|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Drakensang » Drakensang » Drakensang, who wants to play it?

Default Drakensang, who wants to play it?

August 5th, 2009, 06:28
After I played G3 and the Witcher, Drakensang is a game I don't want to play. Bye bye Drakensang!

rpgdude

Watcher

August 5th, 2009, 06:56
With the limited amount of RPG's on PC today, picking two out of 3, and then bidding farewell to a game one haven't played, on a forum for that game…

Unless this is satire or bad humor, it strikes me as highly immature, inflammatory, attention seeking and trolling.

"I do X, therefore I wont to Y/Y is bad/Y is wrong/people who do Y is stupid/everybody should do X" is a logic I often had in my teenage years, but as I grew older I realized how silly it was, especially when it's related to entertainment.

Examples;
* I use computers, therefore it's wrong to use consoles
* I use PC, therefore it's wrong of me to like Macintosh
* I use PS3, therefore I should vow to never own a XBox 360
* I like Star Wars, therefore I shun Star Trek
* I play storytelling games, which makes me too sophisticated to play Dungeons & Dragons

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

August 5th, 2009, 07:40
Speaking of party RPGs, Drakensang is the best substitute for Baldur's Gate out there. NWN or NWN2 are much worse and I think most of us are sick and tired of the progress how D&D rules are evolving. TDE feels fresh (at least to me) and interesting.

You obviously like single character RPGs better and that's okay.

PS. Your thread start is very trolling too.

Ergonpandilus

The Guardian

August 5th, 2009, 14:49
can we change the username to rpgtroll?

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

August 5th, 2009, 16:09
The fact is I played for 15 minutes and just couldn't continued. The game is so old and slow. So you think in this forum I have to praise it cheers cheers! Is this what you want to hear?

rpgdude

Watcher

August 5th, 2009, 18:30
What kind of person goes to burger place shouting that he hates burgers? Or do you go to Toyota forum complaining that you hate the brand?

Play few hours and then give your real opinion. You obviously only read few bad reviews, tried for a second and now come to here trolling. I understand real critic, but just shouting out that you don't like it doesn't make any sense, especially in this forum.

First of all, the game is not old and graphics are decent. And the game isn't that slow (if you mean the characters). I'm welcome to hear your opinion after you have given a real shot with the game.

But for now, bye bye rpgdude!

Ergonpandilus

The Guardian

August 5th, 2009, 18:45
Well, on your list (Gothic 3, Witcher and Drakensang) Drakensang definitely is the odd one out. But why post this here? There is no informational content in your post.

Grandor Dragon

SasqWatch

August 6th, 2009, 02:35
Originally Posted by rpgdude View Post
The fact is I played for 15 minutes and just couldn't continued.
Then you have essentially heard one note of one song and decided you didn't like anything by the band. Sound useless? Yep.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

August 6th, 2009, 11:10
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
can we change the username to rpgtroll?
Asked the same myself.

Opening a thread with a misleading title (which sounds like an invite into playing)
in the appropriate sub-forum
and stating in the very first post that one doesn't like a game at all

generates the most maximum level of attention.

To me, this feels like a thoroughly planned deed.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 6th, 2009, 12:04
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
generates the most maximum level of attention.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

August 6th, 2009, 15:20
Well, I'm working thru the second city right now, so I guess the answer is, "Me".

@Mike- that's just a bit scary.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

August 6th, 2009, 20:46
@ Mike: Good Godfrey Daniels! And I thought this guy was bad!

@dte: so what do you think of the game—how's the interface? I'm on the border about it.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

August 6th, 2009, 21:34
So far, so good, Mags. When I can concentrate on it for an hour or more, it gets downright engrossing. Unfortunately, that's a little rare for me. The interface isn't bad at all. I struggled at first (particularly since my first character —"first" is more appropriate than "main" the way it plays— was a hocus-pocus type), but I'm getting much more comfy now. I've still got combat pausing every round, but I issue orders quickly enough now that it's no longer jarring. It's a little early for me to give you a definite opinion, but initial impressions are good and it's only $30 at Best Buy.

Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

August 6th, 2009, 21:46
I've been holding back since I've heard the character development aspect is not very meaningful (i.e. choices you make don't seem to make much of a difference).

Thoughts?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 6th, 2009, 22:00
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
I've been holding back since I've heard the character development aspect is not very meaningful (i.e. choices you make don't seem to make much of a difference).

Thoughts?
There were some reviews here, for example by Corwin.

Regarding character development he said that it was one of the highlights of this game.

For me Drakensang is one of the best CRPGS of the last years. In particular I liked the option for auto-pause after each round, because it reminded me of the infinity engine.

I believe that it was a big mistake to sell it for 30 $ in the US from the beginning, so people get the misconception that it is a budget title.

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

August 6th, 2009, 22:41
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post

Thoughts?
I'm still early in the game, so I'm not sure I can answer that for certain. From my experience, a few points in a skill has made a noticeable difference in performance. Covering a range of skills with your party also appears useful.

As a diehard spreadsheet RPGer, I still have the feeling that I'm "not doing it right" since I don't completely understand the Dark Eye system and haven't finished the game to understand what matters and what does not. That's just my particular craziness, though. I haven't quite got used to the "allocate points whenever" approach, either.

Overall, I'd say character development will be a lot of fun.

dteowner

Shoegazer

August 6th, 2009, 22:45
OK, I must have heard wrong. Maybe it's time for an ear canal flushing.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 7th, 2009, 00:38
You can find a couple of paragraphs on character development in both our reviews. It's not a weakness, it's Drakensang's strongest point.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

August 7th, 2009, 00:43
Hmm but I have heard that there are a lot of skills that are rather pointless to develop. Maybe the translation from PnP to CRPG wasn't fully leveraged?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 7th, 2009, 00:49
Are you perhaps talking about the Realms of Arkania games? They offered a myriad of skills to characters, not all of which were useful. But Drakensang? I'd say the best strategy is to have all talents represented in your party setup. I don't remember any of them being really pointless.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Drakensang » Drakensang » Drakensang, who wants to play it?