|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Default The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

July 4th, 2009, 06:18
Helen Merrill with Clifford Brown (1954)

One of my favourite vocal jazz albums. Pity Merrill somewhat never made it bigger, I really love her delivery on this one.
Arranged by young Quincy Jones, btw.

What´s New?
Falling in Love with Love

Exuma (1970)

Carribean bluesy psychedelic voodoo folk . Quite extraordinary.

Exuma, The Obeah Man
The Vision

DeepO

deep outside

July 4th, 2009, 16:11
Another song that I'm re-visiting:

'There She Goes Again' by The La's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fL0WiB69T0

Crap video, but a really good pop song.
Last edited by Sir Markus; July 4th, 2009 at 16:45.

Sir Markus

Keeper of the Watch

July 5th, 2009, 05:09
Anaal Nathrakh - In the Constellation of the Black Widow (2009)
Relatively funny grindcore witch cheesy choruses.
Kinda heavy, too:
In the Constellation Of The Black Widow
Blood Eagles Carved on the Backs of Innocents

Nevertheless:
HEADBANGING WHILE MAKING FIRE

DeepO

deep outside

July 5th, 2009, 06:50
The best song of 2008 (after a short contemplation, heh):

Coldworld - Tortured by Solitude

Riffage harmonix are complete genius in this one.

DeepO

deep outside

July 5th, 2009, 23:08
Neil Young
Powderfinger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAhg3Ge7TFM

Sir Markus

Keeper of the Watch

July 5th, 2009, 23:40
Just as a sidenote … I decided to buy myself an album by The Corrs.
Well, I looked into Wikipedia - and found out how much an incompetent record company is able to f*** up a range of band publications :

It is just depressing to me that there are "bonus tracks" scattered throughout the world … Even of compilations there exists versions only in single countries (the "Dreams" compilation has a bonus DVD in Spain only) …

From the official web site FAQ :

3. When will 'VH1 Presents: The Corrs, Live in Dublin' be available outside America?
There is currently no release information available.

4. When will 'Best of The Corrs' and 'MTV - Unplugged' be available in America?
There is currently no release information available.
From the Wikipedia entry on "Talk On Corners" :

However the record company were rather less happy with it and wanted the band to continue recording more new tracks. When The Corrs refused, Atlantic threatened not to release the album at all and manager John Hughes was forced to make guarantees about future album sales in order to gain their cooperation.
From the Wikipedia entries of their albums :

Bonus Tracks released in Japan only
Bonus tracks - on some issues of the basic release in Latin America
Bonus Track also on its own as a bonus on an Australian release
Bonus track on Japanese, French & Australian editions of the album
Bonus Track on Limited Asian AVCD edition
Bonus track available on Japanese and limited German release

Now THAT's what I call scattering songs around the world !

I have no idea why Atlantic did this at all. To me, this is pure incompetence, not releasing ONE version throughout the world, but to fragment the albums into special editions for some countries only … Most people won't care, I know, to the mainstream buyer this is irrelevant … But to me this is … just horrible, because if I want to buy an album, I want it *complete* !

So now I would have to buy internationally - for high prices maybe even …

The only thing Atlantic *really* did with this is fuelling the secondary marlket - and, well, I don't think that their fans would be happy …

*sighs*
*shakes head*

Edit : Uh … Wikipedia discussion :

Height

My father has personally seen the Corrs and can guarantee that Jim Corr is at least 2 inches shorter than Andrea

Your father is not an acceptable source. Unless he's a journalist and it was in an official capacity, or something. —IceflamePhoenix 11:00, 30 September 2006 (UTC)

And besides… Andrea was probably wearing high heels or something. =p —Omghgomg 07:49, 8 March 2007 (UTC)

Or standing on a box. Guv2006 22:17, 8 April 2007 (UTC)

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 6th, 2009, 00:10
"Girlfriend" by the Leftovers

Extremely poppy punk about girlfriends. Has somewhat of an oldies influence. Their music has been described as "a very modern version of a long time ago."

larry138

Black Blood

Send a message via AIM to larry138

July 6th, 2009, 14:04
That's been going on for years, Alrik. The Japanese releases, in particular, have always had something unique about them. I think it's actually a way for each international division to possess its own unique local copyright. Major PITA for a serious collector, though.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Still afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

July 6th, 2009, 14:31
Yes, dteowner, I often see this with japanese releases as well, and I *just* don't understand it.

The only possible argument I've come up with is that they want to try to promote "western" musicians with this bonus stuff. But there's a quirk in this resoning : Japanese people will perhaps not even know that they have something the rest of the world doesn't have ? (I mean bonus tracks on CDs, for example.) Unless they do a research …

On the other hand, if this resoning would be true, we would see *lots* of unique releases of well-known Japanese artists here in the "western region", with bonus tracks and extras that aren't available in Japan … But I don't ever remember having seen this …

And this is true for all other "special releases" throughout the world as well …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 7th, 2009, 05:26
I actually popped MJ's Thriller back on to my iPod for the first time since … jeez, I don't even know the last time I listened. Bought it several years ago when pepsi was doing 'free iTunes song on bottlecaps' thing … my kids actually like a couple of songs.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

July 7th, 2009, 22:18
Just listened to 'Snakedriver' by The Jesus and Mary Chain. I think it was in 'The Crow.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92e3HKmd_2Y

Sir Markus

Keeper of the Watch

July 7th, 2009, 23:06
I put these two gents up a while back, but I've really been listening to the ep a lot recently. Great stuff:
Snow in Mexico

I've been adding and subtracting off my MP3 player the past week or two. I'm a little troubled with the process. I don't have any complete albums left. I've always given Mrs dte a rough time because she buys a cd to play 1 song over and over and over. I'm not some "the album is a work of art" snob, but I enjoy "judging" an artist by more than the radio single. By moving toward a "singles" approach, I'm chipping away at that position. Gonna be tougher to give Mrs dte crap.

Dallas Cowboys: Still afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

July 8th, 2009, 11:36
A song from one of my favourite albums of all time: "Into the electric castle" - an ambitious prog rock opera by Ayreon. The song is called "Isis and osiris"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqzyUrxeOxM

Yay! I've been promoted to Keeper of the Watch1!!!!111!!!1111

Oh.. And I'm sorry to inform you that I'm exactly one of those "album is a work of art" snobs.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
Last edited by Zakhary; July 8th, 2009 at 11:47.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

July 8th, 2009, 20:48
Ahh. Ayreon!!! Here's one of my favourites, from the 01011001 album:

The truth is here

And since we've been talking about heights: Mr Lucassen is good for 2.02 meters (No, I won't translate for you units-of-measure challenged people out there. It's bad enough that I have to translate my words from the heroes' tongue. Zpffft!!! Chmeee!!!).

pibbur

July 8th, 2009, 22:29
I have so many Ayreon CDs that I find it difficult to remember which song is from which album… my favorite Ayreon songs are Two Gates from the 'Electric Castle' epos, and Merlin's Will and The Awareness (both from 'The Final Experiment').

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

July 9th, 2009, 21:24
All this Michael Jackson coverage makes for some somber thoughts about the past.
These two by the original self-destructive and self-absorbed rock group keep running through my head:

Sister Morphine

Saint of Me

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.
Last edited by magerette; July 9th, 2009 at 21:35.

magerette

Hedgewitch

July 11th, 2009, 21:26
New tune from Sarah Sound revivalists. No percussion, and yet still rocks the beat.
"Sunshine Girl" by Celestial

dteowner

Shoegazer

July 11th, 2009, 22:22
I had a hankering to hear a certain CD, George Adams & Don Pullen Quartet City Gates, based on a discussion on a jazz forum, and was thinking about re-buying it on a MP3 store when I finally found it this morning.

But while I was on Amazon I found another thing by them - Live at the Village Vanguard Vol. 1 … which was only $3.56 and was actually from right around the time I saw them live … at the Village Vanguard, no less …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

July 12th, 2009, 06:02
Oh my! Didn't know this -

Kenji Kawai held a Live Concert in 2007, called Cinema Symphony. Hint from one of the youtube comments: "maximum volume = maximum experience." (The default volume of those videos is a bit low.)

Ghost in the Shell: Innocence - Kugutsu Uta 3 (Kagirohi Wa Yomi Ni Mata Muto)
This song does not only have a long name. 10 minutes of pure epicness!

Ghost in the Shell - Reincarnation.
Short introductory speech by the master himself in Japanese (I don't understand that much, sadly), the song starts at ~1:38. This one is shorter than the one before, but also stunningly beautiful.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey
Last edited by Arhu; July 12th, 2009 at 06:13.

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

July 12th, 2009, 20:52
Not *currently* listening but I just came back from the Hultsfred Festival where I saw a couple of bands, some mini-reviews:

Dropkick Murphys: Good but not great, but it had more to do with the crowd than the band I think, since they played as the second band of the whole thing and people weren't in the mood yet.
Franz Ferdinand: Great show with a good number of "live-only" divergences from the album versions of their songs. A bit strange song selection at times but that didn't matter so much with all the effort they put in.
Kings of Leon: Good but nothing spectacular, they pretty much just did their thing and a little talkie in between. The drummer looked VERY bored.
Regina Spektor: I love her! So sweet and still a show with a lot of energy and happiness. I watched her in the second row together with my sister and we were both a bit lyrical afterward.
The Killers: Best show of the festival for me, which probably had a lot to do with me standing front and center. Slow start after opening with Human but it picked up and the the last seven songs or so were all really good picks. Unfortunately I missed White Lies in exchange for my good spot.
Nashville Pussy: Never heard of them before but it was worth checking out. Quite obscene much of the time but they played old-school Rock'n'Roll with energy and passion, and the lead guitarist was impressive.
Slagsmålsklubben: Electronica/bit-pop/dance/drunk-nerds-with-computers-on-a-stage at its best, they did a show that can't really be compared to anything I've seen before. Unfortunately I got pushed and fell in the mud close to the front, felt dangerous for a little while but just muddy and smelly afterward…

Toaster

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread