|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

August 22nd, 2009, 16:12
Yes, agree with Rithrandil on both counts! But in this sort of thing that isn't so bad. To me Half-Life 2 is one of the worst games in that regard, though I know many forgive it … it just screamed out for interaction of some sort. In this context, it was enough that he did more than grunt in cutscenes.

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2761

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,326

Default 

August 22nd, 2009, 16:39
Yeah, I mean. It's not bad, and I don't play Wolfenstein expecting great dialogue or story. I play it to kill Nazis and weird supernatural things. I enjoyed it, but it was pretty short (I think it took me about 6 or 7 hours).

Something at the end annoyed me too. This is a direct continuation of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and there were 8 years between these games. So for any sort of resolution I may need to wait, what, another 8 years?
Rithrandil is offline

Rithrandil

I bent my wookie

#2762

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 2,299

Default 

August 22nd, 2009, 19:07
Originally Posted by Rithrandil View Post
Well…he has a voice. His personality consists of glaring at and then shooting at Nazis.
Funny, this makes me think that the movie for the game wasn't done by Uwe Boll but by Quentin Tarantino this time.
bkrueger is offline

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

#2763

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 790

Default 

August 22nd, 2009, 21:50
Originally Posted by Rithrandil View Post
I enjoyed it, but it was pretty short (I think it took me about 6 or 7 hours).

The brief length of first-person shooters seems to be an unfortunate trend these days, they just don't make them like they used to. I'm about 6 hours into my replay of RtCW, and that only puts me at about the half-way point.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2764

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,451

Default 

August 22nd, 2009, 23:11
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
The brief length of first-person shooters seems to be an unfortunate trend these days, they just don't make them like they used to. I'm about 6 hours into my replay of RtCW, and that only puts me at about the half-way point.
Yes that is really a pity.

I believe Half Live took me weeks - of course I was not playing 24 Hours a day, but all in all it was surely more about 60 hours than less.

And even my recent replay of Doom took several days to complete (no speedrunning of course, more a search all secrets and clear all levels thing).
bkrueger is offline

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

#2765

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 790

Default 

August 23rd, 2009, 00:51
I found Dawn of War 2 cheap on Play.com and have played it for a couple of days now. The campaign is fun, its only real weakness is that most missions play very much alike.

Multiplayer is also good, if hectic and HARD. I get my butt kicked repeatedly but think I've finally found a playing style as Eldar that works for me. We'll see over the next couple of days…

Overall a fun game, and a steal at the €13 I got it for!
Toaster is offline

Toaster

Toaster's Avatar
Sentinel

#2766

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 259

Default 

August 23rd, 2009, 01:19
So I'm currently trying to (re)play:
Doom 3
Two Worlds
F.E.A.R.
Pro Evolution Soccer 2009

And I'm unable to stick or finish any of them,and I'm getting bored after 2 hours of playing.

I've also left my
Gothic 3
Vampire - The Masquerade Bloodlines
replays unfinished and I can't get myself to start playing them seriously.
Kostas is offline

Kostas

Kostas's Avatar
Dormant Watcher

#2767

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dear Green Place
Posts: 1,624

Default 

August 24th, 2009, 22:43
With a week left on my summer, I decided to join in on Wolfenstein.
Granted, I haven't reached to far, but the new gameplay is welcome to me, even if it doesn't seem to be fully utilized. I am talking about upgradeable weapons, special powers, and the partially non-linear maps/missions.

Having said that, I do not find the story to be interesting at all. Im shooting nazis, the occult themes are pretty much a pop-culture invention and I find it a bit silly, but it feels like a fairly solid FPS and it runs blazingly fast in 2048x1536 on my system.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine
JemyM is offline

JemyM

JemyM's Avatar
Okay, now roll sanity.

#2768

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,027
Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Default 

August 25th, 2009, 00:01
Performance in Wolfenstein is definitely stellar! As for the Occult stuff, hey, it is a 17 year old Wolfenstein tradition

Can't say I really love the console-ish feel, especially while also playing RtCW. But it is fun. Like the 'hub & mission' feel.

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2769

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,326

Default 

August 25th, 2009, 00:38
I hate PC games that take the stupid ass autosave/save point mechanic from console games. Why the hell is that still around? Consoles have hard drives now. Let me save my game wherever and whenever I want, please, or I will hit you in the face, developers.
Rithrandil is offline

Rithrandil

I bent my wookie

#2770

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 2,299

Default 

August 25th, 2009, 01:05
I suspect it makes it easier to test, if you don't have to test saving at any point in time.

It just goes along with all the rest of consolitis dumbdown. Dumbing down saves $$$$.

