|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Interview @ CVG

Default Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Interview @ CVG

October 14th, 2010, 23:11
CVG has another Deus Ex: HR interview with David Anfossi (producer), Jonathan Jacques-Belletete (art director) and Andre Vu (marketing game manager). The black-and-gold thing gets more tiresome focus but here's a snip on being faithful:
We can't quite believe how evocative Human Revolution is of Deus Ex 1. Why did you feel like you had such a duty to do the original game justice?

AV: We had a mandate from Eidos back then - it was very important for the portfolio that we had this major title. One of the core points was that, if you're using a name like Deus Ex, then the original was such a great experience we wanted to recreate something that's still kind of unique. We didn't want to create just a shooter, just a stealth game… You take the name, you have to respect the core values. And if you look at the state of the market right now, with games like Bioshock, Fallout 3 etc. people - hardcore gamers - will say they're kind of niche, but they sell millions. That kind of audience wants more depth, the universe, some kind of customisation… instead of a regular shooter. There is a real audience for that kind of game.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 14th, 2010, 23:11
I cant wait to play this one as it stays true to the first Deus Ex.I hope it doesn't turn out to be like Deus Ex Invisible War.I should give the original a run again its been years since I played it.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

October 15th, 2010, 08:56
We can't quite believe how evocative Human Revolution is of Deus Ex 1. Why did you feel like you had such a duty to do the original game justice?
I really, really, really hate that kind of fawning statement in interviews.

Indie game developer.

Dev Blog

Naked Ninja

Watchdog

October 15th, 2010, 12:18
Originally Posted by Naked Ninja View Post
I really, really, really hate that kind of fawning statement in interviews.
At least it didn't include the word: AWESOME in each sentence

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

October 15th, 2010, 13:08
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
At least it didn't include the word: AWESOME in each sentence
Awesome is so yesterday, now it's EPIC in every sentence.

I'm still waiting for a game entirely in hexameter, though.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

October 15th, 2010, 13:09
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Awesome is so yesterday, now it's EPIC in every sentence.

I'm still waiting for a game entirely in hexameter.
That would be both EPIC and AWESOME!

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

October 15th, 2010, 16:28
Wrong. It would be AMAZING. 'Amazing' is the most over-worked, over-used word since 'like' and 'great'.

Zephyr

Sentinel

October 15th, 2010, 16:49
Yes, especially since a big, huge company is named after that word.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

October 15th, 2010, 17:46
And if you look at the state of the market right now, with games like Bioshock, Fallout 3 etc. people - hardcore gamers - will say they're kind of niche, but they sell millions. That kind of audience wants more depth, the universe, some kind of customisation
Just tell me why Jowood didn't get this message????????

Dajjer

Keeper of the Watch

October 15th, 2010, 22:18
You take the name, you have to respect the core values. And if you look at the state of the market right now, with games like Bioshock, Fallout 3 etc. people - hardcore gamers - will say they're kind of niche, but they sell millions. That kind of audience wants more depth, the universe, some kind of customisation… instead of a regular shooter. There is a real audience for that kind of game.
Now if only Jowood would have grasped that and made a real gothic game instead of dumbing it down…

Dez

Keeper of the Watch

October 16th, 2010, 13:37
I fear that the Arcania sales might prove them [their approach] even right … "Go away with these hardcore games !" the industry might believe in the future …

Which leaves us to the Independent Market …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

October 16th, 2010, 13:53
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Now if only Jowood would have grasped that and made a real gothic game instead of dumbing it down…
Why should they? If the reports 3 years ago where right, JoWooD's Gothic rights are about to expire. (Whatever rights they have. The brand belongs to PB.) Why should they care about a brand if they can't use it any longer? Their own brand is "Arcania". The Gothic name was only attached for brand recognition.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

October 17th, 2010, 14:23
Kind of "Final Fantasy" phenomenon ?

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Interview @ CVG