|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Two Worlds II - Zero Punctuation Review

Default Two Worlds II - Zero Punctuation Review

March 3rd, 2011, 21:52
I'm not a huge fan of Zero Punctuation but for those of you who are, his review of Two Worlds II is up. Do I need to say it gets criticised?
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 3rd, 2011, 21:52
Speaking as someone who has not yet finished the game, I'm finding it to be a real treat. The biggest surprise? The outstanding depth in some of the quests. There are some pretty neat choice and consequence parts that are not telegraphed. The spell system is enormous. Combat is fast paced, yet strategic. There are multiple ways of solving many of the quests. You can absolutely get crunched if you don't choose the right types of damage, etc. I'm about 50 hours in over two characters and still haven't left Chapter 1. The beginning island is weak and dull but once you get past "Tutorial Island", the game really opens up and becomes fun.

Beware the Ants!

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

March 3rd, 2011, 22:03
Just wait till you get to chapter 2, where - imho of course - the game really shines!

Elwro

Filthy Codex Spy

March 3rd, 2011, 22:19
Yay! I may not get there for a long while yet. I'm chronic about restarting games and I'm already getting the itch for my third character. It's a hoot!

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

March 3rd, 2011, 22:30
Bleh. Those kinds of video reviews are much more about the reviewers showing everyone else how witty and clever they think they are with their words and presentation than they are about whatever it is they are supposed to be reviewing.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

March 3rd, 2011, 22:38
Yahtzee's losing his touch IMO, there's WAY more to bash in TW2, and also way more to praise as well. He barely touched the game I think (didn't even find the gear switches… used the hotbar switches only )… playing the drums like a Guitar Antihero, sailing that is boring, horses that have large heads, amazing flying corpses… Nope. Wasted potential of a review; ZP is losing its unique edge. You should've seen his early reviews, he's REALLY funny

All in all I had much higher hopes on this one, considering the quite intelligent (even though also based on short time with the game) bashing of the Witcher 1. I mean, bashing the game's name is just too easy…

Propheet

Watcher

March 4th, 2011, 03:50
I don't know if you could even call it a review - he pretty much always hates everything. I've got to admit, though, he does make me chuckle.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

March 4th, 2011, 06:01
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Speaking as someone who has not yet finished the game, I'm finding it to be a real treat. The biggest surprise? The outstanding depth in some of the quests. There are some pretty neat choice and consequence parts that are not telegraphed. The spell system is enormous. Combat is fast paced, yet strategic. There are multiple ways of solving many of the quests. You can absolutely get crunched if you don't choose the right types of damage, etc. I'm about 50 hours in over two characters and still haven't left Chapter 1. The beginning island is weak and dull but once you get past "Tutorial Island", the game really opens up and becomes fun.

Beware the Ants!
for me it was a big disappointment. I played about 2 hours into the second chapter a few months ago, then stopped and I haven't touched it since. I suppose I let all the negative press it was getting affect me. Not being able to explore the big island was a turn-off. Overall, my interest kind of fizzled.

I even imported the Royal edition from Germany. I'm more impressed with the packaging and its contents than I am with the game. I have the Queen figurine on a stand in my room. I just wish the game wasn't so misleading with certain areas, ect. Maybe I'll take another shot at it someday, but not anytime soon…

spiraling69

Sentinel

March 4th, 2011, 14:57
I heard a lot of people were bummed about the "lack of content". I can't complain because I've already paid the measly sum of $1/hour for my entertainment. Since I have about 15 unfinished quests and 40 completed, it'd be silly for me to complain about not getting enough bang for my buck.

Reesa is such a little hottie I finally got my "reward" from her last night. Woo hoo!

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

March 4th, 2011, 15:30
I didn't bought it either because of gamer's posts in official forum :

"Enemies don't spawn in areas without a quest"
"Big island is empty"

Also the horrible horse riding in the game play video.

Tragos

Otinanist

March 4th, 2011, 16:26
Hmmm, there are plenty of enemies in quest and non-quest areas. I don't know if this was patched in or if the post was misleading. What does happen is that if you visit a quest area before a reason to do so, it may be empty. This is only logical in many cases. I know for sure that you can cleanse a dungeon before getting a quest, which sometimes makes the quest a little anticlimactic. I was with a companion one time and they sent me ahead to clear out some monsters surrounding a teleporter. I had cleansed the area on a previous visit, so I just walked to the teleporter and they praised my vast fighting skills, which they didn't actually witness

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

March 4th, 2011, 16:30
Regarding RPGs Zero Punctuation are completely clueless.
Their review of one quality RPG (forgot which one, may be The Witcher) showed that they basically don't like anything, which is more complex than a shooter.

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

March 4th, 2011, 16:43
Originally Posted by bkrueger View Post
Regarding RPGs Zero Punctuation are completely clueless. …etc…
People who say stuff like that are clueless about Zero Punctuation.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

March 4th, 2011, 17:12
Originally Posted by BillSeurer View Post
People who say stuff like that are clueless about Zero Punctuation.
Seems a little bit ad hominem..
I followed his reviews on other genres for some time and actually liked them. But it was clear, when he started with RPGs, that he simply doesn't like properties, which make RPGs RPGs (which is different from making gererally sarcasitic reviews etc.).
If he doesn't like the genre at all, there is not much sense in reviewing games in that genre. So I stand by my point that he is clueless about RPGs, because he criticises RPGs for having properties of RPGs without realising this fact.

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

March 4th, 2011, 17:18
On the contrary, he has liked some RPGs. He still needles them of course because even the best games have stupid stuff in them.

Proof from his DA:O review:

I haven't mentioned whether Dragon Age is good or not yet, and here's why: because at time of writing—I mean, speaking—I've been playing for twenty-five hours and there's still no end in sight. There are three-day accountancy conventions that don't feel as long as this game, but you know what? I'm actually enjoying it. …

It's easy to mock the straightfaced cliche of it all, but the fact that I can play it for twenty-five hours and still want to know what happens next means that I shouldn't complain …

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

March 4th, 2011, 17:24
On the contrary, he has liked some RPGs. He still needles them of course because even the best games have stupid stuff in them.
…in the review I am thinking of, he didn't needle them for the stupid stuff, but for being to complicated (which I and many people on RPGWatch would call: for not being dumbed down enough).
But to each his own…

Edit: With respect to your DA:O example: The cases I have in mind, are older and I didn't bother to follow him after that. Him liking DA:O doesn't prove anything IMHO, because DA:O ist not an example of a complex RPG (except you measure it against the further dumbing down in DA2).

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

March 4th, 2011, 17:35
…because DA:O ist not an example of a complex RPG
Oh God… Yeah, whatever.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

March 4th, 2011, 17:42
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
crpgNUT.
have you hated any crpg?

SAGO

Typical RPGWatch user

March 4th, 2011, 17:47
, because DA:O ist not an example of a complex RPG
Oh God… Yeah, whatever.
OK I admit I went over the top here a little bit..

But as a compensation: Here is a link to a post by DArtagnan, which sums up my feelings about Zero Punctuation's Witcher piece quite nicely.

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

March 4th, 2011, 17:50
Obnoxious and uninformative "review" as usual.
Still, I take this over many "exclusive" reviews any day.

What you think about most, is what you become.
Last edited by DeepO; March 4th, 2011 at 18:01.

DeepO

deep outside

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Two Worlds II - Zero Punctuation Review