|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Drakensang » Drakensang » Anyone have issues with SecureROM?

Default Anyone have issues with SecureROM?

October 13th, 2009, 18:10
This is the 2nd game I bought from THC (Titan Quest was the other) that used SecureROM and forced me to DL the no DVD crack to play it.

My DVD drive doesn't see the Disc, due to SecreROM's displeasure with some other unknown software on my system. (I was able to load from a mapped drive on another PC, but that doesn't fix the play disk issue).

After sending no less than 3 analysis file to SecreROM, (and being given lame and weak suggestions by their amateur staff that did nothing to help), I finnaly had to resort to the hacked exe to play. The thing that burns me is that they NEVER DID analyze the files (which are encrypted so you cant even try yourself).

At one point one of their techs even said they couldn't analyze them. On round 3 they emailed a link to yet another app that would restore the exe (yes, they guessed correctly that players are forced to change it), and create YET ANOTHER analysis file they could piss away. I refused.

Just a word to the wise - beware of SecureROM products.

Gman123

Traveler

October 13th, 2009, 23:25
I haven't had any problems with copyright programs since StarForce, but it's a sad thing that these kinds of issues encourages to move towards piratism.

Ergonpandilus

The Guardian

October 14th, 2009, 08:16
How old is your drive? SecuROM refused to work on my very old Toshiba drive. When I replaced it with a newer LiteOn writer suddenly everything was fine.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

October 14th, 2009, 08:40
Cheaper way is to apply crack. If you pay for it, I see no problem using a crack with it.

Ergonpandilus

The Guardian

October 14th, 2009, 09:27
Sure, but this drive didn't even read DL disks. It was the oldest component in my PC.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

October 14th, 2009, 15:11
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
How old is your drive? SecuROM refused to work on my very old Toshiba drive. When I replaced it with a newer LiteOn writer suddenly everything was fine.
My drive is about 3 years old. Same as the PC. No problems with anything but SecureROM. Its not the drive. I tried disabling some apps using msconfig and actually got the disk to be visable once, then it reverted to invisible next time I tried to play it. No, its their F'd up SecureROM software that's the problem. I'll try and check future titles to make sure their software is not on any products I buy in the future.

Gman123

Traveler

October 16th, 2009, 03:18
Originally Posted by Ergonpandilus View Post
Cheaper way is to apply crack. If you pay for it, I see no problem using a crack with it.
Don't use a crack!

I made this mistake (I have an original German Collector's Edition). The game will let you end up in dead-ends (important NPCs not being there, doors not being able to open…) and corrupt ALL your savegames if it detects a fixed .exe. So you basically have to start from the beginning.

This is the reason I hstill haven't played through the game, since about one third in I decided: why not just use a crack? BIG mistake. After that, I (as a legitimate customer) was just frustrated.

A Mini-Image seems to work, though. Maybe they have ven found a way arround this devious copy-protection with the newer cracks, I don't know.

ulixes

Watcher

October 17th, 2009, 13:02
Two things :

- some drives are incompatible, more or less. Forum users at the German-language part of the official Drakensang forums compiled a list of compatible and non-compatible drives.

- I had issues with very old versions of SecuROM in conjunction with newest versions of it, I guess, because when I uninstalled the older games, newer games were suddenly runnable.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Drakensang » Drakensang » Anyone have issues with SecureROM?