|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Elder Scrolls » The Elder Scrolls I - IV » Finished Nehrim mod for Oblivion and it sucked…

Talking Finished Nehrim mod for Oblivion and it sucked…

October 18th, 2010, 16:50
…up more of my time than any game in years. And it continues to suck up my time as I started a new character in a new game of it. Bravo!

It was a little rough in places but overall it was fantastic. It really shows how much Bethesda could have done with the original Oblivion plot.
BillSeurer is offline

BillSeurer

BillSeurer's Avatar
Eternal Supreme Dictator

#1

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,725

Default 

October 18th, 2010, 17:09
Nice flamebait there. Sigh, I was one of the early adopters here, and I am still only a few hours in. I want more free time…
GhanBuriGhan is offline

GhanBuriGhan

GhanBuriGhan's Avatar
Wose extraordinaire

#2

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,449

Default 

October 18th, 2010, 17:21
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
Nice flamebait there.
Moi?

Sigh, I was one of the early adopters here, and I am still only a few hours in. I want more free time…
I didn't MEAN to spend so much time on it but then 50-ish hours were gone over the course of a couple weeks and I finished the main plot.
Last edited by Jaz; October 18th, 2010 at 17:39. Reason: vB code messed up - just fixed this ;)
BillSeurer is offline

BillSeurer

BillSeurer's Avatar
Eternal Supreme Dictator

#3

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,725

Default 

October 18th, 2010, 18:46
Yes, Nehrim is one of the best Oblivion total conversions yet.

Has anybody tried their Morrowind mod ?

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken
Last edited by HiddenX; October 19th, 2010 at 01:58.
HiddenX is offline

HiddenX

HiddenX's Avatar
The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

#4

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NRW/Germany
Posts: 3,114

Default 

October 19th, 2010, 01:13
What's the translation like? Does it sound like it's writen by a native English speaker?

And how long does it take to get used to the German voices?

Many thanks.
human_male is offline

human_male

human_male's Avatar
Math and girls is hard.

#5

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 514

Default 

October 19th, 2010, 01:32
The German voice acting is excellent although with my rusty German I only understood a fraction of it. The text translations (including captions) are superb with almost no odd phrasing or typos.
BillSeurer is offline

BillSeurer

BillSeurer's Avatar
Eternal Supreme Dictator

#6

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,725

Default 

October 19th, 2010, 05:04
I would love to try this mod out but unfortunately I will not install oblivion again after finding the game boring and with bad game mechanics.I rather play DragonAge And BaldursGate games than that game.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

#7

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 7,861

Default 

October 19th, 2010, 05:21
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
I would love to try this mod out but unfortunately I will not install oblivion again after finding the game boring and with bad game mechanics.I rather play DragonAge And BaldursGate games than that game.
You're only cheating yourself with that attitude. Don't underestimate what the right mods can do for a game.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#8

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 16,933

Default 

October 19th, 2010, 06:16
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
You're only cheating yourself with that attitude. Don't underestimate what the right mods can do for a game.
I have some mods work others crashed my game it was a huge hassle.Not everyone loves oblivion believe me I tried.I can never get into the game.As I said i wont reinstall the game again.Some recent news looks like the next one will be a online mmo So it will be another game I wont try.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

#9

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 7,861

Default 

October 19th, 2010, 08:28
You would "love to try the mod", but don't because you won't install Oblivion. I'm sure there is a logic to that somewhere…
Well, if your problem with Oblivion is the technology, or the combat system itself, then indeed you shouldn't . Regarding most other aspects, Nehrim is a different game, with its own strengths and weaknesses. Peoples mileage regarding crashes seems to vary.
GhanBuriGhan is offline

GhanBuriGhan

GhanBuriGhan's Avatar
Wose extraordinaire

#10

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,449

Default 

October 19th, 2010, 09:35
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
You would "love to try the mod", but don't because you won't install Oblivion. I'm sure there is a logic to that somewhere…
Well, if your problem with Oblivion is the technology, or the combat system itself, then indeed you shouldn't . Regarding most other aspects, Nehrim is a different game, with its own strengths and weaknesses. Peoples mileage regarding crashes seems to vary.
Yes my problem with Oblivion is the technology, or the combat system itself.Including the weak quest system.Every Bethesda game suffers from these problems.Fallout 3 was easy to install the mods required to make it better.Bethesda even mentioned it was there own fault because the engine they used to make the game and because of poor technical skills.

They know how to make graphics look good but not much else. Hence why I said I would love to try the mod, but don't because I will not install or try to play Oblivion.Im looking forward to fallout nv though because of obsidian they know how to make rpgs and implement quests quests better then Bethesda.
Last edited by Couchpotato; July 21st, 2013 at 08:49.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

#11

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 7,861

Default 

October 19th, 2010, 11:48
Im looking forward to fallout nv though because of obsidian they know how to make rpgs and implement quests quests better then Bethesda.
I have to say, I disagree with that statement… Bethesda makes better RPGs than Obsidian…

Although, I agree with constant Oblivion crashes.

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#12

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 866

Default 

October 19th, 2010, 11:58
I wrote them an e-mail offering my help in translating, but I never got an answer.

I just don't want to register in yet another forum …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#13

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,624

Default 

October 19th, 2010, 12:00
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Yes my problem with Oblivion is the technology, or the combat system itself.Including the weak quest system.Every Bethesda game suffers from these problems.Fallout 3 was easy to install the mods required to make it better.Bethesda even mentioned it was there own fault because the engine they used to make the game and because of poor technical skills.They know how to make graphics look good but not much else. Hence why I said I would love to try the mod, but don't because I will not install or try to play Oblivion.Im looking forward to fallout nv though because of obsidian they know how to make rpgs and implement quests quests better then Bethesda.
OK then, the combat feels the same, and the art is unchanged (and indeed performance is poorer due to many more objects and scripts in the world).
The quests and story are very different in Nehrim though. Generally linear, but very involved and spiced up by smart scripting and really well designed locations. Well, I won't try to convince you any further.
GhanBuriGhan is offline

GhanBuriGhan

GhanBuriGhan's Avatar
Wose extraordinaire

#14

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,449

Default 

October 24th, 2010, 09:36
Are any of you getting a strange quirk with Nehrim (English version) and Win7 (32-bit), namely it completely freezing your computer once you quit the game? Sometimes it manages to unfreeze on its own after a few minutes, sometimes I need to end the program with the program manager, etc. It's happening to me everytime I quit Nehrim and it's pretty tiresome. I cannot find a fix to this problem. Any hints? (Yes, I've tried XP compatibility modes and running as admin.)

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Lurking Grue is offline

Lurking Grue

Lurking Grue's Avatar
Random Encounter #23

#15

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: I come from the land of ice and snow
Posts: 552

Default 

October 24th, 2010, 19:40
I get the same thing with Win7/64. I've learned to live with it but I understand that there is a quick exit mod for Oblivion that can be used to mostly cure this.
fragonard is offline

fragonard

Watchdog

#16

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 181

Default 

November 16th, 2010, 05:31
I have tried Oblivion several times since it's release. I always go through a 2-day process of collating all the appropriate mods and configurations and invariably am still let down. Has this total conversion mod finally made Oblivion worthwile? Or would I need further mods to have the proper experience?

I wouldn't mind giving it another go but I don't think I have the fortitude to try and figure out all the mods again,…
Gutted is offline

Gutted

Gutted's Avatar
Watcher

#17

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 30

Default 

November 16th, 2010, 06:02
You don't need any mods for Nehrim, it's complete in itself. Whether or not you'll like it is another question. It's better than Oblivion IMHO but if you could never get into OB it may not be enough. I think it's worth a try though. I enjoyed it very much but I also liked OB for a year or so.
fragonard is offline

fragonard

Watchdog

#18

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 181

Default 

November 16th, 2010, 10:09
Originally Posted by Gutted View Post
I have tried Oblivion several times since it's release. I always go through a 2-day process of collating all the appropriate mods and configurations and invariably am still let down. Has this total conversion mod finally made Oblivion worthwile? Or would I need further mods to have the proper experience?

I wouldn't mind giving it another go but I don't think I have the fortitude to try and figure out all the mods again,
Depends.

If you don't like Oblivion because of purely gameplay reasons, Nehrim might be just the thing.

If you don't like Oblivion due to technical/engine/animation quirks - Nehrim will do nothing for you.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#19

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 13,047

Default 

November 16th, 2010, 14:03
What if I consider the original Oblivion with no mods (except reducing the font size) a really really really good game?
wolfing is offline

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Wonders what SasqWatch is

#20

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,847
RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Elder Scrolls » The Elder Scrolls I - IV » Finished Nehrim mod for Oblivion and it sucked…
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:43.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch