|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Good Old Games - HoMM 2-3 Plus Might and Magic 1-6 Scheduled for Release

Default Good Old Games - HoMM 2-3 Plus Might and Magic 1-6 Scheduled for Release

August 21st, 2009, 17:19
Skavenhorde gives us a heads-up that GOG now has the classic turn-based strategy game Heroes of Might and Magic II (including the Price of Loyalty expansion) available for download. Continuing with their re-release for current operating systems of the 3DO/New World Computing titles acquired by Ubisoft, they've also announced that HoMM3 and parts 1-6 of the Might and Magic rpg series are scheduled for the near future:
Aug 20, 2009
We're happy to announce an update of the existing catalog of Ubisoft's classics.

The extension of the existing agreement brings more classic Ubisoft titles like Heroes of Might and Magic® 2 Gold Edition, Heroes of Might and Magic® 3 Complete Edition, The Settlers® 2 Gold Edition and the stunning Might and Magic® 6 Limited Edition, which includes parts 1–6 of the landmark RPG series. Already available for all GOG.com users are Heroes of Might and Magic® 2 Gold Edition and The Settlers® 2 Gold Edition for $9.99 each, while the remaining two games will be added in the coming weeks.
More information.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

August 21st, 2009, 17:20
I am starting to really love GoG. They're getting better games everytime I look around.

Now they just need to bring in Wizardry 1 - 7. I had a chance to buy that a few years ago and decided to hold off. My mistake because I never found it again.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

August 21st, 2009, 17:46
Yeah. Great news

I can finally get Might and Magic 6again as well as part 1-5 of this game series, Might and Magic in the MM 6 Limited Edition.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

August 21st, 2009, 17:48
Apparently HoMM2 Gold has the opera soundtrack as well, unlike most of the recent direct download versions (and indeed the HoMM "Complete" box set). Well done to GOG!

Hope they can get hold of Heroes Chronicles as well, although the campaigns aren't super brilliant it would be nice to complete the collection, the originals are like gold dust to get hold of.

coaster

Utarg of Utarg

August 21st, 2009, 17:51
I'm excited as well—I've never played M&M 1-5 and never wanted to fight the patching/emulator battle to do so, so this will be great for me. I have played HoMM II and expansion, so I can recommend it—it's different in a lot of ways (towns, units heros) than HoMM3 and on, but all the core addictiveness of the series is definitely present.

magerette

Hedgewitch

August 22nd, 2009, 02:29
You should definetly play M&M 3 - 5 since they are the best M&M games ever made and some of my most favorite games of all time. I still play them every so often in Dosbox and those are the only games I do that with. (the M&M games are easy to setup in Dosbox as long as you use D-Fend.)

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

August 22nd, 2009, 04:13
Might and Magic 6 is one of my top 5 games of all time. I played a little bit of it about 2 years ago. I just may get this set to have it all playable on my current rig. I played M&M 1 and 2 on an apple 2c.

Dajjer

Keeper of the Watch

August 22nd, 2009, 05:53
I still have MM's 3-9, but my 1&2 are on outdated 5 1/4 floppies. It'll be good to get one compilation for all of the games.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

August 22nd, 2009, 06:46
Any word on the price for the M&M games?

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 22nd, 2009, 06:48
Anyone know if MM6 will play the cd soundtracks too?

hishadow

Level N+1

August 22nd, 2009, 07:20
I would assume the CD music will come with it since their advertising it as the limited edition. We'll know more in a few weeks.

@JDR The price is going to be 9.99
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/might…imited_edition

Despite all my rage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

August 22nd, 2009, 09:16
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
@JDR The price is going to be 9.99
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/might…imited_edition

Great deal, that's a hell of a lot of gaming for $10. I imagine a lot of newer players will probably end up skipping the first 2-3 games in the series though.

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 22nd, 2009, 11:06
Probably a lot of people will skip 1 - 3, but it's still a great deal. I more than likely won't play 1 - 3 either. If I'm going to go that far back in time I'm going to replay Wizardry 1 - 3, but not 4..NEVER 4!!!

Despite all my rage.
Last edited by skavenhorde; August 22nd, 2009 at 16:33.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

August 22nd, 2009, 14:46
I have M&M 6 and 7 running on my netbook, but will buy this day of release~

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

August 22nd, 2009, 15:24
I wouldn't suggest 1 and 2 but 3 should be played and is just about as good as 4. New players might have a lot of difficulty with 1 and 2 which is why I don't recommend them but 3 is simular in usability to 4 just with a little more outdated graphics.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

August 24th, 2009, 14:48
yes, 3 was great indeed. I can still remember those words after so many years…"I am Sheltem, Guardian of Terra. Twice now you have defeated my pet, thinking yourself worthy of invading my world. Walk carefully then through this third challenge, and take heed your final decision is truly what you desire - for the course of destiny cannot be turned once set in motion.
Until our next meeting, mortals."

Oh, and the town music was so cool and relaxing

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

August 24th, 2009, 16:27
Gotta love M&M

What happened to the NWC people?

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

August 25th, 2009, 17:46
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Gotta love M&M

What happened to the NWC people?
After they went out of business they pretty much scattered to the four winds. I don't know how many of them still work in gaming. Last I heard, Jon Van Caneghem had helped found Trion, an MMO company, but apparently he's left that company and I can't find anything in a quick internet search about what he's doing now. Someone else may know more.

magerette

Hedgewitch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Good Old Games - HoMM 2-3 Plus Might and Magic 1-6 Scheduled for Release