|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPG Codex - Dark Sun: Shattered Lands Retrospective

Default RPG Codex - Dark Sun: Shattered Lands Retrospective

October 5th, 2010, 05:06
For such a classic, I can't recall ever seeing a retrospective of Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, so it's nice that RPG Codex rectified that. Here's an early quote on the setting:
The world of Dark Sun is called Athas. It’s a desert world where the conditions are harsh, water is scarce, resources like metal are almost depleted and only the fittest, strongest and smartest can survive. That’s the reason there is no level-less commoner class in the Dark Sun setting, odds are even your cleaning lady is a level 3 fighter with a strength of 18/00. You’re already something special if you can survive in this environment at all, as the weak have long been weeded out. It’s basically the D&D version of a post-apocalyptic wasteland, except the apocalypse has never really stopped. Due to the depleted resources most weapons and armor are crafted from bones, stone, obsidian, wood, and leather, which makes metal weapons/armor, let alone enchanted weaponry, very, very rare.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 5th, 2010, 05:06
I loved this game. I'm surprised that a cesspool like the Codex would actually be able to form a coherent opinion about a classic like this.

I guess wonders never cease.

oldmanpaco

Codex Refugee

October 5th, 2010, 05:44
Not the "C" debate again. And who says they do? They don't write their articles collectively any more than we do…

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

October 5th, 2010, 06:02
One of the true cRPG classics, probably almost in my top 10. Many completely optional and hidden areas that quite a few people I know actually missed. Superior to the sequel in many regards.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

October 5th, 2010, 07:42
The Dark Sun games were amazing. Extremely buggy, but a joy to behold.

PegasusOrgans

Watchdog
RPGWatch Team

October 5th, 2010, 08:04
I replayed Dark Sun 1 & 2 a couple of years ago, and with the latest patches they are very playable.

Dark Sun + Wasteland = Fallout

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

October 5th, 2010, 09:04
I loved those games - especially the tactical combat system.

However, I seem to recall them being incredibly glitchy and somewhat unstable. Maybe it was because I played unpatched pirated versions at the time

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

October 5th, 2010, 09:34
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
Not the "C" debate again. And who says they do? They don't write their articles collectively any more than we do…
Since oldmanpaco has >2000 posts at the Codex and a handful here, I'm going to assume his post was friendly sarcasm.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 5th, 2010, 10:40
Darksun was one of the few P&P RPGs I played. I loved the computer games almost as much the the P&P game. Everything about the Darksun universe was great.

I would love to see this setting done again in a computer game. I don't believe it'll happen, but still would love to see it.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

October 5th, 2010, 10:48
Hasn't the Darksun setting been revived in 4th ed. ?
So, maybe there will be another cRPG, most likely a shitty MMO.

VentilatorOfDoom

Watcher

October 5th, 2010, 11:02
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
Since oldmanpaco has >2000 posts at the Codex and a handful here, I'm going to assume his post was friendly sarcasm.
Since I have >1000 posts myself, I should maybe have noticed. But its been a while. On the other hand I know some people here that would happily jump at the opportunity anyway

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

October 5th, 2010, 11:13
*Sigh*.. Darksun was the only AD&D setting I actually felt showed a little imagination (ok, Planescape and Spelljammer were also pretty unqiue but I liked Darksun the best).

I haven't touched a pen and paper game in over 15+ years but would happily sit down at a Darksun campaign tomorrow if offered. Darksun, Paranoia, Rifts, Tales from the Floating Vagabond, early Shadowrun (before they ruined deckers with wifi) and Cyberpunk were some of the best p&p titles I ever played.

I'd kill for a solidly imagined new Darksun PC title where combat wasn't the sum emphasis of the adventure.

Anarchosyn

Watcher

October 5th, 2010, 12:33
Never played it. I think I came too late to gaming.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

October 5th, 2010, 13:34
I remember having a bit of nerdgasm when I saw I could roll a half-giant (and have like 20+ STR, oh my!)

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

October 5th, 2010, 15:24
Darksun was a cool setting (actually, a hot and dry one) but it was horribly broken from a gaming point of view especially if there were munchkins in a group. The PC game was excellent, though, and one of my all time favorites.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

October 5th, 2010, 15:30
Originally Posted by oldmanpaco View Post
I loved this game. I'm surprised that a cesspool like the Codex would actually be able to form a coherent opinion about a classic like this.

I guess wonders never cease.
Its definately a classic. Your retarded comment on the codex, is a pretty stupid troll to say… and i fell for it… geez

The Watchman

Watcher

October 5th, 2010, 16:07
Darksun was a flipping awesome setting, it'd be great to see a modern game that used it.

Are the old ones available on GOG?

Benedict

SasqWatch

October 5th, 2010, 16:11
No, neither one is on GOG, yet.

Btw, the retrospective is a good read. It brought back a lot of memories for me and should be a nice intro for people who haven't played it. It contains a lot of spoilers that you can easily skip past if you've never played it before.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

October 5th, 2010, 17:39
Bah, would probably pick that up.

I reckon GOG should make a point of contacting some of the review writers for major sites and seeing if anyone's interested in doing a retrospective to come out just before any new launch.

Benedict

SasqWatch

October 5th, 2010, 18:09
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Never played it. I think I came too late to gaming.
You do know that games doesn't have a best before date?
Why not play it now?
It's still awesome.

Jack

▀▀▀▀▀

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPG Codex - Dark Sun: Shattered Lands Retrospective