|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Obsidian Entertainment - Lost its Luster?

Default Obsidian Entertainment - Lost its Luster?

June 21st, 2010, 17:48
An editorial at Koku Gamer asks this very question. It seems to be dealing with the lusterlack of the old BIS, not Obsidian, though. Here's an excerpt:
If I remember correctly, Obsidian’s current release, Alpha Protocol, had been in development for a few years. I remember still being married at the time of me sitting on a bed and reading an article on the game that featured screenshots and an incredibly descriptive article that painted the picture of a game that was well on its way to being released. The concept was solid, and I was nearly sold on it. However, the finished product was underwhelming. Though the dialog system was fantastic, the rest of the game was disappointing, to say the least.

More information.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

June 21st, 2010, 17:48
All I want is for the original team to re-create that magic from when I first stepped out of Vault 13.
Oh, is that all. Well, I'm sure there will be Alpha Protocol 2. Hopefully the DLC will tide you over until then.

my novel: bit.ly/dreamlandsbook

screeg

floating head

June 21st, 2010, 19:28
Hey, I liked Alpha Protocol. A lot, actually. I'm not weird, am I? :-p

Roi Danton

Sentinel

June 21st, 2010, 19:49
Originally Posted by Roi Danton View Post
Hey, I liked Alpha Protocol. A lot, actually. I'm not weird, am I? :-p
I liked the game, but my enjoyment depended a lot on me weighing the enjoyable elements more than the unenjoyable ones.
Of course, this varies a lot between people, and there are just enough flaws that the reviews are at least understandable.

I'm not a bug, I'm a feature!

WorstUsernameEver

Sentinel

June 21st, 2010, 21:30
Enjoyed it a lot as well.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

June 21st, 2010, 22:13
Despite its flaws, I found I enjoyed it much more than the deified Mass Effect 2. More of an rpg imho also, although thats not really saying all that much. Why one is 100+ ultimate in gaming and the other is @70 and fail, i dont get at all.

dagoo7

Watchdog

June 21st, 2010, 22:31
AP is a masochistic gamers dream come true, just after computer seats with needles poking out of the seat.

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

June 22nd, 2010, 03:28
I enjoyed AP a whole lot.

NFLed

Sentinel

June 22nd, 2010, 05:38
I enjoyed it as well. Certainly my top pick of the year so far. Much more fun than ME2.

The blog basically points out the flaw in announcing projects too early as well missing release dates. Usually its the developer/marketing wishlist that is published not the final feature set and that allows customers to get hyped up way too early and allow them to become jaded by the actual release date.

figment

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

June 22nd, 2010, 11:47
Definitely had its moments, but I think it's the worst Obsidian has done.

Including KotOR2 - because I value unfinished quality higher than finished mediocrity.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

June 22nd, 2010, 19:13
Classic game, extremely engaging story RPG based on Covert Military Operations with possibly more choices than any game previously. Dragged down by low quality console designs, pathetic save system, cash strapped publisher with premature releasejacation.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

June 24th, 2010, 03:05
Bad interface design is a real problem, but it didn't bother me too much. I guess I just have more patience than your average gamer. Also, I don't get it why is stealth so bad? Sure, you don't get to hide in shadows, but other than that it's pretty fun. Especially if you don't use Shadow Operative too much.
Originally Posted by figment View Post
The blog basically points out the flaw in announcing projects too early as well missing release dates.
I think the main point the blog makes is that Obsidian is not that good developer.

I feel like I could… like I could… TAKE ON THE WORLD!!!
Last edited by Malk; June 24th, 2010 at 03:21.

Malk

The Tentacle

June 24th, 2010, 03:07
Originally Posted by Malk View Post
I think the main point the blog makes is that Oblivion is not that good developer.

Obsidian?

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 24th, 2010, 03:21
Heh, yeah, thanks… Tho, I wouldn't be much mistaken if I wrote "game" instead of "developer".

I feel like I could… like I could… TAKE ON THE WORLD!!!

Malk

The Tentacle

June 25th, 2010, 17:00
Originally Posted by Acleacius View Post
with premature releasejacation.
I think I'll keep that term in mind …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Obsidian Entertainment - Lost its Luster?