|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Avernum 6 - Windows Release

Default Avernum 6 - Windows Release

February 27th, 2010, 08:02
For once i feel that it wasn't "that old". The new seamless resolution (floating window or what they are called ) made the game felt alot more modern.

The only thing i never liked with the Avernum games is the movement when not in fighting. I really would have hoped that geneforge engine would have got through to Avernum (the movement atleast).

But with that said. The graphic for a Vogel game really is good. And it feels modern. The writing and the describing of what the moodes the NPC are in is like beeing ripped from a 80s (early 90s) game. AND i mean that in a very positive way.

EDIT: To be sure my post isn't missread. I liked the demo. Alot.

mute

Sentinel

February 27th, 2010, 11:58
Originally Posted by Melvil View Post
The textures at 1920x1200 look pretty darn good for a Vogel game. Color palette is rich (32bit), the inventory ui is better than A1-3 as is the general control scheme imo. Those are some decent reasons for playing again I guess. Dunno about the linearity compared to 4 or 5, but both of those were much more linear than 1 - 3.

More polish, better ui, enhanced lo-fi graphics, party based skill progression, more melee options…sounds like a green light to me.
Indeed, same here. Bought the game just now. Well spend money.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

February 27th, 2010, 12:10
is there any button, to show stuff lying on the ground?

its kinda clunky pressing G all the time.

turian

Sentinel

February 27th, 2010, 13:03
Hold down tab it'll show what the buttons do, and yes the hand button bottom middle slightly to the left.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

March 2nd, 2010, 19:04
For some reason I have trouble getting into the Avernum series. I do like the later Geneforges and that Roman/Celt remake.

These games ARE very much on the tough side though. It seems like you have to get your builds just right, including holding off on improving skills via skillpoints if some dude can teach them to you for gold. Ends up being a case of you almost needing to read guides on the forums to make a character/party that can be successful in the game.

Especially in geneforge you would keep hitting these plateaus of power were you would wipe the floor with entire maps and then go to a map on the next "tier" and would have great trouble with it.

Sergius64

Watchdog

March 28th, 2010, 21:31
Even though I've read about the Spiderweb games for years I never tried one, the graphics just looked too dated for me.
After finally giving in to a friend who has been after me forever to try one I downloaded the demo of Avernum 6 and man I haven't stopped playing it.

After about 45 minutes playing I forgot all about the graphics and was having a blast. Really good story and characters so far and also enjoying the turnbased combat, brings back a lot of old RPG memories.

So I've got this Quad core, 6G ram, 512 video card system and this is the game I'm enjoying the most right now, go figure lol.

BTW this demo is huge, I keep waiting for it to end forcing me to order up the rest of the game but it keeps on going.

Warmark

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Avernum 6 - Windows Release