Which is why I don't own a console…
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#2771

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 9,849

Default 

August 25th, 2009, 07:38
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
I suspect it makes it easier to test, if you don't have to test saving at any point in time.

It just goes along with all the rest of consolitis dumbdown. Dumbing down saves $$$$.

Which is why I don't own a console…
It's more about extending gameplay, actually. It's the easiest and cheapest way of ensuring a longer play experience for all but the most hardcore players.

Typically, developers avoid the scenario of quick saving during boss battles or similar by simply disabling the option whenever it could pose a problem.

With that said, Wolfenstein is one game where it wouldn't have made much difference. It's extremely forgiving and save points are very generously laid out.

I really don't understand why they don't allow quick saves - but as I said, it doesn't matter much in this case.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#2772

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 13,830

Default 

August 25th, 2009, 08:00
Thank god Doom 3 allowed saves. I could've never played it without.
danutz_plusplus is offline

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#2773

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,014

Default 

August 25th, 2009, 17:25
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
With that said, Wolfenstein is one game where it wouldn't have made much difference. It's extremely forgiving and save points are very generously laid out.
Exactly - it is more a matter of principle … I know a couple of times I wished I could quicksave, but within a couple of minutes I was at another checkpoint.

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2774

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,326

Default 

August 25th, 2009, 18:25
how is it used to extend game time?

Seems to me it would be the opposite - it forces you to proceed with the game and as a result finish it sooner, as opposed to someone like me who saves and replays certain parts repeatedly either for fun or getting it right.

Unless the save points are spaced out really far apart, then i guess i could see how that would do it. I dont generally die often enough for that to be too big an issue personally, what with most newer games ive played being easy
xSamhainx is offline

xSamhainx

xSamhainx's Avatar
Paws of Doom

#2775

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 4,615

Default 

August 25th, 2009, 18:48
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
It's more about extending gameplay, actually. It's the easiest and cheapest way of ensuring a longer play experience for all but the most hardcore players.
I doubt that's the reason for checkpoints. That may be the excuse, but the real reason is to save money.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#2776

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 9,849

Default 

August 25th, 2009, 19:02
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
how is it used to extend game time?

Seems to me it would be the opposite - it forces you to proceed with the game and as a result finish it sooner, as opposed to someone like me who saves and replays certain parts repeatedly either for fun or getting it right.

Unless the save points are spaced out really far apart, then i guess i could see how that would do it. I dont generally die often enough for that to be too big an issue personally, what with most newer games ive played being easy
Most games that use checkpoints force you to redo sections based on the ancient trial-and-error mindset, which essentially means doing the same content over and over.

Not only is this tedious, it also makes the gameplay sections between points into little separate puzzles instead of a pleasant flowing experience. Because of the checkpoint nature, you will automatically start memorizing patterns, so you can avoid redoing the content because no one likes repetition. It's one of the worst kinds of game design, if you ask me.

Developers know you're used to redoing sections, so they can add much harder trials so you can fail some more - because it's ok to die. To me, it creates a very bad gameplay experience. What they should do instead, is make the challenges solvable by observation and clever thinking. That way, you could avoid dying and redoing stuff by being smart.

They don't have to do this, though, and again - it's because of this "tradition" of trial-and-error.

GTA4 is an excellent recent example, and you can probably count hours of gameplay based on redoing sections.

It's pretty basic, really.

It's also tradition because consoles used to have no harddisk and as such, not a lot of space available for save games.

Finishing sooner because you feel the need to press on has nothing whatsoever to do with the length of the game, so your point is not logical.

—-

The reason this isn't changed is basically because developers today don't understand game design. They're basing their designs on "proven" concepts and the traditions of the past.

They're not interested in evolving genres or taking things to the next level - they just want to go with what works.

For that, they look to others and not within themselves in an effort to progress the various genres.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#2777

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 13,830

Default 

August 25th, 2009, 19:03
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
I doubt that's the reason for checkpoints. That may be the excuse, but the real reason is to save money.
Two sides of an identical coin.

I don't mean it as an excuse for the developers, because I despise this lazy approach to game design.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#2778

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 13,830

Default 

August 25th, 2009, 21:30
I have reached the final level of Wolfenstein, but decided to save that until tomorrow.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine
JemyM is offline

JemyM

JemyM's Avatar
Okay, now roll sanity.

#2779

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,027
Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Default 

August 26th, 2009, 02:41
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Most games that use checkpoints force you to redo sections based on the ancient trial-and-error mindset, which essentially means doing the same content over and over.
I call those checkpoint systems 'Die & Retry' … and I wrote an article a while about it a while back based on a completely idiotic PSP shooter that was based almost entirely on it … it was a 4 hour game made to take ~6-8 hours that way.

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2780

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,326
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:59.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch