|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » DraSa: Phileasson's Secret - Interview with Bigpoint@Gamestar

Default DraSa: Phileasson's Secret - Interview with Bigpoint@Gamestar

June 7th, 2010, 17:10
German printmag Gamestar has posted a short interview with Jan Wergin from Bigpoint, the company that acquired Radon Labs last week. The interview is in German language of course, but key information is:
a) Bigpoint obviously acquired Philleassons Secret also, which will be completed, but the marketing channel has yet to be decided (i.e. download or boxed)
b) Bigpoint still wants to focus on browser games in the future
c) They want to make Drakensang 3, but it may be happening without the TDE License - yet to be decided
d) Answering the question about what Radon Labs should do for Bigpoint in the future, they say 'yet to be decided'
e) They will announce more about DS3 next week
So everything is possible, it seems…
More information.
Garrett is offline

Garrett

Garrett's Avatar
Watchdog
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Southern Germany
Posts: 133

Default 

June 7th, 2010, 17:10
I'm not an expert about Drakensang by any means but.. isn't the TDE license one of the pillars on which the game is based?
Can they even do a sequel without the license?
WorstUsernameEver is offline

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver's Avatar
Sentinel

#2

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 250

Default 

June 7th, 2010, 17:25
Depends on who owns the name rights to Drakensang. If it is registered to Radon Labs they could do a CRPG without TDE ruleset, just like Interplay wanted it to do with (Baldur's Gate: ) Dark Alliance. If the fans are willing accept such a product is another thing. I guess not, because Drakensang is heavily connected to the Aventuria background.

But yeah, it seems as if Jan Wergin from Bigpoint doesn't have a clue what product Drakensang exactly is and what TDE license means to the game.

Direct link: http://www.gamestar.de/interviews/23…_bigpoint.html

A-Van-Te-Nor: A big car full of black hot beverage
Avantenor is offline

Avantenor

Avantenor's Avatar
Sentinel

#3

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 595

Default 

June 7th, 2010, 17:31
Originally Posted by Avantenor View Post
But yeah, it seems as if Jan Wergin from Bigpoint doesn't have a clue what product Drakensang exactly is and what TDE license means to the game.
Exactly my impression - and that of the Drakensang community at the dtp forums also.
Perhaps you can imagine now how irritated they are !

I tend to believe now that they (Bigpoint) were just interested in the team. Of Radon Labs. Not in their products, like Drakensang.

Maybe they even haven't got a clue about "offline gaming" at all.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#4

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 16,002

Default 

June 7th, 2010, 17:52
Urgh, it sounds like they are actually concidering to turn Radeon Labs into a browser-games developer. Talk about wasting potential.

- If at first you don't succeed… try, try again.
Davion is offline

Davion

Davion's Avatar
Lawful Good

#5

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Belgium, Brasschaat
Posts: 256

Default 

June 7th, 2010, 18:05
Haha, I like the bit about turning Drakensang into an international success. They usually translate their titles into over 30 languages. They would like to do the same with Drakensang. Obviously, the Bigpoint representative has no clue.

The interview contains no real information about the future of Drakensang, except that there will be something called Drakensang in the future.
Grandor Dragon is offline

Grandor Dragon

Sentinel

#6

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 557

Default 

June 7th, 2010, 18:36
And I bet the license for TDE is rather cheap really since as I've understood, TDE is not doing that great and they don't even have money to release the rulebooks in English.

But for now, I'm just interested to get my hands on the english version of The River of Time and the addon.
Ergonpandilus is offline

Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus's Avatar
The Guardian

#7

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oulu, Finland
Posts: 486

Default 

June 7th, 2010, 18:38
Similar interviews can be found at PC Games and at Krawall.

No surprises here. Of course Bigpoint Berlin will become a browser MMO developer. The more important question is if they'll also do other stuff besides that.

RL's DSA license was only for offline party RPGs, as far as we can say. It's also not certain that it can be transfered without agreement by the license holder. So it's only natural Bigpoint evaluates going on without license.
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

#8

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,852

Default 

June 7th, 2010, 19:21
more importantly, when can we expect the English version of DSA2?
spiraling69 is offline

spiraling69

Sentinel

#9

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA, New Jersey
Posts: 321

Default 

June 7th, 2010, 20:25
Originally Posted by Davion View Post
Urgh, it sounds like they are actually concidering to turn Radeon Labs into a browser-games developer. Talk about wasting potential.
Form what I've read that is exactly what is happening.
Originally Posted by Ergonpandilus View Post
And I bet the license for TDE is rather cheap really since as I've understood, TDE is not doing that great and they don't even have money to release the rulebooks in English.
Believe it or not in the 1980s there were localized versions of TDE in French, Italian and Dutch.
Originally Posted by spiraling69 View Post
more importantly, when can we expect the English version of DSA2?
English DSA2? That was released in 1994. If you mean English DSA5 (The River of Time) I'd say that the publishers will waste at least 7 months between the German and the English release arguing how to make the most money off it, and later they'll complain that a 7 month old game did not perform as planned.
Originally Posted by WorstUsernameEver View Post
I'm not an expert about Drakensang by any means but.. isn't the TDE license one of the pillars on which the game is based?
Can they even do a sequel without the license?
There is no way Bigpoint can do Drakensang 3 without the TDE license, period. The name of the game stems from a summit in the TDE universe, they are using a modified version of the TDE rulset, etc…
Only a "from the makers of Drakensang" tagline for a new game.
noctrun is offline

noctrun

Watcher

#10

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 59

Default 

June 7th, 2010, 21:18
While this seems really bizarre, again, browser based capabilities ARE primed to increase pretty dramatically compared to the level of sophistication it has reached in these last few years—-Unity3D's upcoming version 3 being the best I know of.

So, cautious optimism, but they really should've educated this person a bit better so as to not cast such a shadow on this whole thing…

Providing, of course, somebody at the company actually DOES know better.
getter77 is offline

getter77

Sentinel

#11

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: GA, USA
Posts: 276

Default 

June 7th, 2010, 21:20
Originally Posted by noctrun View Post
Form what I've read that is exactly what is happening.
I just refuse to believe, that they would waste all that talent, the working engine and EXPERIENCE just like that. But as promised in the interview, we shall know more in near future.

Originally Posted by noctrun View Post
English DSA2? That was released in 1994. If you mean English DSA5 (The River of Time) I'd say that the publishers will waste at least 7 months between the German and the English release arguing how to make the most money off it, and later they'll complain that a 7 month old game did not perform as planned.
Oh, come on 99% in this forum understands that DSA2 means Drakensang: The River of Time.

Though, it's nice to remind younglings that there HAS been other The Dark Eye CRPGs before…

Localization progress is usually started at once for ALL the languages, because even the native language often needs spellcheck like all the others. So I have to agree with you about argying part. As far as I've understood, the international versions should be ready and waiting for publisher to make a move. Luckily the (german) version is quite bugfree and we shouldn't need any patches, since they most likely are not coming out anymore. The addon on the other hand might be more tricky, since even the german version is not ready yet. I wish they would launch Gold/Exnteded/Reloaded/Etc version of DSA2:TRoT with the addon internationally in autumn.
Ergonpandilus is offline

Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus's Avatar
The Guardian

#12

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oulu, Finland
Posts: 486

Default 

June 7th, 2010, 21:20
Originally Posted by noctrun View Post
Believe it or not in the 1980s there were localized versions of TDE in French, Italian and Dutch.
Yes, better times … *sighs*

But not for the fourth edition. There is an English-language rule book out there - but that's it. No further translations.

And even that it not easy to get. Although I saw it a few times at the RPC.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#13

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 16,002

Default 

June 7th, 2010, 22:03
Originally Posted by Ergonpandilus View Post
And I bet the license for TDE is rather cheap really since as I've understood, TDE is not doing that great and they don't even have money to release the rulebooks in English. .
They have the money, but no customers. Are they supposed to make loss from their core business?
Originally Posted by noctrun View Post
There is no way Bigpoint can do Drakensang 3 without the TDE license, period. The name of the game stems from a summit in the TDE universe, they are using a modified version of the TDE rulset, etc…
Only a "from the makers of Drakensang" tagline for a new game.
Doesn't necessarily mean that Significant GbR holds also the name rights to Drakensang. It could simply be part of an agreement between the P&P licencee Ulixes and the CRPG sublicence holder Radon Labs that guaranteed Ulixes the use of the game's name for that campaign as both parties wanted to profit by that business relationship. At least the game package says Drakensang - Am Fluß der Zeit (c) dtp Entertainment AG.
Originally Posted by Ergonpandilus View Post
Localization progress is usually started at once for ALL the languages, because even the native language often needs spellcheck like all the others.
Didn't they say english localization has already been done? (but as always no english publisher)
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
And even that it not easy to get. Although I saw it a few times at the RPC.
It's sold out.

