|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher 2 - Insane Difficulty Revealed

Default The Witcher 2 - Insane Difficulty Revealed

December 17th, 2010, 23:26
Eurogamer has news of an Insane Difficulty for The Witcher 2 with permadeath and no save reloading on death. I'll stick with plain ol' Hard but here's a snip to explain:
The Witcher 2's insane difficulty is just that – if you die you have to start the game again from the very beginning.
"You can save the game, but when you die the saves are disabled," explained lead gameplay designer Mateusz Kanik to Eurogamer.
"Of course we plan to have a resurrection scroll, maybe DLC or something. You'll see."
The 2011 fantasy role-playing game includes four difficulties: easy, medium, hard and insane.
More information.
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,967

Default 

December 17th, 2010, 23:26
Would *anyone* be interested in playing the game like this?
Grandor Dragon is offline

Grandor Dragon

SasqWatch

#2

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ravensburg, Germany
Posts: 554

Default 

December 18th, 2010, 00:43
Originally Posted by Grandor Dragon View Post
Would *anyone* be interested in playing the game like this?
If the game is good, crash-free, and replayable enough, yes, eventually.
Insane difficulties are usually way too misnomer-ish.
Here´s hoping the game will be adequately challenging on hard as well. Original was way too easy.
Their resurrection scroll scheme seems like a cool exploit, haha.
DeepO is offline

DeepO

DeepO's Avatar
deep outside

#3

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Prague
Posts: 2,309

Default 

December 18th, 2010, 00:55
Nice , perhaps i do it on the second play trough
Twotricks is offline

Twotricks

Sentinel

#4

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 481

Default 

December 18th, 2010, 01:13
Originally Posted by Grandor Dragon View Post
Would *anyone* be interested in playing the game like this?
Hahahaha, you're new to RPGs huh? Any vet will tell you games today are FAR easier than they ever used to be.
PegasusOrgans is offline

PegasusOrgans

PegasusOrgans's Avatar
Watchdog
RPGWatch Team

#5

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 191

Default 

December 18th, 2010, 03:00
Originally Posted by Grandor Dragon View Post
Would *anyone* be interested in playing the game like this?
Yes, on my second playthrough.

Ever hear of ironman? Last AAA (I know of) that had that was Wizardry 8. Mostly it's just used in Rogues and indie rpgs now. AAAs are too scared to include it.

Edit: Almost forgot about the online version of Sacred. They had "hardcore" or "ironman" as well. I don't know if Sacred 2 had it. I didn't play that one online at all.

Like DeepO mentioned, if the game is crash-proof then I would be interested in playing ironman. If it isn't then I won't play it because nothing would make me more frustrated than losing my character due to "technical difficulites"

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
skavenhorde is offline

skavenhorde

skavenhorde's Avatar
Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

#6

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 5,408

Default 

December 18th, 2010, 08:02
Originally Posted by countingdown7 View Post
Hahahaha, you're new to RPGs huh? Any vet will tell you games today are FAR easier than they ever used to be.
I've been playing RPGs for 20 years now. I like challenges, and am currently annoyed by the fact that NV is so easy even on the hardest difficulty level, and with the hardcore mode switched on. However, I would hate having to start a new game once I die.
Grandor Dragon is offline

Grandor Dragon

SasqWatch

#7

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ravensburg, Germany
Posts: 554

Default 

December 18th, 2010, 09:38
Originally Posted by Grandor Dragon View Post
I've been playing RPGs for 20 years now. I like challenges, and am currently annoyed by the fact that NV is so easy even on the hardest difficulty level, and with the hardcore mode switched on. However, I would hate having to start a new game once I die.
This mod is for you: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloa…e.php?id=34759
chautemoc is offline

chautemoc

chautemoc's Avatar
Watcher

#8

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 78

Default 

December 18th, 2010, 11:21
If it was realised during gameplay that maybe one of the sixteen endings…

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11968

…could only be achieved on the insane difficulty setting then it would all fit in and make some sense. This in itself would perhaps make a competent gamer give it another try and go for max'……but you would somehow have to learn or know of this on completing the game at a lower (non-insane) difficulty setting.

…just a rambling thought.
Wulf is offline

Wulf

Wulf's Avatar
Inquisitor

#9

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North-West England
Posts: 1,106

Default 

December 18th, 2010, 18:22
I prefer games with no difficulty settings at all. Take Severance: Blade of Darkness (not an RPG I know), you got one choice; you can play the game on very hard or you could put it up and go play mario cart.

I know the disabling of saves adds a new dimension but I prefer when you just pick up the game and play it at the intended difficulty. A game should be challenging to begin with IMO.
Cthulhufan is offline

Cthulhufan

Cthulhufan's Avatar
Watcher

#10

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Saint Louis, MO, USA
Posts: 89

Default 

December 18th, 2010, 18:24
If it is as "hard" as the original games hard….. there is going to be no difference between playing insane and easy as you never have to load anyway
GothicGothicness is online now

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,170

Default 

December 18th, 2010, 20:19
Originally Posted by Cthulhufan View Post
I prefer games with no difficulty settings at all. Take Severance: Blade of Darkness (not an RPG I know), you got one choice; you can play the game on very hard or you could put it up and go play mario cart.
I disagree. The more difficulty options the better. In fact, I dislike easy/normal/hard options because it's far too limiting. System Shock (1) did it well. It had easy/normal/hard presets but they just automatically set the actual difficulty sliders. Those sliders allowed you to control specific difficulty settings. For example, I liked playing it with all sliders to max difficulty except the one that added a time limit to the game, as I liked playing it as a slow, careful stealth game even though stealth wasn't implemented. I'd have enjoyed it less (all those many times I played it through) if I had had to set all of the sliders to 1 short of max because of the one time limit setting.

I can't list the number of times that games would have features in multiple difficulty levels that I wanted at the same time (e.g. player HPs, player damage, enemy HPs, enemy damage, friendly AI quality, enemy AI quality, save limitations, etc.). For example, I like playing shooters with realistic game-play and damage (ArmA), but most people seem to hate that (Call of Duty). Flight simulators tend to get this right as well, sometimes with pages of configurable settings but also simple presets for people who don't want to get their fingers dirty.

Often I have to go to the hassle of modding games just to get the experience I want. Crysis was like that, it had very limiting difficulty settings but fortunately you could tune them just to your liking by editing some text files. For the Hitman games, not being particularly mod-able, I had to hack to get the game-play I wanted. It was a big hassle but it was worth it.

There's no way for the devs to know how I like to play a game, so giving me the flexibility to choose is a great big win for me.

As for Witcher 2, I rather enjoyed The Witcher's hardest difficulty - it wasn't hard but it was entertaining. I don't think I'm likely to play Witcher 2 in ironman mode, to be honest, but it's good that it exists for those that do.
Guhndahb is offline

Guhndahb

Guhndahb's Avatar
Sentinel

#12

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 319

Default 

December 18th, 2010, 20:34
Originally Posted by Grandor Dragon View Post
I've been playing RPGs for 20 years now. I like challenges, and am currently annoyed by the fact that NV is so easy even on the hardest difficulty level, and with the hardcore mode switched on. However, I would hate having to start a new game once I die.
And you've never heard of iron man play styles?
PegasusOrgans is offline

PegasusOrgans

PegasusOrgans's Avatar
Watchdog
RPGWatch Team

#13

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 191

Default 

December 19th, 2010, 03:52
Originally Posted by Guhndahb View Post
I disagree. The more difficulty options the better. In fact, I dislike easy/normal/hard options because it's far too limiting.
Agreed. Space Rangers 2 also had difficulty sliders that let you customize exactly what you wanted to be more difficult or easy. I would make some options extremely difficult while making some others very easy. Like I'd make my luck the best, but make scientists extremely dumb and make the enemy very hard.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
skavenhorde is offline

skavenhorde

skavenhorde's Avatar
Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

#14

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 5,408

Default 

December 19th, 2010, 05:38
Originally Posted by Cthulhufan View Post
I prefer games with no difficulty settings at all. Take Severance: Blade of Darkness (not an RPG I know), you got one choice; you can play the game on very hard or you could put it up and go play mario cart.

I know the disabling of saves adds a new dimension but I prefer when you just pick up the game and play it at the intended difficulty. A game should be challenging to begin with IMO.
Yeah BoD was brutally difficult and dying was a equal function of enemies and horrible camera controls. No WAY I'd play a game with perma-death given almost everything has a glitch here or there.

"For Innos!"
ToddMcF2002 is offline

ToddMcF2002

ToddMcF2002's Avatar
SasqWatch

#15

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,230

Default 

December 19th, 2010, 18:41
I hope they change the combat mechanics in Witcher 2, I personally was extremely disappointed at how they implemented it in the first game. I know that games should be as accessible as possible in order to cater to larger audiences but in my opinion they overdid it. Anyhow, speaking of multiple difficulty levels, I find it a good thing since everyone will have chance to find the right difficulty setting for him.
Edgarstrong is offline

Edgarstrong

Edgarstrong's Avatar
Watcher

#16

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 44

Default 

December 19th, 2010, 20:16
The resurrection scroll completely kills it for me (the DLC idea is even worse).
srabuseen is offline

srabuseen

Watcher

#17

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 84

Default 

December 19th, 2010, 22:19
Sounds exciting. I think ill try it.

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
zakhal is offline

zakhal

zakhal's Avatar
HomelyRebel

#18

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Europa Universalis
Posts: 2,973

Default 

December 20th, 2010, 02:14
Originally Posted by Edgarstrong View Post
I hope they change the combat mechanics in Witcher 2, I personally was extremely disappointed at how they implemented it in the first game. I know that games should be as accessible as possible in order to cater to larger audiences but in my opinion they overdid it.
I had no problem with the combat mechanics in The Witcher, and I don't see how it was overly accessible. The only issue I had with the first game was that it was far too easy on 'normal' difficulty, but that was easily remedied by simply playing on 'hard'.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#19

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,702

Default 

December 20th, 2010, 09:58
It's hard to get more accessible than "click when you're told"
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#20

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,212
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher 2 - Insane Difficulty Revealed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:31.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch