|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature: Best RPG of 2010

Default RPGWatch Feature: Best RPG of 2010

January 28th, 2011, 11:28
Well, here we are at our annual Game of the Year awards. Our editors and many of our visitors have voted for the best RPG of 2010 over the last few days and we've tabulated the results. Head here to find out what game has won - and look for Worst RPG and Most Anticipated next week.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

January 28th, 2011, 11:28
Without a doubt a worthy winner! The best RPG of 2010 by quite a margin in my opinion.

Let's hope Obsidian continues to develop games of such quality. If they do, we're in for a treat!

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

January 28th, 2011, 11:49
Yes, I had a fantastic time with it - one of the best games in years for me.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

January 28th, 2011, 11:51
I knew what the winner was before I even clicked on the link.

Not surprised about the runner-up either.

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 28th, 2011, 12:12
Definately well deserved!

And I hoped DKS would get more mainstream attention (for the sake of Larian), it is such a great game.

BearishSun

Traveler

January 28th, 2011, 12:20
Mainstream forums barely take notice of DKS. They dont care that much even if I make posts about it and the good reviews it has received. All that seems to matter is that nobody has heard of this game so it cant be good or worth taking notice of. People seem to care more about advertisement/fame than good reviews.

Even light diablo clone like magicka gets more attention???

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

January 28th, 2011, 12:32
I made som posts about this DKS award and som new people noticed it and are instantly buying the game. Advertisement matters. If I get lucky I might get a review for it from the biggest and oldest scandinavian gaming magazine.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

January 28th, 2011, 13:12
Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
People seem to care more about advertisement/fame than good reviews.
And EA is currently showing to be a master of that !

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

January 28th, 2011, 13:13
Mainstream forums barely take notice of DKS. They dont care that much even if I make posts about it and the good reviews it has received.
I made som posts about this DKS award and som new people noticed it and are instantly buying the game.
All this in 12 minutes? Boy, you`ve got a future in PR :P

zadokAllen

Sentinel

January 28th, 2011, 13:17
Originally Posted by zadokAllen View Post
All this in 12 minutes? Boy, you`ve got a future in PR
Few sales wont make big difference but it warms the heart to see som new people get excited about the game and even buy it (instead of extended demoing).

And its kind of easy with this game since its good yet unknown game.

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

January 28th, 2011, 13:24
This will probably be one of the rare times a game will make it to the top list on best and worst. (Mass Effect 2)

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

January 28th, 2011, 14:34
Originally Posted by guenthar View Post
This will probably be one of the rare times a game will make it to the top list on best and worst. (Mass Effect 2)
Do not underestimate the power of Arcania

MrSanta78

Watcher

January 28th, 2011, 15:19
Very surprise editors voted for dragon age awakening. It was one of the most boring games I had ever played. Dragon Age was fun (as an interactive movie; the combat mechanics suck so replays lost their value); but awakening lacked the good parts of dragon age; and since the basic mechanics are so poor it really sucked. This is a cross with (for example) king bounty that has fun mechanics so even with a sucky presentation it is still 'fun' to play as a game.

Anyways that is just my opinion and obviously others (many?) disagree

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor

January 28th, 2011, 15:47
I thought Awakening was easily as good as DA:O, if not perhaps a little better even.

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 28th, 2011, 15:56
Same as 'you' really - was really disappointed by awakening.

kalniel

SasqWatch

January 28th, 2011, 16:44
Glad to see Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga got recognition.
Im just finishing the Ego Draconis portion and its been incredible experience so far.
The game is excellent in key aspects (quests, exploration, loot, character customization), on nightmare it is indeed challenging at times and Ive never played an RPG with such a good sense of humor.
I havent played the original ED, but some of the complaints I remember no longer apply (level difference between player and enemies no longer plays such an important role in calculating damage and majority of games most grindy aspect, flying fortresses, can be easily bypassed).
The game also shows how lack of hand holding can improve the overall experience and make finishing quests and exploration much more rewarding - its clearly the way to go, fuck quest markers!

Anyway, F:NVs first spot is well deserved (yeah, quest markers are there, but thats when multiple quest solutions, skill checks galore and faction interplay come to the rescue), its an open world game done (mostly) right.
I still had even more fun with DKS though, which alone means 2010 was a pretty damn good year for RPG-y titles in my book and I dont even have to count tight oldschool-y experience courtesy of Drakensang 2, quality campy entertainment courtesy of Mass Effect 2 and innovative take on genre courtesy of Alpha Protocol.
Overall I had unusually good times playing games released in 2010 .
Last edited by DeepO; January 28th, 2011 at 18:58.

DeepO

deep outside

January 28th, 2011, 16:58
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I knew what the winner was before I even clicked on the link.

Not surprised about the runner-up either.
From the staff I wasn't surprised, but from everyone else I really didn't know if F:NV would win or ME2 would get it again.

That freaking game won RPG GOTY all over the net.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

January 28th, 2011, 18:12
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
That freaking game won RPG GOTY all over the net.
I`d let`em have A GOTY, but RPG GOTY that`s bit far fetched.

zadokAllen

Sentinel

January 28th, 2011, 18:51
Well, I doubt this will make me very popular, but I have been underwhelmed by FNV, and I *LOVED* Fallout 3 (and its DLC, and the many mods). I don't know … maybe I just haven't "gotten to the good part" yet.

Divinity II took me by surprise and was probably my favorite RPG of 2010. I had had my eye on Ego Draconis when it was in development, but I never bit when it was released. I'm so glad I changed my mind when both came up in a deal on Steam over the holidays.

ME2 was probably my second favorite of last year, although I have to admit that I'm tiring of Bioware's formula.

My third favorite (although I know it doesn't count here since it is - so far - console-only) I'm sure will earn me further wrath from my peers here: Fable 3. Sorry, loved it. Have loved all three Fables even though I know that makes me lesser than human for doing so.

rbtroj

Watchdog

January 28th, 2011, 19:06
Well, I didn't actually play Mass Effect 2, so perhaps I shouldn't comment, but I will anyway.
I did play the original ME, and it is not an RPG, in my opinion, nor did I particularly like it as a game of any kind. At this point, I'm pretty thoroughly bored of the interactive movie games with overwrought cutscenes blighted by hackneyed dialogue. (I'm looking at you, Bioware.)
And speaking of blight, I couldn't bring myself to buy DA:Awakenings, either. I truly wanted to like DA:Origins. It is an RPG…but ultimately a weak one, in my view. Poor character development (in terms of stats and skills that railroaded you into relatively few choices like most MMORPGs do) and uninspired filler combat sequences just didn't hold my interst. DA:O did some things well, too, but ultimately I couldn't bring myself to slog through anymore Blight.
I can hardly believe Bioware will be blighting the genre with more Blight in DA2. Barring any unforseen surprises, I'll be gladly letting the latest edition of the Bioware formula pass me by.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature: Best RPG of 2010