|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Dawn of War 2?

Default Dawn of War 2?

April 19th, 2010, 19:26
I'm curious why there's no coverage of this game here. It's more of a rpg than some of the fps games I see mentioned, especially with the latest Chaos expansion. Sure, it's a squad-based tactical rts. But what keeps me going back to play it is the character development and loot collecting, and the fantastic story it tells. You know, like Diablo. All of the same things that make Diablo-type games rpgs make this game an rpg, it just has somewhat different gameplay. Opinions?

irtehyar

Traveler

April 20th, 2010, 13:17
I have been debating getting hold of this for a while, it does sound pretty interesting.

Quite fond of rts games as well, it might scratch an itch while I wait for starcraft.

Which one should I get anyway? Just Dawn of War 2 & the expansions or would I like the first one as well?

Benedict

SasqWatch

April 20th, 2010, 18:51
DoW2 is pretty fun - I'll agree it has strong RPG elements to it, feeling more like an action-rpg than rts at times.

I just got the expansion, but havent spent any serious time w/ it. That said, the time I have spent w/ it seems to affirm the fact that it changes some things from the original. Like shaking things up a bit, keeping you on your toes. The first game was relatively easy and predictable, as opposed to the first couple missions of the expansion which kinda kicked my ass. Nothing in the original game gave me any problems except for the end bosses on every map.

I'd recommend the "gold" edition or whatever if available.
Last edited by xSamhainx; April 20th, 2010 at 19:55.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

April 21st, 2010, 20:43
The first one is probably my fav rts I've played, and I've played them all. But, it's definitely just an rts+strategy. It's my favorite because in the end (the last expac), you can play one of 6(or 8?) races that all have a different feel. There's very little rpg elements, in that your commander can accumulate a fixed set of 10 wargear. But, the wargear can drastically alter gameplay, and even - for chaos - turn your commander into and incredibly powerful demon prince (!!).

Dow2 is a very different beast. But, it does give you a far better feel for the 40k universe. Because of the game I finally started reading the novels. (I used to play the tabletop back in the day, also) The novels keep making me go back and play through the game again. So, it's definitely much more personal than the typical rts.

irtehyar

Traveler

April 22nd, 2010, 17:00
Cool, will keep a vague eye out for the Gold edition and pick it up once it drops in price a bit.

Benedict

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Dawn of War 2?