|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher 2 - Character Update

Default The Witcher 2 - Character Update

May 19th, 2010, 01:24
Triss Merigold has been added to the Witcher 2 character page, with a render, sketch and bio. The render's jaw-line looks too severe to me but I haven't read the original source material.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 19th, 2010, 01:24
Actually its quite closer to the book version of Triss. She is described as not prettier than average girl , but she uses magic and clothing to make herself above the average.

Twotricks

Sentinel

May 19th, 2010, 06:06
I like it. It's clear we're not dealing with our run-of-the-mill fantasy bimbo, here.

It's funny (and sad) that it's actually *exceptional* for a game studio to make the female lead *not* look entirely like she popped out of Playboy. That said, if that's "not prettier than average," it really is true what they say about Polish women…

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

May 19th, 2010, 07:15
If that was the intention, why doesn't the render match the original concept art (to my eyes, anyway)?

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 19th, 2010, 09:11
She looks like she has lost some weight since W1 , at least she doesn't look younger

Tragos

Otinanist

May 19th, 2010, 09:40
Because they liked it better?

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

May 19th, 2010, 10:16
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
If that was the intention, why doesn't the render match the original concept art (to my eyes, anyway)?
Seems very close to my eyes. I must say I quite like what I have seen of the art direction so far.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

May 19th, 2010, 10:28
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post
I like it. It's clear we're not dealing with our run-of-the-mill fantasy bimbo, here.

It's funny (and sad) that it's actually *exceptional* for a game studio to make the female lead *not* look entirely like she popped out of Playboy. That said, if that's "not prettier than average," it really is true what they say about Polish women…
100% agree.
The tendency to depict women that are are supposed to be dynamic as cute high school girls is for me incredibly annoying (especially in films but it seems to be true for all media).
This Triss does seem more like a person with power that someone could fear.

I like Zoltan & Dantelion a lot as well - they seem to have character.

"I am not interested in good; I am interested in new, even if this includes the possibility of it's being evil"
(LaMonte Young, 1962)

holeraw

V.G.A.

May 19th, 2010, 11:04
When will women be portrayed as NORMAL people ?

When male-centric developers are gone ?

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 19th, 2010, 11:07
How normal are the male people ussually in games??

It is the same for movies and games, people will never look "ordinary" and most people don't want them to……

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

May 19th, 2010, 11:11
Yes, but I jut want kind of "normal" people … Sometimes, I get soooo much ired by clichés I'm just dreaming of a "normal" world … Maybe I should write one, the adventures of a simple farmer or so …

I think, while looking at the Seven Samurai, or the Manificient Seven, we see there pretty normal people. Except from the heroes, of course. Akira Kurosawa portrayed the normal people - the farmers - even more closely than in the remake(s).

Remembering this movie, I think it is feasible.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 19th, 2010, 11:36
To compare the visual director of Alpha Protocol to Akira Kurosawa is like well……. hmm the greatest game heroes to simple farmers

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

May 19th, 2010, 12:13
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
To compare the visual director of Alpha Protocol to Akira Kurosawa is like well……. hmm the greatest game heroes to simple farmers
Which is unfortunate because I really believe that games do have the potential to offer art as much as Kurosawa.

Also BTW… Triss is most certainly not a "normal" woman to begin with, is she?

"I am not interested in good; I am interested in new, even if this includes the possibility of it's being evil"
(LaMonte Young, 1962)

holeraw

V.G.A.

May 19th, 2010, 12:35
Originally Posted by holeraw View Post
Also BTW… Triss is most certainly not a "normal" woman to begin with, is she?
If you mean that she is a witch okay but IMO not many forum users would date her for her looks

Tragos

Otinanist

May 19th, 2010, 12:52
Originally Posted by Tragos View Post
If you mean that she is a witch okay but IMO not many forum users would date her for her looks
Tragos, are you serious?

From where I'm at, Triss as depicted here is a very good-looking woman. She's just not a bland, character-less, cookie-cutter-perfect teenage wet dream we're used to seeing in video games.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

May 19th, 2010, 13:40
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post
Tragos, are you serious?

From where I'm at, Triss as depicted here is a very good-looking woman. She's just not a bland, character-less, cookie-cutter-perfect teenage wet dream we're used to seeing in video games.
I will not start a debate over preferences in females but her body is teenagerish and her face late 20's or early 30's , okay she looks more like a woman and less like a girl and maybe this is why everyone is excited .

Tragos

Otinanist

May 19th, 2010, 13:53
A very attractive fantasy woman

I've never really cared much about fantasy women, so maybe that's why I don't really care about whether they're "realistic" or not.

I don't remember a single game where it took away from the experience.

But this "natural" look doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I think it's probably a good move if people want to pretend the characters of this game have anything to do with plausible human beings

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

May 19th, 2010, 20:34
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
Triss Merigold has been added to the Witcher 2 character page, with a render, sketch and bio. The render's jaw-line looks too severe to me but I haven't read the original source material.
More information.
I think it's a good jaw line. Very similar to Ana from Scissor Sisters.

kalniel

SasqWatch

May 19th, 2010, 22:27
/sigh, I was hoping she'd be in a leather bikini reinforced by steel studs, breasts bursting forth with the vigor of youth….and lust…

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

May 19th, 2010, 22:34
Who said that fantasy must be realistic? I don't "want realism" for the sake of realism. Triss is a fine looking woman. I think its cool that woman characters are looking more like real women instead of teen princesses.

The damsell in distress is getting so old, so more focus on independent women characters is more than welcome. In witcher 1 Shani and Triss were both refreshing women characters because they were both independent and didn't really "need" Geralt in their day to day life. Shani had her healer thing and Triss her sorceress thing. I like that Geralt wasn't the center of their universe and that you had to work for your relationship if you desired it to grow from casual sex to something more serious :-). Like decide which one of two ladies should take care of Alvin. I thought that the storyline between shani and triss was very nicely writen.

Dez

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher 2 - Character Update