|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Planescape: Torment - The Gift of Torment

Default Planescape: Torment - The Gift of Torment

March 31st, 2010, 09:22
Remember Greg Kasavin? Former EiC of GameSpot? GameBanshee has noticed his blog and an article called The Gift of Torment, on one of the pioneering aspects of Torment's dialogue. He makes some curious assertions about Mass Effect 2 but it's otherwise a nice piece:
In other words, Torment is the first RPG to introduce player intent into dialogue, which may be contradictory to the substance of the dialogue — it's a game in which you can say one thing and mean another, and use this to deliberately lie at times, by means of the authored choices presented to you.

In a typical RPG, you might be asked by a character to retrieve an item, and tell that person "Yes, I'll do it" even if you as a player don't really know if you're going to do it or not — probably you just want the quest logged in case you stumble upon it. You don't think about these types of interactions, and, as evidenced by the completely disposable text content for quests in games like World of Warcraft, they do little to build a meaningful connection between you, your character, or the gameworld. But in this same type of situation, Torment typically would give you at least two options: "Yes, I'll do it" (Truth) and "Yes, I'll do it" (Lie). And it would fully support these choices — lying would affect your character's moral alignment, leading to other changes in gameplay. But even when it didn't really matter whether you told the truth or not, the game made you stop and think about what you were saying.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 31st, 2010, 09:22
And it would fully support these choices lying would affect your character's moral alignment, leading to other changes in gameplay. But even when it didn't really matter whether you told the truth or not, the game made you stop and think about what you were saying.
First he says lying affects the gameplay, then he claims it didn't really matter whether you told the truth or not! Honestly, I think Kasavin doesn't know what he is talking about.

I still remember how I usually found myself in total disagreement with his crappy reviews. Maybe the worst of the bunch was his review of Deus Ex, with a score of 8.2 . Behold a man that is 'always wrong'.

blackcanopus

Dark Sun

March 31st, 2010, 11:03
Deus Ex, with a score of 8.2. Behold a man that is 'always wrong'
Agreed, I'd have given it 9.5.

Oh my, differing opinions on the internet, however shall we resolve this? I say pistols at dawn.

Indie game developer.

Dev Blog

Naked Ninja

Watchdog

March 31st, 2010, 11:57
Originally Posted by blackcanopus View Post
First he says lying affects the gameplay, then he claims it didn't really matter whether you told the truth or not! Honestly, I think Kasavin doesn't know what he is talking about.
No, you just misread what he wrote.

Old Macdonald

Traveler

March 31st, 2010, 12:37
Eh, I thought Kasavin was generally a good reviewer, given that he was writing for one of the big three mainstream sites.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 31st, 2010, 14:02
Originally Posted by Naked Ninja View Post
Agreed, I'd have given it 9.5.

Oh my, differing opinions on the internet, however shall we resolve this? I say pistols at dawn.
If we use pistols at dawn, will they leave Scars of War?

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

March 31st, 2010, 15:03
Originally Posted by Old Macdonald View Post
Definitely, he didn't contradict. Basically he said the game offers you choices that could affect your alignment and other things, and even in the cases where the choice didn't matter, it made you stop and think on what your response would be. No contradiction there.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

March 31st, 2010, 18:33
Originally Posted by Old Macdonald View Post
You are right, my bad.

blackcanopus

Dark Sun

March 31st, 2010, 18:47
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
Eh, I thought Kasavin was generally a good reviewer, given that he was writing for one of the big three mainstream sites.
Maybe this is a case of early senility?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Planescape: Torment - The Gift of Torment