|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout: New Vegas - More DLC Coming

Default Fallout: New Vegas - More DLC Coming

January 26th, 2011, 16:39
Uhm… 70% is an average - on a non-existent scale where 140% is top

Have a look at MetaC & see how many decent games languish around 70%…(hint: TOEE)
zadokAllen is offline

zadokAllen

Sentinel

#21

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Innsmouth
Posts: 484

Default 

January 26th, 2011, 16:51
Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
Occams razor would disagree? If majority says its average then most likely it is average and not a hidden gem.
Numbers are meaningless when it comes to reviews. You have to read the content to find out if it's a game that appeals to you or not.

I'll be forced to give a score one day in a blog or whatever and it will still be meaningless without any context.

70% WTF does that mean anyways? How exactly did they come to that conclusion? Were there tests involved? Do they rate every portion of the game?

The only number based score system that is halfway decent is CRPG Addict's Game Innovation, Merriment, Likability, and Engagement Test (GIMLET). He gives detailed explanations to almost every portion of the game.

All these other number based scores are pure whimsy or based upon the mood of the reviewer.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
skavenhorde is offline

skavenhorde

skavenhorde's Avatar
Little BRO Rat

#22

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 5,408

Default 

January 26th, 2011, 16:57
Originally Posted by zadokAllen View Post
Uhm… 70% is an average - on a non-existent scale where 140% is top

Have a look at MetaC & see how many decent games languish around 70%…(hint: TOEE)
I didnt invent the scale but generally 70% is average. Thats unless I have somhow understood game reviews wrong for the past 20 years.
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
Numbers are meaningless when it comes to reviews. You have to read the content to find out if it's a game that appeals to you or not.
Just because I talked about numbers you assumed I didnt actually read the reviews? Didnt you notice I posted three quots to add the numbers? Where do you think i got the quotes from? I got them from the different reviews I read. Bingo!
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
70% WTF does that mean anyways? How exactly did they come to that conclusion? Were there tests involved? Do they rate every portion of the game?
It generally means that the game is around 70% give or take few points say 65-75%. Id say its rare to find 70% game superb and flawless 90-95% no matter how niche or different your personal taste is.

Also there are exceptions like if you KNOW a reviews taste then you can trust him more. Ive read reviews form som critics for 20 years now and I know exactly what kind of games they like so I hardly ever get disappointed by their judgement.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke
Last edited by zakhal; January 26th, 2011 at 17:14.
zakhal is offline

zakhal

zakhal's Avatar
VideoGamingWaste

#23

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Europa Universalis
Posts: 3,014

Default 

January 26th, 2011, 18:21
Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
Just because I talked about numbers you assumed I didnt actually read the reviews? Didnt you notice I posted three quots to add the numbers? Where do you think i got the quotes from? I got them from the different reviews I read. Bingo!

It generally means that the game is around 70% give or take few points say 65-75%. Id say its rare to find 70% game superb and flawless 90-95% no matter how niche or different your personal taste is.

Also there are exceptions like if you KNOW a reviews taste then you can trust him more. Ive read reviews form som critics for 20 years now and I know exactly what kind of games they like so I hardly ever get disappointed by their judgement.
You really love numbers huh? Fine you can love your precious 70%, but that still doesn't make them easily manipulated or just flat out meaningless. I've loved games that were ranked very low 2 stars, 50% whatever and I've hated games that were supposedly the next best thing since sliced bread.

It's a meaningless number to attract attention to the review, but if you have to have them then I would have hoped that the reviewers would attempt to do something along the lines that CRPGAddict has done. I don't find that's the case most of the time.

BTW, are we really going to debate numbered reviews? Sorta seems pointless to me.

I give this debate a 4 out of 10 rats.

See meaningless. What did I base that on? Other conversations I've had? Other debates?

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
skavenhorde is offline

skavenhorde

skavenhorde's Avatar
Little BRO Rat

#24

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 5,408

Default 

January 26th, 2011, 19:01
Who cares what some CRPGAddict mofo said, Gamespot gave it 6/10, pass.

The current official scale is 40% - 100%, btw.
((super reliable) source: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/go…-forsaken-gods)
DeepO is online now

DeepO

DeepO's Avatar
deep outside

#25

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Prague
Posts: 2,341

Default 

January 26th, 2011, 19:39
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
You really love numbers huh? Fine you can love your precious 70%, but that still doesn't make them easily manipulated or just flat out meaningless. I've loved games that were ranked very low 2 stars, 50% whatever and I've hated games that were supposedly the next best thing since sliced bread.

It's a meaningless number to attract attention to the review, but if you have to have them then I would have hoped that the reviewers would attempt to do something along the lines that CRPGAddict has done. I don't find that's the case most of the time.

BTW, are we really going to debate numbered reviews? Sorta seems pointless to me.

I give this debate a 4 out of 10 rats.

See meaningless. What did I base that on? Other conversations I've had? Other debates?
I just find it ridiculous to say that reviews dont mean anything and that there is a hidden gem in every poor to average score. After reading game reviews (and playing games) for 20 years Ive learned a lot of about them and they sure as hell arent useless.

Its nice that you have found your moneys worth from buying poor/average games. However for me buying poorly reviewed games (<insert here 30-40 games that suck>) has mostly been a waste of money so Ive learned to read the reviews. Saves both valuable money and time. And its fun too.

Originally Posted by DeepO View Post
The current official scale is 40% - 100%, btw.
((super reliable) source: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/go…-forsaken-gods)
And 70% is nicely in the middle.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke
Last edited by zakhal; January 26th, 2011 at 20:22.
zakhal is offline

zakhal

zakhal's Avatar
VideoGamingWaste

#26

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Europa Universalis
Posts: 3,014

Default 

January 26th, 2011, 21:09
Nope, never said that reviews are ridiculous. I SAID NUMBERS that go with reviews are worthless. Reviews are great, just lose the arbitrary numbers that mean less than nothing.

Debate Review - 2 out of 10 rats. 2 rats taken away for lack of comprehension skills.

@DeepO Thank you for linking that. I was thinking about doing that, but really didn't care that much about debating silly numbers that reviewers tack on willy nilly.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
skavenhorde is offline

skavenhorde

skavenhorde's Avatar
Little BRO Rat

#27

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 5,408

Default 

January 26th, 2011, 21:11
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
Nope, never said that reviews are ridiculous. I SAID NUMBERS that go with reviews are worthless. Reviews are great, just lose the arbitrary numbers that mean less than nothing.

2 out of 10 rats. 2 rats taken away for lack of comprehension skills.
My reading skills are related to the reading skills of other participants. So you get F too. ;*)

And no numbers are not worthless! Numbers like good pictures can be worth a thousand words. It all depends on how you use them.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke
Last edited by zakhal; January 26th, 2011 at 21:25.
zakhal is offline

zakhal

zakhal's Avatar
VideoGamingWaste

#28

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Europa Universalis
Posts: 3,014

Default 

January 26th, 2011, 21:19
No no no no no no!

It's not A, B, C, D, F system. That is standardized and has actual tests that go along with those scores. No we must have some number that we just grab however the mood suits us.

1 out of 10 rats now. Why? No reason. I just felt like taking a rat away.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
skavenhorde is offline

skavenhorde

skavenhorde's Avatar
Little BRO Rat

#29

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 5,408

Default 

January 26th, 2011, 21:29
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
No no no no no no!

It's not A, B, C, D, F system. That is standardized and has actual tests that go along with those scores. No we must have some number that we just grab however the mood suits us.

1 out of 10 rats now. Why? No reason. I just felt like taking a rat away.
I thought you hated numbers so I used alphabets instead. But I knew there was a hidden numbers-lover somwhere out there. Thanks for proving it.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke
zakhal is offline

zakhal

zakhal's Avatar
VideoGamingWaste

#30

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Europa Universalis
Posts: 3,014
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout: New Vegas - More DLC Coming
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:48.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch