|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Grotesque Tactics - Coming Soon

Default Grotesque Tactics - Coming Soon

December 12th, 2009, 11:42
Remember Grotesque, the humorous RPG-in-development by Silent Dreams? You may recall they switched over to a turn-based tactics RPG called Grotesque Tactics to generate some income to feed back to the "main" game. Silent Dreams sent us this PR, announcing Grotesque Tactics is only a few weeks away:
What do Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes, Torchlight, World of Goo and Plants vs Zombies have in common? They re all high quality independent games, which were developed without any publishers and offered on their own homepage. The turn based RPG Grotesque Tactics will be released on the homepage www.grotesque-game.com and sold for around 20 euro.
Important: Every euro is going to push the development of Grotesque, so every purchaser has a big influence in the future of the funny fantasy universe.

The player represents Drake - a depressive commander in a dark leather jacket, who is sometimes called an emo, what he always denies vehemently. Drake was only one step away from committing suicide and hurling himself into the throat of a brutal mushroom, because he wasn t allowed to join the battle, due to the fact that he failed at his military exam. Then the arrogant hero Holy Avatar appears in his shining armor and explains Drake, that he and his semi-divine humble self have more important things to do: Preventing the kingdom of Glory from being conquered by the evil sect of the Dark Church, which slaughtered the whole army of Glory a few hours ago. Now there are no heroes left, who could be recruited for this adventure, so Drake will have to get along with serial killers, thieves and other dubious creatures like, for example, women!

The ironical Grotesque Tactics, which parodies role playing cliches, is also different in other points. The developers of Silent Dreams are back to the roots of old turn based games. With examples like the Nintendo classic game Fire Emblem or Jagged Alliance west & east RPG elements come together in one game. You can control a up to ten headed party, round based, on nine totally different maps (which will be visited more than once). Every character also has its own advantages and disadvantages. But instead of building castles like in Heroes of Might & Magic Grotesque Tactics is a real RPG with a dense storyline and funny multiple choice conversations, which will remind of humorous games like Monkey Island . Your party members need to be found at first, for example the half naked virgins, which have to be rescued out of the claws of evil.
The Evil Heroes are leveled up like in other games. They learn some special attacks, find some valuable treasures in dark dungeons or rainy woods, buy and sell weapons, armor and potions and fight against grotesque creatures like very evil saber-toothed tiger-rabbits!
They also sent us some new screens, which you can check out in our gallery.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 12th, 2009, 11:42
This sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

Dean

Watchdog

December 12th, 2009, 12:34
I don't speak german, so…

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2009, 12:49
the drawings on mainpage looks very amateurish

turian

Sentinel

December 12th, 2009, 14:02
Time'll tell, but I can hope. It'll be interesting, in any case, to see how they fare about the comedy/parody aspect versus Rampant Games upcoming Frayed Knights.

getter77

Sentinel

December 12th, 2009, 14:55
I don't know anything about this one other than what you guys do, but I wouldn't mind trying out the demo. I love playing a game with loads of comedy thrown in (if it is funny). The last really good one I played was the Quest for Glory series. Bard's Tale was great for the comedy as well. Not so much for the gameplay portion, but I loved the whole "chosen theme songs" those little gremlin like things sang.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

December 12th, 2009, 23:22
Downloadable only ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

December 13th, 2009, 05:09
I would expect so. After all, they've struggled for years to get publishers interested in Grotesque and now they'd want to make some simple money.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 13th, 2009, 20:37
Absolutely despise the look of the game, but PCs could use some more tactics action and the design sounds charming. Could be a sleeper of awesomesauce.

Yeesh

Hopeless Curmudgeon

December 14th, 2009, 10:47
Arrrgh, my eyes hurt. I really hope bloom can be turned off.

Working too much could interfere with your drinking.

r3dshift

Sentinel

December 14th, 2009, 11:26
Hmm, this needs to be pretty damn good to get me past the art style obstacle

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

December 14th, 2009, 15:03
Originally Posted by r3dshift View Post
Arrrgh, my eyes hurt. I really hope bloom can be turned off.
It's the first thing I uncheck in the video options of every game I install, even before playing it. I just hate that thing. I think it's fine for 'dream sequences', but for some reason developers feel the need to put it everywhere even if it makes no sense whatsoever.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

December 14th, 2009, 21:43
The screens remind me of King's Bounty The Legend.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Grotesque Tactics - Coming Soon