|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Games Reviews & Comments » Planescape: Torment

Default Planescape: Torment

September 9th, 2010, 20:56
A sinister AD&D fantasy RPG produced by Guido Henkel (Realms of Arkania games), Planescape Torment is powered by the Infinity engine that was also used in the Baldur's Gate series and Icewind Dale.
You play a scarred, amnesiac immortal in search of his identity. You awake on a cold stone slab in the Mortuary of the City of Sigil. You have no idea how you got there, who you are, or any of your past identity(s). You must escape and explore the strange world to uncover the secret of your death and rebirth…
More information.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

September 9th, 2010, 20:56
Planescape: Torment is a story driven crpg of the so called "Nameless One" that takes place in Sigill - the center of the AD&D-Multiverse. The game has memorable NPCs like

Morte, the floating skull,
Dak'kon, a githzerai,
Nordom, a modron disconnected from its species' hive mind,
Fall-From-Grace is a succubus-proprietress of the Brothel of Slating Intellectual Lusts,
Vhailor an animated suit of armor,
Ignus, a pyromaniacal mage,
Annah-of-the-Shadows, a young and brash thief and tiefling.

Your main character - The Nameless One - has one main quest: "Who am I and why I am immortal ?" - he has to travel through Sigill, through planes, through his own mind and past existences to find answers.

The game is not combat heavy, there are some interesting factions in the game and a lot of dialog; in fact the game is like an interactive novel. Many quests can be solved by asking the right questions and giving the right answers at the right time.

If you're searching for an unique crpg with many new ideas, lots of dialog, non-standard races, interesting party interaction and a cool story - here's your game.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

March 31st, 2011, 21:04
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
Planescape: Torment is a story driven crpg of the so called "Nameless One" that takes place in Sigill - the center of the AD&D-Multiverse. The game has memorable NPCs like

Morte, the floating skull,
Dak'kon, a githzerai,
Nordom, a modron disconnected from its species' hive mind,
Fall-From-Grace is a succubus-proprietress of the Brothel of Slating Intellectual Lusts,
Vhailor an animated suit of armor,
Ignus, a pyromaniacal mage,
Annah-of-the-Shadows, a young and brash thief and tiefling.
when you describe the characters like that, its sound familiar to the cast in NVN2 OC

"I teach you the ‹bermensch. Man is something to be surpassed. What have you done to surpass mankind?"
-Some crazy guy that makes me sperge it up

SAGO

Typical RPGWatch user

April 1st, 2011, 14:28
Originally Posted by SAGO View Post
when you describe the characters like that, its sound familiar to the cast in NVN2 OC
More like MotB. Which takes several cues from PS:T.

kalniel

SasqWatch

April 1st, 2011, 14:58
This might explain why I've had trouble getting into MotB.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

April 1st, 2011, 15:41
I still call Kaelyn-the-Dove or whatever her name is Fall-From-Grace instead.

My favourite NPC from PS:T did not make a return in MotB though: Dak'kon. Fully exploring his dialogue options as a mage with high int/wis is quite interesting.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

September 2nd, 2013, 21:40
Planescape Torment Review by
The Gentleman Critic

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

October 9th, 2013, 22:51
Originally Posted by blatantninja View Post
This might explain why I've had trouble getting into MotB.
And this doesn't explain why I've had trouble getting into PS:T. I never succeed leave the morgue and wonder how players find the patience to finish that part. I was bored to hear that there's something I don't know and there's to know, for me the heavy insistence was very bad tedious writing.

Ihaterpg

Banned

October 9th, 2013, 23:02
Not only we had patience, we explored it in so much detail that in the end we got (or was it later when you return to explore it just in the case you didn't miss something) an ability to
Spoiler

PST is not Diablo. Every single detail counts. Exiting the morgue too fast means skipping many interesting stuff.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

October 12th, 2013, 12:03
I know I know my opinion on the game means nothing because I haven't really played it yet. But reference Diablo is bad, because it reminds me that this beginning of PS:T is showing one of the most crappy fights design that I ever played only beat by Arcanum.

And for both it's far to be a detail because it's a main part of the game from number of fights to number of skills and items just related to fights. I'm impressed that some players can suffer such tedious moments in a game but for me it's one more reason why I couldn't bear the beginning of this game (but at replay attempts the story telling in the morgue was always the reason to "enough I give up").

And don't underestimate the digging I could have done in the game in this game beginning, even that I found it a poor bad design with hidden stuff with zero hints, it's crap "secret" design. Well it's an ambiguous point because the hints quality is nothing objective.

EDIT: One very weird thing is I remember have first played it at release with a French version and I noticed this version seems have vanished and many players had guaranty me that it was released only in English and only a mod was adding a French version. Alas I just have the box and lost the CD.

Ihaterpg

Banned

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Games Reviews & Comments » Planescape: Torment