A-Van-Te-Nor: A big car full of black hot beverage
Avantenor is offline

Avantenor

Avantenor's Avatar
Sentinel

#14

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 595

Default 

June 7th, 2010, 22:04
btw, is it just me or do dtp and Bigpoint not agree on who is going to publish the addon? dtp said that Radon Labs demise didn't change anything for Phileassons Secret and the English version of River of Time. My guess is that dtp at least thinks it holds the publishing rights for both, so it's not really Bigpoints decision whenever it would be a download and/or boxed. I'm fairly sure dtp helped to finance this thing and if there is money changing hands you can be sure there are contracts.
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
But not for the fourth edition. There is an English-language rule book out there - but that's it. No further translations.
Besides the 4th Edition Basic Rules FanPro USA also published The Secret of the Blue Tower and Witching Hours and World of Aventuria.
Originally Posted by Ergonpandilus View Post
Oh, come on 99% in this forum understands that DSA2 means Drakensang: The River of Time.
Well 99.9% of the people not going DSA2? matter of sorcery is this? will never associate DSA2 with River of Time. The usual River of Time abbreviation is (unfortunatly (IMHO)) Drasa2. If it would have been TDE2, I woundn't have said anything.
Originally Posted by Avantenor View Post
Doesn't necessarily mean that Significant GbR holds also the name rights to Drakensang. It could simply be part of an agreement that guaranteed Ulixes the use of the game's name for that campaign as both parties wanted to profit by that business relationship.
I don't want to add anything to speculation like that, but the name may very well be owned by dtp.

Originally Posted by Avantenor View Post
It's sold out.
The printed ones may be but they still exist as ebooks, no "sold out" there.
Last edited by noctrun; June 7th, 2010 at 22:16.
noctrun is offline

noctrun

Watcher

#15

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 59

Default 

June 7th, 2010, 22:08
Originally Posted by Ergonpandilus View Post
I just refuse to believe, that they would waste all that talent, the working engine and EXPERIENCE just like that.
How does Bigpoint waste talent? They've just added 35 experienced devs with several shipped titles. Whatever Radon Labs did before the acquisition can be seen as sunk costs.
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

#16

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,852

Default 

June 7th, 2010, 22:12
Originally Posted by noctrun View Post
btw, is it just me or do dtp and Bigpoint not agree on who is going to publish the addon? dtp said that Radon Labs demise didn't change anything for Phileassons Secret and the English version of River of Time. My guess is that dtp at least thinks it holds the publishing rights for both, so it's not really Bigpoints decision whenever it would be a download and/or boxed. I'm fairly sure dtp helped to finance this thing and if there is money changing hands you can be sure there are contracts.
Yes, the dtp CM was also surprised. If there was a change she didn't get the memo yet.

I would expect dtp to hold the worldwide publishing rights for both TRoT and its add-on. In that case Bigpoint would have to find an agreement with them should they want those rights, which means "pay them off".
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

#17

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,852

Default 

June 9th, 2010, 03:06
Originally Posted by Ergonpandilus View Post
And I bet the license for TDE is rather cheap really since as I've understood, TDE is not doing that great and they don't even have money to release the rulebooks in English.
Depends on your definition of "great".

The P&P RPG market is shrinking everywhere. TDE is still the most popular system in Germany, and it has several products coming out each month.

Its not that they don't have the money to make an English version. They just don't want to, because they don't think they can break into that market (I agree - which is a shame, really).

Originally Posted by Avantenor View Post
It could simply be part of an agreement between the P&P licencee Ulixes […]
Sadly I don't hold the P&P licence for TDE (that would be awesome). The company is called Ulisses

And yes, pure coincidence.
Didn't even know about the company when I chose my net-pseudonym. Both names are however referring to the hero of Homer's Oddyssee, mine being the Latin name of him, and the company's name being a somewhat English one.
ulixes is offline

ulixes

Watcher

#18

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 59

Default 

June 9th, 2010, 10:22
Originally Posted by ulixes View Post
The P&P RPG market is shrinking everywhere.
Yes. Indeed. And thi is the far greatest riddle and challenge at the same time for almost all P&P markets, as far as I know.

Only Pathfinder appears to have gained several plusses, but that's just my personal, subjective impression.

But no-one knows, in fact, why these markets are shrinking.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#19

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 16,002
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » DraSa: Phileasson's Secret - Interview with Bigpoint@Gamestar
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:34.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch