have to run off to polish my jackboots…

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

June 22nd, 2009, 09:26
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post
Sooo… entirely leaving aside the little fact that Obama isn't about to institute either the draft or mandatory service, you're saying that a country with the draft (or mandatory service) is fascist?
Just like the Communist ..er Fascist USSR

V7

Keeper of the Watch

June 22nd, 2009, 14:49

Okay, I guess. Sorry, have to run off to polish my jackboots…
Based on mudsling's interpretation of the public service bill that Obama *is* driving, he's completely correct and you're putting words in his mouth. We've already discussed that interpretation's merits at the beginning of the thread.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

June 22nd, 2009, 14:54
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
Based on mudsling's interpretation of the public service bill that Obama *is* driving, he's completely correct and you're putting words in his mouth. We've already discussed that interpretation's merits at the beginning of the thread.
I took his posting to mean that he equates mandatory service with Fascism and the draft with Nazism. It's quite possible I misunderstood him, though; I re-read the post and it's certainly open to multiple interpretations.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

June 22nd, 2009, 16:16
I took his posting to mean that he equates mandatory service with Fascism and the draft with Nazism. It's quite possible I misunderstood him, though; I re-read the post and it's certainly open to multiple interpretations.
Seemed like another toot on the "mandatory volunteer" horn to me.

Looking at angle you bring up, though— if we divorce the manifold emotional implications of the words, I'm not sure that's completely silly. The draft-Nazi link is pretty shaky by comparison, but the basic concept of mandatory service for the state is textbook fascism, yes?

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

June 22nd, 2009, 16:19
But mandatory service was also a requirement for old-style republics and democracies: such as Athens.

It's also been a part of our society in the past, and is part and parcel of many other democratic societies: including ones that are far more responsive to their population than we are, such as Switzerland.

Rithrandil

I bent my wookie

June 22nd, 2009, 16:22
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
Looking at angle you bring up, though— if we divorce the manifold emotional implications of the words, I'm not sure that's completely silly. The draft-Nazi link is pretty shaky by comparison, but the basic concept of mandatory service for the state is textbook fascism, yes?
Uh… no. Mandatory service for the state predates Fascism by centuries, and is or has been a feature in political systems pretty much all across the board. (Finland has it, for example — it's an alternative to military service.)

There isn't a single, good, textbook definition of Fascism, actually. Merriam-Webster defines it as "a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition." Wikipedia has a pretty good collection, too: [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definitions_of_fascism ]. AFAICT none of these definitions include mandatory service for the state as a defining characteristic.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics & Religion » The war on terror is over officially \o/