|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Interview @ VG247

Default Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Interview @ VG247

July 14th, 2010, 09:35
Deus Ex: HR Producer David Anfossi has been interviewed at VG247. Here's a snip:
Deus Ex was – at least, initially – a PC exclusive. Is Deus Ex: Human Revolution a PC-targeted experience? Is PC development front-and-center for HR? What’s your primary dev platform? (Thanks, Keenan)

The experience will be the same on PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. The same mechanics – everything is the same.

I used to work on previous games where we had lead platforms, and when we were close to the release date, we had to do a port. And believe me, you don’t want to do that. For Deus Ex, we decided to work on all platforms parallel to give players the same experience.

You’ve got your shooter side and your RPG side. How do you make sure the two don’t end up stepping on each other’s cybernetically-enhanced toes? Is this going to be one of those games were a headshot can hit someone dead-on, yet the game still considers it a “miss”?

We cannot be a Gears of War on the gun side, or a Sam Fisher on the stealth, or an [inaudible] on the RPG. We have to deal with all these mechanics in the same game, so what we tried to do is work as a whole so that the player is able to do what he wants to do when [he wants to do it].

Usually, people say we’re a competitor to Mass Effect and Fallout and that kind of game. This is about action-RPG, and so that’s true. We’re in the same category. But if you look at Mass Effect, which is a space opera with an action component, and it’s a great game. But there are things that are in Mass Effect that are not in Fallout and vice versa. So every game has its specific things – specific mechanics. In terms of visuals, this is also very different. Every game has a signature.
Spotted by Omega.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

July 14th, 2010, 09:35
The experience will be the same on PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. The same mechanics – everything is the same.
That is not good news. It will very probably mean a horrible console GUI with a 30 size font, no real inventory, no quicksave (I'm out), aim assist, cover based health regen and whatnot…

DR490N

Watcher

July 14th, 2010, 10:35
We cannot be a Gears of War on the gun side, or a Sam Fisher on the stealth, or an [inaudible] on the RPG.
I'm curious what that [inaudible] was…
I bet it wasn't that inaudible but the interviewer had no idea what it was.

That one question annoyed me.
It's not "one of those games" it's f…Deus Ex!

"I am not interested in good; I am interested in new, even if this includes the possibility of it's being evil"
(LaMonte Young, 1962)

holeraw

V.G.A.

July 14th, 2010, 12:08
Originally Posted by holeraw View Post
I'm curious what that [inaudible] was…
I bet it wasn't that inaudible but the interviewer had no idea what it was.
Or it was covered by an NDA.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 15th, 2010, 01:34
Originally Posted by DR490N View Post
It will very probably mean a horrible console GUI with a 30 size font, no real inventory, no quicksave (I'm out), aim assist, cover based health regen and whatnot…
…input lag, no input customization, poor optimization, pointless 'press enter' screens, lack of patches, no dlc, no support, broken drm…

mazling

Dungeoneer, 2nd Class

July 15th, 2010, 05:04
Originally Posted by mazling View Post
…input lag, no input customization, poor optimization, pointless 'press enter' screens, lack of patches, no dlc, no support, broken drm…
crappy FOV

pox67

Watchdog

July 15th, 2010, 10:41
I assumed that the purpose of working on all platforms parallel and not making a port was exactly to avoid all those issues.

"I am not interested in good; I am interested in new, even if this includes the possibility of it's being evil"
(LaMonte Young, 1962)

holeraw

V.G.A.

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Interview @ VG247