|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

July 24th, 2010, 09:04
Are you having trouble with the actual controls or the camera?

If it's the camera, keep in mind that * changes the type of camera you're using, in case you didn't know.

- If at first you don't succeed… try, try again.

Davion

Lawful Good

July 24th, 2010, 10:42
I am playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat and I just reached the third and final section of the game. Overall I think this is the best S.T.A.L.K.E.R. up to date. Unlike Clear Sky the three areas are new. Unlike previous games, this is the most well written one in terms of story and quests and most balanced. This is also the least buggy one. The RPG stuff have been given more attention with plenty of quests and plenty of choices to make on how to deal with them.

The awesome atmosphere is still there. I nearly had a heartattack when I was suddenly attacked by a dog in the middle of a large, dark complex after not meeting a single enemy for for 20 minutes or so.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

July 24th, 2010, 21:05
Purpleblob, what are the issues you are having? I may be able to help.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

July 25th, 2010, 02:08
8-10 was the quoted playtime for Avencast, here I'm 23 hours in and just at about the end game! So much for a "weekend game", lol. It's the completist in me, I'm of course turning over every nook and cranny and selling all loot, etc

Pretty fun tho, if not a bit too monotonous toward the end as arpgs typically are. But it's easy to die still if you let too many things slip thru the cracks and land a hit or two, so it tends to be fun in spite of this. For the most part. Things take a ridiculous amount of punishment still despite me dumping everything into damage stats, i cant wait to see what the end boss soaks up!

I'll have to find out later, for now we're heading out to dinner and "Video Games Live"!

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

July 25th, 2010, 17:41
i'm so susceptible to peer pressure, even if there's no actual pressuring. Maybe it's peer suggestion then…

In any case, ive bought Deathspank and am having fun w/ it. I like the art style and retro surf music soundtrack, really cool. Usually I loathe the "making fun of rpg" humor in games, it's usually awful un-funny. I have to admit, Deathspank is not only tolerable, but actually kinda funny as well.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

July 29th, 2010, 19:30
I'm playing F.E.A.R. after getting it plus the 2 expansions for $10 at DirectDrive sale. Hadn't gotten around to it before, but the price pushed me into it.

I'm liking the enemy AI being smart enough to use cover, but they are easy to trick into coming after you, and then you can surprise them by popping out from around a corner. I always play FPS shooters by challenging myself to not take any damage. This is on hard difficulty.

But geesh, the environment sure is repetitive… The once vaunted graphics now look a bit bland… Still fun though!

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

July 29th, 2010, 20:27
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
I'm playing F.E.A.R. after getting it plus the 2 expansions for $10 at DirectDrive sale. Hadn't gotten around to it before, but the price pushed me into it.
Great game with excellent atmosphere. Don't bother with the sequel though….

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 31st, 2010, 22:16
The expansions are kinda odd. Neither are considered canon, meaning that the real sequel (F.E.A.R 2) completely ignore the events of both expansions.

If you do play them, the first expansion is the better one in my opinion, while Perseus Mandate was really poor. If you do play F.E.A.R 2, be sure to get your hands on the DLC for that one. It bridges some gaps.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

August 1st, 2010, 10:35
I just finished it! Very solid game. I only experienced one bug - a swapped weapon fell through the floor (well that and weapons and enemy bodies getting stuck in walls). After the first level, the environments and enemies became less repetitive, so it was definitely enjoyable, and disturbing…

I just had one question - who or what were all the ghosts that attacked during the dream sequences, and in the final level?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 1st, 2010, 20:29
I just had one question - who or what were all the ghosts that attacked during the dream sequences, and in the final level?
My impression was that they were some sort of physical manifestation of Alma's psychic powers.

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 2nd, 2010, 09:41
One month left of the summer and I am thinking about trying to get through as many of the recent RPG's as possible. I am seriously lagging behind in the RPG department, probably because of my studies. Witcher is now 3 years old and I still haven't started on it.

In my pile of "to play" RPG's I have Alpha Protocol, Borderlands, Divinity II:Ego Draconis, Dragon Age: origins, Drakensang: The Dark Eye, Final Fantasy XIII, Risen and The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. I doubt I get through all of those in 1 month though, even if I dedicate 16 hours per day on it.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

August 2nd, 2010, 11:08
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
In my pile of "to play" RPG's I have Alpha Protocol, Borderlands, Divinity II:Ego Draconis, Dragon Age: origins, Drakensang: The Dark Eye, Final Fantasy XIII, Risen and The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. I doubt I get through all of those in 1 month though, even if I dedicate 16 hours per day on it.
I've played all of those titles, except Divinity II and Drakensang. My recommendation would be The Witcher, Risen, and Dragon Age as a priority. Although you might want to delay playing Dragon Age if your time is limited.

Definitely forget about Borderlands, it's not worth your time as an "RPG".

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 2nd, 2010, 12:13
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I agree. Borderland is a lot better than I was expecting but as an action shooter, not an RPG.

"Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks around, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves." - Commander Vimes in Thud! by Terry Pratchett

fatBastard()

Hello, I'm a Zombaholic

August 2nd, 2010, 13:37
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I've played all of those titles, except Divinity II and Drakensang. My recommendation would be The Witcher, Risen, and Dragon Age as a priority.
Interestingly, my Witcher disc had a CRC error… I guess I have to call support.

Although you might want to delay playing Dragon Age if your time is limited.
Hmmm. It's that long? What about the other two?

How is it as a shooter then? I liked S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

August 2nd, 2010, 14:24
One month left of the summer and I am thinking about trying to get through as many of the recent RPG's as possible. I am seriously lagging behind in the RPG department, probably because of my studies. Witcher is now 3 years old and I still haven't started on it.

Hah! There's still 8 hours left. And besides you can sleep for 12 hours in a minute or so. At least that's how it works in FO3 which I'm playing at the moment.

But seriously, I'm impressed by the dedication you and others here put into your gaming. And the speed with which you complete games. I spend ages with a single game, partly because I spend a lot of time just wandering about. (I suppose it'll take me 3 motnths to finish FO3). There is a lesson to be learned here: I shouldn't buy that many new games, unless I plan to retire from work. Which I can't. *sighs* I think I hate the Real life server.

pibbur

August 2nd, 2010, 14:36
Originally Posted by pibbur View Post
And the speed with which you complete games.
I have an interest in game architecture in relationship with human psychology. This allow me to get something out from bad games as well, and I usually manage to finish what I begin. Been considering if I shouldn't try to write reviews for a magazie since my Swedish writing is often complimented to be above average. I do not put down a lot of effort on the minireviews I write here, I could probably give it some more if I went pro.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

August 2nd, 2010, 15:51

Been considering if I shouldn't try to write reviews for a magazie since my Swedish writing is often complimented to be above average. I do not put down a lot of effort on the minireviews I write here, I could probably give it some more if I went pro.
By all means, do it!

pibbur

August 2nd, 2010, 16:36
The Witcher - actIII wandering around looking for a blue-eyed vampire! argh!

& Starcraft II. I like it, but I miss some of the modern conventions that make RTS tolerable. Like the "stand ground" command

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

August 2nd, 2010, 17:39
I decided to do Dragon Age. I went out and bought the expansion and all DLC's and now I am doing the tutorial for my mage, who happen to look a lot like Imoen.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

August 2nd, 2010, 18:29
That would be my first choice out of the bunch! Enjoy!

Are you planning on doing all the origins, or just picking one?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?