|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Risen 3 » Risen » Risen Spoilers » How high can one train strength?

Default How high can one train strength?

October 9th, 2009, 20:58
How high can you train strength sans potions? I am currently like lvl 14 in ch.2 and had strength up to about 55 or so. Then trained alchemy to lvl 3 and made like 9 strength pots. That got strength up to 100+ and nobody seems to be willing to train me further.

So is there a trainable limit to strength? If so, might just jump back to prior save and avoid maxing alch and taking strength pots until I can train str a bit more. If not (or can train significantly higher than 100), who is able to train me further? Any input appreciated.

dagoo7

Watchdog

October 9th, 2009, 21:56
100 with or without item bonuses.

Basically, stripped naked - you can train all the way to 100, and not until then should you start drinking perma stat potions.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

October 9th, 2009, 22:36
Thanks. Thats gonna take me like 6 more levels (45+ strength +10 more in alchemy). Whats max lvl anyways. Can I expect to be able to get to 21 or so prior to end of ch. 2?

dagoo7

Watchdog

October 9th, 2009, 22:39
There's no max level, so it's really about whether you want to clear the world of monsters or be very thorough with quests.

I completed the game at 25-26, but 21 sounds very attainable in Chapter 2.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

October 10th, 2009, 00:30
I've completed it twice at 26, and once at 27. Getting a level or two more is definetly doable if you clear most of the world, but there's really no point unless you really need the skill points. Usually, my characters are more than powerful enough by the time they pass 20.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

October 10th, 2009, 11:10
Yeah, the last few levels were pretty superfluous.

Spoiler – Might be a slight spoiler

Then again, I'm sort a powergamer when I play computer games - so that's probably a factor.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

October 10th, 2009, 12:40
True, you never get the feeling of being redicilously powerful that you got in Gothic. Especially Ogres and Ashbeasts (various versions) are capapble of tearing the player apart no matter what; even at the very end you have to focus when fighting them.

That has nothing to do with level or lack of skill points though. It's just the way the game is balanced - there is simply not enough armor in the game to protect properly against their blows. Also, max rank Fireball etc will still need quite a few shots to bring down the biggest enemies.

I suspect that if you pump the strength to 150-200 by using potions and items, you might bring them down fairly fast (2-3 power attacks), but they will always manage to bring you down at the same speed as well..

Maylander

SasqWatch

October 10th, 2009, 17:15
Spoiler – At your own risk
Last edited by DArtagnan; October 10th, 2009 at 17:58.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

October 10th, 2009, 17:39
One of the things that I have always enjoyed about the gothic is the combat that many (at least more mainstream gamers) have complained about as being clunky and stilted. For some reason, this has always appealed to me as being more realistic. When you are swing around a huge piece of steel it would indeed be clunky, somewhat sloppy, and you would pay dearly for mistakes or mistiming.

For that reason, I don't mind having to worry about being smashed around by a top-tier enemy even at endgame. I find it rewarding enough that I can actually take down ogre/ashbeast at lvl 20+ and do noticeable damage with strikes as compared to being one-shotted and not even seeming to have hits register at lvl 10.

Similarly, 1 against many is likely gonna be an extremely dangerous situation as compared to 1on1 no matter how big your sword and even if enemies are weaker. So eventually being able to take these mobs of enemies on successfully without having to constantly reload or bravely running away gives me the requisite sense of achievement.

If ever there was a series of games for which the quick save was designed, it is this one.
Last edited by dagoo7; October 10th, 2009 at 17:52.

dagoo7

Watchdog

October 10th, 2009, 17:58

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

October 10th, 2009, 18:13
That's a good argument for the Easy setting. I know the idea of easy is depressing and just feels wrong usually but here it doesn't seem to change much except lowering the damage you take. (about 30%, I'm guessing) I tried for a while when fighting Costa's body guard before I had a decent weapon and it didn't feel too unbalanced. I might try the next game with it on from the start.

fragonard

Watchdog

October 10th, 2009, 18:31

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

October 10th, 2009, 20:06
I posted something of a tactic against most creatures in another thread. I'll copy it in here:

Spoiler

I developed this due to the high number of lizards in the game. It works exceptionally well against them, and will usually one or two-shot them (except the Elites/Undeads, who can take three power attacks). I've killed entire packs of them without taking a scratch by constantly using that tactic. The only difference I ever notice when fighting lizards nowadays is whether or not I need one, two or three power attacks.

Ogres and Ashbeasts, however, have certain attacks that actually might hit, and they hit so hard it might just lead to a death.

Maylander

SasqWatch

October 10th, 2009, 20:14
Yeah, I've defeated many enemies using this tactic as well - but it doesn't really change the odds much when facing more than 2 enemies, because then they'll have the opportunity to strike back without you really being able to respond quickly enough.

But I realise that playing it very safe and cautious can get you killed a lot less, I just found the amount of encounters of a magnitude that didn't really inspire me to be careful in each fight. I'd rather just have it over with and drink a few potions.

Maybe I'm too slow or something, but the dodge/charge thing just didn't seem as sure-fire as you make it seem, unless we're talking 1-2 enemies.

Problem is that you're facing 3-5 packs all the time post chapter 2.

Strangely enough, I found ogres and ashbeasts trivial in comparison - because they tend to come in fewer numbers. 1-2 of those are very easy to deal with, because they basically don't defend themselves and it's all about dodging and timing against them.

Lizards, on the other hand, are much more prone to blocking and responding with the quick attack which means your charge move will only help you at first - and it won't be a guarenteed hit unless you make sure they're not blocking.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Risen 3 » Risen » Risen Spoilers » How high can one train strength?