|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

September 1st, 2009, 12:18
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
hehe I know the Christopher Lee movies are crap and I like them better anyway!
You sound just as female as Magerette

*DUCKS*

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

September 1st, 2009, 12:21
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
You sound just as female as Magerette

*DUCKS*
haha!

I have always considered my tastes in movies to run to the crappy side and never cared - heck, until someone told me that the first three Star Wars movies and David Lynch were supposed to be 'good' I thought they were all just crap like everything else I seem to like!

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

September 1st, 2009, 12:50
haha!

I have always considered my tastes in movies to run to the crappy side and never cared - heck, until someone told me that the first three Star Wars movies and David Lynch were supposed to be 'good' I thought they were all just crap like everything else I seem to like!

Your taste in movies is not what makes you sound female, it's that you realise it's bad and yet stick with it

MUHAHAHA!

That said:

The first three SW movies are impossible to guage due to the massive nostalgia factor. It's particularly massive because basically the entire trilogy is one huge special effects showcase and most of us were children when we first saw it.

When I try to be objective about the old SW trilogy, its quality tends to fade SEVERELY

David Lynch movies ARE crap, so there..

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

September 1st, 2009, 13:54
Lynch, crap? He's awesome. Seriously Twin Peaks was amazing. And plenty of his movies were also very cool. Lost Highway for example.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

September 1st, 2009, 17:24
What I've seen of Lynch (Ive only truly seen two of his films) has been hit or miss. I thought Mullholland Drive was brilliant, Elephant man was good, but Blue Velvet was just… weird. Weird characters, whatever, but not necessarily good.

Ive got Lost highway (ive seen some parts of it but never in entirety) and Eraserhead coming up in the netflix que, i'll have to see what happens there, but I hear theyre 'something else' ='.'=

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

September 1st, 2009, 17:46
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
What I've seen of Lynch (Ive only truly seen two of his films) has been hit or miss. I thought Mullholland Drive was brilliant, Elephant man was good, but Blue Velvet was just… weird. Weird characters, whatever, but not necessarily good.

Ive got Lost highway (ive seen some parts of it but never in entirety) and Eraserhead coming up in the netflix que, i'll have to see what happens there, but I hear theyre 'something else' ='.'=
Mullholland Drive was good. Eraserhead was weird as hell. Lost Highway was cool.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

September 1st, 2009, 17:52

Your taste in movies is not what makes you sound female, it's that you realise it's bad and yet stick with it

MUHAHAHA!
Oh, like guys NEVER do that.

I learned about Shadow of the Vampire in this thread, from you Sammy when you guys all gave me a bunch of horror movie recs pages and pages back. I've watched almost all of them and they were consistently excellent, so thanks to all one more time.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

September 1st, 2009, 18:54
yeah, figures it was me blabbin about it lol ='.'=

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

September 2nd, 2009, 04:01
I thought that was prototypical blind male stubbornness …

The first three SW movies are impossible to guage due to the massive nostalgia factor. It's particularly massive because basically the entire trilogy is one huge special effects showcase and most of us were children when we first saw it.

When I try to be objective about the old SW trilogy, its quality tends to fade SEVERELY
I was older, and while 'Star Wars' truly was a revolutionary moment in cinema, that doesn't mean it was a great movie … yet I paid myself to see it >12 times that first year in theaters. I was older and cared less and only saw the other two 1-2 times in cinema.

I love Eraserhead and Blue Velvet in particular, like bits of Wild at Heart, Season 1 of Twin Peaks, and enjoyed Mulholland Drive …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

September 2nd, 2009, 08:30
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post

You got Dune the scifi movie too. His most demanding movie is Inland Empire. I tried to watch it with an open mind but found it hard to like.

hishadow

Level N+1

September 2nd, 2009, 08:51
I thought that was prototypical blind male stubbornness …
Nope, that's a female trait

Males try to rationalise their poor taste, but women just acknowledge it's poor and live with it.

That, or maybe I just enjoy the generalisation

I love Eraserhead and Blue Velvet in particular, like bits of Wild at Heart, Season 1 of Twin Peaks, and enjoyed Mulholland Drive …
Seems to fit the profile of having poor taste

To put it another way: Lynch just isn't for me.

I think of his movies as art without a point - or points so simple they need to be delivered in the most obscure fashion imaginable, so the audience thinks there's more to it than there really is.

That's not to say there aren't great aesthetics, like beautiful women and interesting symbolism in his films - I just don't think they amount to great cinema.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

September 2nd, 2009, 08:57
but women just acknowledge it's poor and live with it..
Not over here they don't, at least not most of them…

JDR13

SasqWatch

September 2nd, 2009, 11:04
First he knocks playing female avatars as too creepy for him and now he's dissing female taste and hinting we may be blindly stubborn… let me just borrow an emoticon from CM…

—D'Artagnan—I think you may have issues. Ones that could endanger you around women.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

September 2nd, 2009, 11:07
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
—D'Artagnan—I think you may have issues. Ones that could endanger you around women.
You don't know how right you are

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

September 2nd, 2009, 12:04
I think of his movies as art without a point - or points so simple they need to be delivered in the most obscure fashion imaginable, so the audience thinks there's more to it than there really is.
I think you just summed up Wild at Heart I love the opening scene where Nicholas Cage bashes a guys head in a brutally stylized violence scene … and then the whole end-Elvis-thing is just nuts and 'art for no point' …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

September 7th, 2009, 08:39
Saw Inglorious Basterds. Loved it. The pacing was great; great cinematography, the actors were very well chosen. The actor that plays the able and suave german Hans Landa was amazing. Disturbing, funny, evil and extremely charismatic.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

September 7th, 2009, 23:17
watched The Village and Memento. The village, I was a bit disappointed in because I saw the "twist" coming a mile away, I thought perhaps there'd be a double-twist in there but it wasnt the case.

Memento was ok, but it was sort of annoying at times. The whole movie is in reverse, so it's like rewinding a vcr tape and hitting play every 10 seconds. The twist in that one was not evident, I felt like I did when watching the Machinist.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

September 14th, 2009, 07:05
Saw District 9. A good movie with a strong narrative. It wasn't exactly extraordinary, but good nonetheless. The aliens were very well done. They had great facial expressions. Weta did an awesome job again.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

September 14th, 2009, 13:02
I found a list of The 10 Most Beautiful Special FX Films.

Beautiful as in, aesthetic. Sadly I know all of them already, so there's nothing new for me to check out …

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

September 14th, 2009, 14:49
Did the double feature this weekend.

Gamer
I enjoyed this one more than the Mrs, probably because I had a little better understanding of the MMO technical aspects. It's mostly a run-of-the-mill action flick. Definitely not one for the kiddies since there's a lot of sex to go with the violence. I think this one plays better in a theatre—there's no "artistry", but the movie works better with a bit of immersion that will be harder to get on the small screen. If you're interested in the movie's concept, catch a matinee.

Sorority Row
A fun little slasher movie that attempts to be slightly more cerebral than most entries in the genre. Don't get me wrong—it's still a slasher, but the acting is actually decent (within the genre, you'd even call it "quite good") and the dialogue is engaging and regularly funny. If you're in the mood for a traditional teen slasher, this is a good option. It will play fine on a TV, so it would make a good rental if you don't want to pay theatre prices.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Still afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread