|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Default The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

September 14th, 2009, 16:34
Originally Posted by Jaz View Post
Oh yes, get Man Machine. It's a classic. As are Autobahn, Trans Europe Express, Electric Cafe… and all the others.
You wouldn't happen to know of some kind of All-in-one package?

Übereil

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

H. L. Mencken

The Chaos Cascade

Ubereil

Keeper of the Watch

September 14th, 2009, 19:18
Hmmm… not really, since you already have Minimum Maximum (which is kind of a best-of-live album. I heard there was a Best Of Kraftwerk album, but I've never seen it (and I don't know what's inside). 'The Mix' offers new versions (not just remixes) of many Kraftwerk classics. There are other complilations, but they are bootlegs and not sanctioned by Kraftwerk.

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

September 14th, 2009, 22:31
I'm currently listening to "Raabjorn Speiler Draugheimens Skodde", by Dimmu Borgir. If you ask me, this song is truly a masterpiece made by them. I'm much into Black Metal / Symphonic Black Metal and Death Metal and a huge fan of Dimmu Borgir, so people who know me wouldn't be suprised if I like this song this much. Most of Dimmu Borgir's songs are masterpieces. I prefer their recent albums to the old ones, though.

The song deserves 10 out of 10 points.

"The world outside these mavellous walls is a corrupt, rotten husk. Reason, is absence."
—Lord Lucien Fairfax

Graeme

Evil sorceror

Send a message via ICQ to Graeme Send a message via AIM to Graeme Send a message via MSN to Graeme Send a message via Yahoo to Graeme

September 15th, 2009, 08:45
I used to kinda be into Dimmu, I'd have to say my favorite cd of theirs is Enthrone Darkness Triumphant. For one, the lyrics make sense as opposed to the gibberish that tends to pass as lyrics on some of their newer stuff that I got (puritanical, death cult), and also EDT can be pretty scary at times. That's what made me sit up and take notice, it's a truly disturbing piece of work at times. The dual-tracked distorted vocals, the choral sections around the speeding doom-tonal guitars, the seeming belief and allegiance with theistic satanism and shocking lyrical blasphemy that leaves you feeling like if you havent fucked up til this point - by rocking out to this cd youve truly sealed the deal now. That's what makes that one of the only BM cd's that Ive had to keep in my collection, it's just too good to ditch.

The pure blackness of "Relinquishment of Spirit and Flesh", in my opinion, listen to that at 5:10 - if that isnt pure black metal, i dont know what is. "Possessed for eternity…". Then the next one, the Night Masquerade, at the end has that unbelievable section of utter blackness starting at 3:10. Love the "sluts of lust" on that one "oh yes, master, let us receive thine offer and drink with theeee.." Awesome

But Ive calmed down a bit in my old age of 37, I'm now more into non-black symphonic and "gothic" metal (tho most of what referred to as "gothic" isnt dark at all these days), doom, or my favorite the male/female gothic doom thing such as Tristania or Draconian. Love and death, w/ thee for all eternity, my dark enchantress, that whole thing. Great stuff

Evenfall, great early Tristania."call thy name at nightfall, reach out to thee, life's rose". yeah im gettin old
Last edited by xSamhainx; September 15th, 2009 at 09:07.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

September 16th, 2009, 12:33
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
Nox Arcana - Shadow of the Raven

alll instrumental ambient horror type stuff, great. There's like seven more albums of matl by these guys too, yay. Good to work to

Hey Nox Arcana are great and i also like Midnight Syndicate from the same Genre , do you know any other bands of the same style ?

BTW , I am currently enjoying Faun ( German, folk band)

Tragos

Otinanist

September 16th, 2009, 14:53
Voivod - Nothingface (1989), The Outer Limits (1993)
my favourite albums by them (though all 5 albums from 1987 - 1993 are great)

First more thrashy and raw, second more often straight out rocking and melodic, both unique, cyberspacedout, punky and with diminished chords galore.

Intro/The Unknown Knows
Into Mu Hypercube

Fix My Heart
and one of the best epic rockers ever Jack Luminous pt.1, Jack Luminous pt.2

I love the atmosphere on these.

DeepO

deep outside

September 19th, 2009, 06:49
Gustav Holst's Jupiter from his orcestral suite The Planets (from 1914). A collage of most adventurous orcestral movie music ever made since. Some parts was used for Conan The Barbarian movie.

hishadow

Level N+1

September 19th, 2009, 20:18
Nick Cave's Murder Ballads. Powerful stuff.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

September 19th, 2009, 21:18
Are there any Muse fans here digging the new release? My younger son is a big fan and has been playing it non-stop.

Personally, John Patitucci Trio - Remembrance. Some nice stuff, interesting to listen to a sax / bass / drums trio.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

September 19th, 2009, 23:42
@ Mike:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
As my avatar might betray to the informed I'm now enjoying Muse's album The Resistance in full! They're streaming it on their site with decent-ish quality: http://muse.mu/media-player/albums/47/the-resistance/

Unnatural Selection and the three-part Symphony are amazing, and the only kinda weak tracks are Guiding Light and I Belong To You. My favorite part of the whole album has to be 1:50 to 2:50 in Cross Pollination, which is EXTREMELY strong when you listen to the Symphony in full.
Fortunately it's up on Spotify now so I can listen to it in better quality. Emphasis added, since I've listened to the album ~30 times now and I definitely stand by it.

Toaster

Sentinel

September 20th, 2009, 02:27
Cool - I thought I remembered seeing something but couldn't find it …

He has it on his iPod and with iTunes 9 we all have access.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

September 23rd, 2009, 16:04
Entrancing voice (contralto): Kathleen Ferrier (1912 - 1953):
Blow the wind southerly

The first time I heard her voice she was singing Mahler's Abschied (Das Lied von der Erde). I was enthralled.

To my surprise it's on YouTube. For anyone that like to hear more of Kathleen Ferrier I recommend:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
The orchestra is the Wiener Philharmoniker, Bruno Walter is the conductor, it was recorded in 1952.

A man should never be ashamed to own he has been wrong, which is but saying that he is wiser today than he was yesterday - Alexander Pope

Omega

Low Profile

September 23rd, 2009, 22:02
I'm listening to my newly aquired verision of The Man Machine. It's more minimalistic than Minimum Maximum, meaning the sound scape is more pale. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

Übereil

H. L. Mencken

The Chaos Cascade

Ubereil

Keeper of the Watch

September 23rd, 2009, 22:35
I have all the Kraftwerk albums (at least I used to). Haven't listened to them in years.

Pocket Calculator and Musique Nonstop are the songs I remember.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

September 24th, 2009, 00:47
Vee Are Da Robots!

Some really good dream pop from an up-n-coming band:
"Dream About Me" by The Depreciation Guild

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

September 24th, 2009, 00:59
I have gotten my kids totally enamored of Kraftwerk …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

September 24th, 2009, 10:10
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
Some really good dream pop from an up-n-coming band:
"Dream About Me" by The Depreciation Guild
The singer sounds like the My Bloody Valentine singer. I got Loveless but never really got into it. It was too noicy.

This was less noicy and more melodic though. Not sure what to make of it, my initial reaction is something in the way of "…ok, I guess…?". My only real impression is the heavy MBV vibes of the singing.

Übereil

H. L. Mencken

The Chaos Cascade

Ubereil

Keeper of the Watch

September 24th, 2009, 10:53
Speakin´ of dream pop, I really enjoy new Mew album (No More Stories…).

Some Pet Shop Boys or Cure influences here and there, quite exquisite and layered production, a healthy dose of experimentation, but first and foremost - shitload of great, mostly soothing or uplifting, melodies.
So far my favorite pop album this year.

Hawaii
Tricks of the Trade
Sometimes Life Isn´t Easy
Last edited by DeepO; September 24th, 2009 at 11:05.

DeepO

deep outside

September 25th, 2009, 12:29
Currently listening to my Weebl's fave's
Tamale
Kenya
Dugong
Badgers
Annoying
Magical Trevor
Scampi
and
Pastry

A man should never be ashamed to own he has been wrong, which is but saying that he is wiser today than he was yesterday - Alexander Pope

Omega

Low Profile

September 25th, 2009, 16:12
Carl Sagan
'A Glorious Dawn' ft Stephen Hawking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

A remix of the show "Cosmos".

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread